What does the prospect of 'The Graysons' mean for 'Smallville'?

04nbod

I need to debrief you
Reaction score
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117993158.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

2 of PS3 are preping the pre-robin Dick Grayson series. Does this mean that they have given up on season 9 of smallville? Has Welling said no? Do they just realise they don't need 4 executive producers? Also if this gets the go ahead what would be its time slot? Is it a Smallville replacement? Would the CW really put a new comic book series on when they seem to love fashion and vapid gossip shows so much more?
Discuss...

It means that the CW really have their heads up their rears. I really would have loved to hear them throwin ideas around for another Superhero show, and one guy goes "Yea, I know...let's do a Robin show...only before Robin...because we all know how interesting his young circuis life must have been!" :whatever:

I think the producers are being safe. They would have another show to do should Smallville end this season. If not, then they have 2 shows. The CW at least think it's important to keep that sci-fi crowd with another show like smallville though. I guess they don't want the network to turn into One Tree Gossip Creek land. lol

how about make a tv show about a hero, not a sidekick?

I was talking to the guy at our local CW affiliate this morning about other things and he ran this by me before I even saw it here. He knows that I'm a bit of a superhero nut so we always talk about Smallville related things on the side of our normal business conversations. Anyway, I asked him a very similar question to the one in the thread title and this was his answer:

1. The Network realizes that their bread and butter is really the genre sci fi stuff, even as much as they try push the GG, 90210, stuff. They feel like they may have missed an earlier opportunity to supplement and grow their "very loyal" Smallville audience.

2. Their only committed to a pilot at the moment. This could very well end up like Aquaman depending on who's in charge of the Network come pilot season or if it just blows.

3. Smallville will go as long as its "viable" and they have "Superman" under contract. (his words :D ) Dont read anything into Souders and Peterson producing the Graysons. Millar and Gough produced Aquaman while still on Smallville in 2006.

plus as for replacing Smallville. I'm pretty sure the reason CW is continuing Reaper is to fill Smallville's slot next to Supernatural, once Smallville ends.

Which in retrospect wont matter much if SV gets a season 9, considering that'll be SPN's last season...

The better idea would be to have Robin make a guest apperance on Smallville.

They basically want to make Dick a crime fighter before he's robin(thus no suit). Theyll probably pull a Batman forever(having an older dick). So if the show went 8 years, he'd be 30 when he becomes robin. I wouldnt mind them following robin when he is robin. But the cw seems to be under the delusion that all heroes have a PRE SUPERHERO story. Smallville pre superman thing was lost when they brought in all the superman elements. Robin is not important til he starts training with batman.

The better idea would be to have Robin make a guest apperance on Smallville.

Indeed.

If CW really wants a superhero show to step up in the event of Smallville's demise, I see no better candidate than Green Arrow.

"The Graysons" has a 50/50 chance of being horrible, while Justin Hartley is just made of awesome. So it's an easy choice if I were head of WB/CW.

Indeed.

If CW really wants a superhero show to step up in the event of Smallville's demise, I see no better candidate than Green Arrow.

"The Graysons" has a 50/50 chance of being horrible, while Justin Hartley is just made of awesome. So it's an easy choice if I were head of WB/CW.

That's the direction I thought they were going in when I found out that Green Arrow was going to be a regular on the show this season. Maybe if " The Graysons" gets rejected for a series they'll give GA a shot.

why dont do just do a Robin show instead of a Dick Grayson I mean they've showed how hero becomes a hero... why not show how a sidekick becomes a hero.

why dont do just do a Robin show instead of a Dick Grayson I mean they've showed how hero becomes a hero... why not show how a sidekick becomes a hero.

I agree, if you have to do a show on Dick Grayson, you go one of two ways.

A) Have him just becoming Robin and show him balancing his life as a crime fighter with the normal everyday stuff a teenager goes through. Although the problem with this approach is Batman/Bruce would have to play a huge part in any such show.

or

B) Have him splitting off from Batman and going his own way in Bludhaven and going through the transition of sidekick to hero. You still get to play in the Bat Universe, yet you avoid the "Bruce Wayne problem." He's also young enough, early to mid 20's, where he can have the general life issues that fit the demo of a network like the CW.

SV has four executive producers, so it doesn't affect the show that much. Two producers in charge are more than enough to take care of one show while the other two work on the pilot/series.

The CW should think about cooler characters, Nightwing is much more interesting than "The Graysons" circus life. It seems they don't have the money for a JL series, which is SFX heavy, so we get what everyone was waiting for, a pre-Robin show! :whatever:

Wooow. Didn't see this one coming. The idea does not appeal to me.

I agree, if you have to do a show on Dick Grayson, you go one of two ways.

A) Have him just becoming Robin and show him balancing his life as a crime fighter with the normal everyday stuff a teenager goes through. Although the problem with this approach is Batman/Bruce would have to play a huge part in any such show.

or

B) Have him splitting off from Batman and going his own way in Bludhaven and going through the transition of sidekick to hero. You still get to play in the Bat Universe, yet you avoid the "Bruce Wayne problem." He's also young enough, early to mid 20's, where he can have the general life issues that fit the demo of a network like the CW.

What weird is, why wouldn't they do a Nightwing series instead. I hope it means that Tom said No to a 9th season and SV will end properly this year.

Unfortunately, we could still have a S9 plus this pre-Robin circus. SV producers are showing again why we had so much angsty teen crap in the show, they love it! Now they want to repeat the same BS with the boy wonder.

It means that the CW really have their heads up their rears. I really would have loved to hear them throwin ideas around for another Superhero show, and one guy goes "Yea, I know...let's do a Robin show...only before Robin...because we all know how interesting his young circuis life must have been!" :whatever:

Yeah, each week will feature a "circus freak" robbing people, killing them, etc..

This type of show wouldn't really work if he doesn't have some sort of powers, or a costume.

Unless this show will display his detective skills, before teaming with Batman, and you would hear of the Batman striking every few episodes.

To me, I just don't see how this show could be interesting. A Nightwing show could work. But "DJ" having relationship problems with the bearded lady?? Not so much.:o:whatever:

This is ******** ... you can't have dick Grayson/Robin without Batman

The reaction from most fans in the internet is very negative, is just incredible SV producers could be this stupid to have such an idea, when a Nightwing show would be so much cooler than this "DJ" soap opera crap.... oh wait, we're talking about the ones who love writing angsty teen drama. :rolleyes:

The Graysons sounds like such a bad idea. Maybe if you had a show with a young Bruce Wayne you could tie the two series( Smallville-Gotham?) together. I just don't see why they would want to deal with a pre-Robin Greyson because it's not as compelling. Maybe in the second season when he moves in with Bruce and starts to become Robin. So basically this would be a Batman show from Robin's point of view I'm hoping.
A Nightwing series would of seemed like a good idea to me.

I don't see why they just don't go with the Green Arrow spin off.

The reaction from most fans in the internet is very negative, is just incredible SV producers could be this stupid to have such an idea, when a Nightwing show would be so much cooler than this "DJ" soap opera crap.... oh wait, we're talking about the ones who love writing angsty teen drama. :rolleyes:

funny I dont recall seeing any "angsty teen drama" this season now that they've been running the show :huh:

I'm with everyone else with this one, the two producers of Smallville and the producers of Supermatural should make a Nightwing show rather than a show about a young Dick Grayson.

Besides in many of the orgins for Robin, Grayson is 12 when his parents are murdered and when he is taken in by Bruce.
So it wouldn't make any sense for a show about a teenage Grayson (pre-Robin)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"