• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

What’s wrong with a Period Piece Captain America movie?

chiefchirpa

Haaa-rooooooo
Reaction score
Indiana Jones is a period piece film, and the next one is the most anticipated movie of 2008!

Setting the movie locked in WW2 period will ensure the Pan-Americanism that Cap represents to be more likeable to International audiences than his nemesis on the screen, the Nazis. This is an opportunity to create a pseudo-historical thorough perspective of a technologically advanced yet morally deficient Nazi Germany where characters like Red Skull, Baron Zemo, HateMonger and Arnim Zola can shine. The movie will be infinitely more cohesive and movie audience will not be shaken by jumping storylines. Take a cue from Indiana Jones: you can make an adventure out of fictional past times. Be optimistic that there’s going to be a second movie for the modern age (and I’m not talking about Avengers here). Hey even Ghost Rider has a chance to have a 2nd movie, a premiere character like Captain America can do, too.

I’m once a believer of 50/50 WW2/Modern first Cap movie. Now I think that WW2 Cap is in really need to be fleshed out and non-comic readers must root for the Captain if the movie is made against the Nazi.

a period piece cap movie woud be different that the other modern day based marvel films give it a try

Nothing wrong with it, whatsoever. I'd get behind a Cap flick set during World War II in a heartbeat, just so long as the whole film franchise didn't focus on that era, a la Indiana Jones.

Period superhero movies don't go down well at the box office.

The Shadow, The Rocketeer and The Phantom for example.

And those are all way before the huge comic book movie rush, plus all of those movies sucked...

I think it's the same thing with a period WW movie : Too expensive.

Basing something in this day & age is much cheaper then to basing something from the NAzi era. You've got to build real sets of those old buildings and/or use CGI to create those stuff. It's an added problem to an otherwise already hefty CG budget. Instead of just focusing on Cap. America, they'll also have to focus to create a very realistic CG city.

There's nothing wrong with a period piece. We've had plenty of WW2 films these past two years and they did O.K.

Because Captain America's story in Marvel Comics isn't about World War II; it's about being a man from World War II in the modern era. Not that I don't enjoy some of the flashback tales, but the great stories with the character are set in the present day.

Answer to this question: nothing. Just that Marvel will end up wanting to do both at once.

Because Captain America's story in Marvel Comics isn't about World War II; it's about being a man from World War II in the modern era. Not that I don't enjoy some of the flashback tales, but the great stories with the character are set in the present day.

WWII is not a blip in his history. It established his whole personality. Cap has basically two origins, thus he should have two origin movies.

WWII is not a blip in his history. It established his whole personality.
Cap showed up in the Marvel U Avengers #4. His story is in the present day; I don't object to spending some time in World War II (although I'd prefer it in flashbacks), but a whole movie isn't a good idea.
Cap has basically two origins, thus he should have two origin movies.
He has one origin, it's just a long one. Two origin movies is fatuous.

They should do the first movie during WW2 then have Captain America unfrozen in the Avengers movie intro.

They should do the first movie during WW2 then have Captain America unfrozen in the Avengers movie intro.
At which point you have to dedicate a signficant portion of the movie to Cap joining the 21st century, which will create a further complication in what is likely to already be a precarious balancing act.

Cap showed up in the Marvel U Avengers #4. His story is in the present day; I don't object to spending some time in World War II (although I'd prefer it in flashbacks), but a whole movie isn't a good idea.

He has one origin, it's just a long one. Two origin movies is fatuous.

To treat it as a blip is a mistake. Spending one movie showing us who he is makes us more sympathetic toward his situation in Cap 2.

Also, in an Avengers movie, as leader, Cap would be the main character anyway. So him being reawaken in Avengers is not a bad idea, though I would personally rather see it done in two Captain America movies.

Cyclops would disagree.

Wolverine = more profitable, and one of Marvel's more popular characters.

Are you going to tell me Thor and Iron Man are more popular than Captain America like Wolverine is with Cyclops?

Also, FOX sucks, and Singer didn't know how to handle Cyclops (as he looked for excuses to get rid of him...as well as the execs with X3).

At which point you have to dedicate a signficant portion of the movie to Cap joining the 21st century, which will create a further complication in what is likely to already be a precarious balancing act.

good point.

I didn't consider that.

Wolverine = more profitable, and one of Marvel's more popular characters.

Are you going to tell me Thor and Iron Man are more popular than Captain America like Wolverine is with Cyclops?
Not to the degree that Wolverine towers over Cylcops, but if Iron Man (and The Incredible Hulk, if he's in) is more popular than Captain America (and I think there's a good chance of both), then Iron Man and the Hulk would be the audience favourites.

Anyway, there's a difference between Cap as the leader of the Avengers and using the Avengers film to show Cap arriving in the 21st century; to my mind, that would go way beyond making him the main character; it would give him the lion's share of the emotional/character development, and probably most of the screentime not dedicated to action/the main plot. He's hypothetically sharing the screen with the stars of three or four other films; it can't be about him.

Not to the degree that Wolverine towers over Cylcops, but if Iron Man (and The Incredible Hulk, if he's in) is more popular than Captain America (and I think there's a good chance of both), then Iron Man and the Hulk would be the audience favourites.

Anyway, there's a difference between Cap as the leader of the Avengers and using the Avengers film to show Cap arriving in the 21st century; to my mind, that would go way beyond making him the main character; it would give him the lion's share of the emotional/character development, and probably most of the screentime not dedicated to action/the main plot. He's hypothetically sharing the screen with the stars of three or four other films; it can't be about him.

Part of the reason I'd rather see it handled in two Captain America movies. I would film them back to back.

I'm all for WWII Cap movie as it should be.

Indiana Jones is a period piece film, and the next one is the most anticipated movie of 2008!

Setting the movie locked in WW2 period will ensure the Pan-Americanism that Cap represents to be more likeable to International audiences than his nemesis on the screen, the Nazis. This is an opportunity to create a pseudo-historical thorough perspective of a technologically advanced yet morally deficient Nazi Germany where characters like Red Skull, Baron Zemo, HateMonger and Arnim Zola can shine. The movie will be infinitely more cohesive and movie audience will not be shaken by jumping storylines. Take a cue from Indiana Jones: you can make an adventure out of fictional past times. Be optimistic that there’s going to be a second movie for the modern age (and I’m not talking about Avengers here). Hey even Ghost Rider has a chance to have a 2nd movie, a premiere character like Captain America can do, too.

I’m once a believer of 50/50 WW2/Modern first Cap movie. Now I think that WW2 Cap is in really need to be fleshed out and non-comic readers must root for the Captain if the movie is made against the Nazi.

Agreed. In my opinion, it's totally nescessary. We have to FEEL Steve Rogers pain and sense of loss....the only way to do that is to develop the supporting cast over the course of the entire movie, then abruptly take that all away in a sequel....that way, a sequel set in modern times can establish a whole new mood and atmosphere.

The main problem would be that one of Cap's best traits is the fact that's he's a fish out of water, finding himself in a completely different world.

I think it would work best to make the first act or so in WWII, then the rest would be in today.

The main problem would be that one of Cap's best traits is the fact that's he's a fish out of water, finding himself in a completely different world.

I think it would work best to make the first act or so in WWII, then the rest would be in today.

It is great, but isn't this enhanced if we see what he truely lost? Not just developed the Skull, a battle of two, maybe his origin, and then just plucked him out?

I think the fish out of water aspect is ENHANCED when we see him in WWII for one movie.

nothing wrong with all-WWII Cap.. but alas, Marvel's powers that be are too enamored with the man-out-of-time angle to see it that way..

I think that maybe part of it is that they feel that they would be limiting the film's audience. I think that it is pretty obvious that they are going to make this accessible to kids, so they maybe they feel a period piece wouldn't work.

Don't get me wrong, I think a Captain America movie set soley during WWII would be great, I'm just trying to look at it from a business point-of-view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"