• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What gets Rebirthed next?

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
We're just starting to get into the second wave of Rebirth titles like Justice League of America, Batwoman, and Super-Sons. What's next?

Obviously, both the Justice Society and Legion of Super-Heroes were teased in the Rebirth special, with the JSA (Jay Garrick in particular) getting an extra tease in The Flash a few months back.

Depending on who is being detained with Tim Drake, could a Young Justice book be on the way? Geoff Johns said right around the time the Rebirth was kicking off that he wasn't a fan of the New 52's iteration of Superboy, so it's perfectly reasonable to assume that Conner could re-enter the fold.

Dan Jurgens seems to be teasing a return for Booster Gold.

A new Justice League Dark, perhaps, considering the property has already been taken into animation and will very possibly have a live action film in the near future? Gotham City Sirens, for the same reasons?

I'll be very curious to see how the whole line develops.

If Warren Ellis is rebooting the Wildstorm universe, perhaps DC will do something with Milestone?

If Warren Ellis is rebooting the Wildstorm universe, perhaps DC will do something with Milestone?
"Milestone Rebirth" is in the works. I think they're just waiting on Jim Lee...

Considering they appeared on the Rebirth splash page, plus the whole upcoming movie thing, I'm expecting a Marvel family book can't be far off...

Martian Manhunter and the Marvel Family are both still MIA from the original Rebirth group poster. Out of what we know is coming, I'm most excited for JSA. A new JLD series and Booster Gold would also be great, so long as Booster and Ted get together. I need to be able to get a fix on Ted from something other than the incredibly disappointing Blue Beetle Rebirth.

Maybe I'm reading too much into these kinds of things, but both of these books hitting in the next few months makes me think the return of this line-up can't be far off.

young_justice_by_micquestion-dao0fqj.jpg

YOUNG JUSTICE!!! But with this amazing line-up! :)

Martian Manhunter and the Marvel Family are both still MIA from the original Rebirth group poster.

The branding of the Marvel Family is difficult because of DC's abandonment of the "Captain Marvel" name (finally). "Mary Shazam"? "Shazam Junior"?

Hmm.

Out of what we know is coming, I'm most excited for JSA.

Absolutely. I was never happy about the removal of the JSA from the group's World War Two origins. WW2 was a very long time ago now. When I first starting reading comics in the 70s, it was 30 years before and my grandfathers and their friends used to talk about it. Now its 60 years before and the vast majority of the participants are dead. So much of the generational mystique of the "good war" is lost. But the JSA is in my view entirely founded in WW2, just as All-Star Squadron is.

One of the problems confronted by the major US publishers is the stretching of timelines. I see from a recent issue of Ruck's Wonder Woman that she has been rebooted, again, as appearing in Man's World six months ago. As we will see in the movie and WW's participation in World War One, the character is immortal and there's no reason why characters of that ilk (The Spectre, Dr Fate, Shazam, and even Superman) can't have been JSA members. The problem is obviously more pronounced with Batman.

I too am very excited about the return of the Justice Society, though there is mild trepidation there. I REALLY hope Bryan Hitch isn't writing it. His Justice League book both previous to and post-Rebirth was one of the worst books I read. It was horribly written and never got any better. So if he's writing it, I won't even look at a JSA book. While I think he's become a pretty soulless artist, I'd be OK with him drawing it. With the multiverse back though, I'd love it if they brought back the Earth-2 version of the JSA, Superman, Batman, Huntress, and Robin (in his *****in' adult costume) and all.

I'd love to see the other Justice League Dark characters as part of the Young Animal imprint or something similar, that would allow smart creators to do interesting things with them. I'd especially love a good Swamp Thing book. Even a Deadman book would be nice. That said, Young Animal has been kind of a bust in my opinion.

I like Hitch a lot as an artist, but yeah... it's amazing how the Rebirth movement really re-energized a lot of these titles and got them back on the right track and yet JL, from the very announcement, has been very "ehh really?" to me. I just don't think he's right for it, especially as writer. I'd rather they didn't go down a similar road with the JSA.

I too am very excited about the return of the Justice Society, though there is mild trepidation there. I REALLY hope Bryan Hitch isn't writing it. His Justice League book both previous to and post-Rebirth was one of the worst books I read. It was horribly written and never got any better. So if he's writing it, I won't even look at a JSA book. While I think he's become a pretty soulless artist, I'd be OK with him drawing it. With the multiverse back though, I'd love it if they brought back the Earth-2 version of the JSA, Superman, Batman, Huntress, and Robin (in his *****in' adult costume) and all.

Hitch's JLA was dreadful. Lots of posing, no substance.

I'd love to see the other Justice League Dark characters as part of the Young Animal imprint or something similar, that would allow smart creators to do interesting things with them. I'd especially love a good Swamp Thing book. Even a Deadman book would be nice. That said, Young Animal has been kind of a bust in my opinion.

Young Animal is a good separate topic for discussion - that is, the need for Young Animal when even Gerard Way says he was inspired by Vertigo. Why two imprints?

Young Animal seems to be taking DC concepts and twisting them in a Vertigo-esque way, while current Vertigo is entirely removed from the DC universe and does it's own thing. There are similarities, but I can see why they're separate.

^Yup.

Young Animal = good old Vertigo
Vertigo = creator-own stuff like Image

Young Animal seems to be taking DC concepts and twisting them in a Vertigo-esque way, while current Vertigo is entirely removed from the DC universe and does it's own thing. There are similarities, but I can see why they're separate.

Yeah, that's probably correct.

Here's a review of Mother Panic (I didn't read it but I assume this is correct), a Young Animal title:

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com/index.php/2016/11/11/mother-panic-1-rise-young-animal/

And Batman appears in it. "**** the Bat," says the protagonist. Which is probably something John Constantine would have said once in the pages of a Vertigo comic.

Yeah, that's probably correct.

Here's a review of Mother Panic (I didn't read it but I assume this is correct), a Young Animal title:

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com/index.php/2016/11/11/mother-panic-1-rise-young-animal/

And Batman appears in it. "**** the Bat," says the protagonist. Which is probably something John Constantine would have said once in the pages of a Vertigo comic.

Eh, Mother Panic is kind of the weakest link in the Young Animal books.

Doom Patrol is quirky and fun
Cave Carson is pure, unadulterated pulp adventure
Shade The Changing Girl was an interesting look at the world and the high school experience, though it became a little too heady for me.

Mother Panic is just a Batman book with bad language in it. And because of that, it's not particularly interesting, at least to me.

Cave Carson is pure, unadulterated pulp adventure

Yeah, I read issue one. I got the impression Gerard Day was given the keys to the sandpit, and decided to incorporate characters he liked as a kid - The Metal Men, Wild Dog - at the expense of a coherent plot. Didn't like it so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"