No Way Home "We're Beyond You Calling Me Sir" - The Stephen Thread

What if it's not Strange that we see in the trailer, but Mephisto? That could explain why Strange seems off. I mean, that's one fan theory that I've heard.

What if it's not Strange that we see in the trailer, but Mephisto? That could explain why Strange seems off. I mean, that's one fan theory that I've heard.

It could be Strange up until he casts the spell, and then when there's that glitch and Peter asks "what just happened" that's when he's been transported to another universe or Strange has been replaced by a variant.

As long as the Communist Party in China has its laundry list of taboo subjects and imagery (The Devil is one...) we can all put to bed any theory that hangs on Mephisto being a central character in anything MCU on the big screen.

Granted... They are pretty ****ing selective. Time Travel is also taboo so I don't know how they approached ENDGAME.

I think Mephisto is the less likely prospect, but shouldn't be ruled out entirely.

I still have problems with Strange being so seemingly reckless. I have to wonder if it's either a fake out by Strange and the spell doesn't have the consequences he says it does and he's just giving Peter the "It's a Wonderful Life" treatment or it's Mysterio just messing with him.

100% that's not the real Dr. Strange. 100%.

It's so obvious, his mannerism, his look. Benedict is so subtle with his performance, but if you look, really look, you can see that it's not the same Dr. Strange as before. It's also not in line with his character in the MCU. Strange is many things, but incompetent, irresponsible, selfish he is not. He would gladly sacrifice anyone for the greater good. And he wouldn't hesitate once. So this is 100% not the real Strange we know and love. It's a red herring, and an obvious one imo.

Too many red flags for me to blindly believe in this being real. Trailers love doing this, nothing is as obvious as it looks. I think there are moments in this trailer where we see the real Strange and the fake one.

It's so obvious, his mannerism, his look. Benedict is so subtle with his performance, but if you look, really look, you can see that it's not the same Dr. Strange as before. It's also not in line with his character in the MCU. Strange is many things, but incompetent, irresponsible, selfish he is not. He would gladly sacrifice anyone for the greater good. And he wouldn't hesitate once. So this is 100% not the real Strange we know and love. It's a red herring, and an obvious one imo.

Too many red flags for me to blindly believe in this being real. Trailers love doing this, nothing is as obvious as it looks. I think there are moments in this trailer where we see the real Strange and the fake one.

Or...

It is Strange and as with a whole lot of the MCU, character consistency and inherent dignity is thrown out the window whenever the chance to land a "joke" presents itself?

MCU heroes being presented as incompetent or borderline negligent is... not new. The MCU's creators not getting that humor can indeed undermine stories, themes and characters is also... not a surprise or somehow out of the blue.

And fans granting a mulligan and never seeing this flaw or calling it out enough is why they keep doing this **** and allowing a company line of injecting too much Dad joke level BS to permeate and in my opinion drags down about 50% of their product.

I'm betting that this is, in fact... **** writing. No conspiracy, no "secret cameo", no easter egg with implications that prove whatever pet fanboy theory is one's current favorite. It's just low effort MCU Ha-Ha **** that sticks out like a sore thumb because it's there just to be there.

It's Strange.

Yeah it’s just Strange suffering from the sorta inconsistent characterization that has become a staple of MCU flicks. It’s fine though because I’m not watching this film for him like at all.

MC5gq6f.jpeg

It could be Strange up until he casts the spell, and then when there's that glitch and Peter asks "what just happened" that's when he's been transported to another universe or Strange has been replaced by a variant.
yes, everyone's quick to jump on the Mephito band wagon, but him being a variant seems like the most likely scenario... surprised this isn't a more popular theory

grained if the switch does happen mid-way through the spell that still doesn't explain some of his odd mannerism or his willingness to even do the spell in the first place so perhaps something happen to him even prior to that... or its just a inconsistency to his character for the porpoise of moving the story along

Or it's just, you know, Strange under different writers.

I’m gonna go with inconsistent writing. Wouldn’t be the first time we’ve seen it in the MCU.

Doctor Strange is always a plus. His spell conjuring looked cool.
I think he'll be a pretty good supporting character.

Having said that DS really f'ed it up. It's so reckless and dumb of him to attempt a spell of that magnitude, bringing so many things into play, the dangers of the multiverse... you would think someone with his overall experience wouldn't attempt such a thing. And the way SM messes it up by talking while he's doing the spell and he still continues on, it's a bit of a stretch for DS to through with it but otherwise we wouldn't have this particular film.

Doctor Strange is always a plus. His spell conjuring looked cool.
I think he'll be a pretty good supporting character.

Having said that DS really f'ed it up. It's so reckless and dumb of him to attempt a spell of that magnitude, bringing so many things into play, the dangers of the multiverse... you would think someone with his overall experience wouldn't attempt such a thing. And the way SM messes it up by talking while he's doing the spell and he still continues on, it's a bit of a stretch for DS to through with it but otherwise we wouldn't have this particular film.

Here is the thing... How experienced is Strange really at the Mystic Protector racket?

What is the time difference between DA1 and IW/AEG? Cuz if it is real time then he had maybe five years in the role as Wong's junior mind you, and then another five... dead.

I can't not think of Strange as THE Sorcerer Supreme... But truthfully Strange is still in the MCU one of a contingent of magic users, not THE MAN yet.

I hope MoM formally establishes Strange as The Sorcerer's Supreme, title and all that goes with it.

Doctor Strange was always the one other Marvel hero I actually wanted to see him team up with in one of these Marvel Studios Spidey movies, besides Daredevil. We're somewhat getting both in this movie and that's pretty cool. The two Ditko boys and the two street level boys.

So...and this is more Wong related than Strange related, but here goes...

When Peter first goes to the Sanctum, it's stated that Strange is no longer the Sorcerer Supreme since he died in the blip and that title has passed to Wong. My question there is that even though there was never any concrete evidence as to what happened to Wong in the snap, I guess everyone just assumed that he died because he didn't show up until the end of Endgame. Which begs the question, was he too busy engaging in underground fighting to help out the Avengers during the time heist? Both Bruce and Tony knew Wong, so if he was alive why didn't they recruit him to help them out?

I also found it odd that Wong introduced himself to Peter even though they were standing like 10 feet apart from each other at Tony's funeral, but that's just me nitpicking.

So...and this is more Wong related than Strange related, but here goes...

When Peter first goes to the Sanctum, it's stated that Strange is no longer the Sorcerer Supreme since he died in the blip and that title has passed to Wong. My question there is that even though there was never any concrete evidence as to what happened to Wong in the snap, I guess everyone just assumed that he died because he didn't show up until the end of Endgame. Which begs the question, was he too busy engaging in underground fighting to help out the Avengers during the time heist? Both Bruce and Tony knew Wong, so if he was alive why didn't they recruit him to help them out?

I also found it odd that Wong introduced himself to Peter even though they were standing like 10 feet apart from each other at Tony's funeral, but that's just me nitpicking.

Easiest answer:
He was too busy dealing with magical crap to involve himself in what might seem to be a boondoggle. After all, we *know* the Order of Kamar-Taj is busy, and now they are down half their personnel again after probably still being short staffed from Kaecilius' rampage.

Well it looks like it was 100% the real Dr Strange. 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"