• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What got you into comics?

A Viewmaster slide from THE JOKER'S FIVE WAY REVENGE. My grandparents tracked down the issue for me, and then got me THE COMPLETE FRANK MILLER BATMAN.

Television. When I began watching the Spider-man animated series, alongside the X-Men every Saturday. :up:
Yeah...

First it was FF and Hulk when I was 3
X-Men, Spider-Man and Batman from ages 4-8

And the Batman Movies.

EDIT:
Oh and the live-action TMNT movies!

My older cousin got me into comics when i was a youngin.He use to have all these old 70's comics like Moderns Peacemaker

Watching Spiderman and X Men on fox kids every satuday morning!! I loved going to the comic shop right after an episode and get a comic the reminded me of it.

Back when I was a tyke, the live action Spider-Man tv show, the Spider-Man newspaper strips, and the life-size Spider-Man pin-up that used to hang in my kindergarden (or was it pre-school?) classroom. All that Spidey exposure made me decide to read his comics, and that started my comic-book fandom in general.

I started readingmy brothers X-Men and Spider-Man. I also was into Batman cause of the movies. There was a time I was into the shows of Batman/X-Men/ and spider-man more, then I read the issue of Spider-Man where Harry died, and I became addicted to the books themselves and have been collecting since. Dang Marvel for messing it up for bring Harry back, almost makes me not want to be a fan anymore.

For me it was my dad. He grew up with the Adam West Batman show, and when Bat-mania happened in 89 he started buying some of the comics. He used to read em to me as a kid, plus BTAS came along. I got out of comics for a while but saw a Brubaker Batman issue (in...2002 I think) in a grocery store, I forget what issue, but it was so good I bought a subscription. And thus, here I am.

As a kid I was lazy at reading (and still am) because it was boring as hell, school made it seem boring. In the library there was a corner with comics with pretty pictures, the librarian must have been a batman fan because most of them were batman and 2000 ad, comics such as Knightfall, Judgement on Gotham and so fourth, not a single spider man or xmen comic anywhere, odd. Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Returns was also a big influence.

I was ten. I liked Spider-Man so I started collecting the issue every month. I went from Spider-Man to X-Men, then started reading DC comics. First DC graphic novel was Secret Identity. Bloody awesome.

Spidey and His Amazing Friends, The Incredible Hulk, The Transformers, and GI Joe.

I used to read random Fantastic Fours and Spidey and his Superfriends whilst waiting at the dentist, but what REALLY got me into comics were the 90's Xmen and Spidey cartoons.

I'd have to say it was the Adam West Batman Tv show I watched in reruns when I was 4, way back in the 70's. Not long after that I was hooked on the marvel superpower hour cartoon as well. But Batman will always be my first love in comics and I still keep up on him to this very day some 33 years later.

I believe that BTAS got me into Batman. Then I got a t-shirt based on a cover of Batman & Spider-man. Then I wanted a comic with Spider-man. My dad read it for me, because I was under six years old and I couldn't read. When I learned to read in school, I read my stash of Spider-man comics. ( All four of them, during Mackies run.) They weren't boring, but they certainly weren't interesting. But then, my parents bought me a Spidey comic that had Revenge of the Green Goblin-mini in it. Comic had the most beatiful cover, cover by Kaare Andrews of Green Goblin defeating Spider-man. I wanted the next issue, and the next issue...

Of course, Spider-man game for PSX, Spider-man series, Batman movies and Donald Duck were always there.

It was a computer game: Freedom Force.

It's pretty obscure by now, but it was a Commando-style team control game based on Silver Age comics. I really got into the game and a huge modding community sprung up around it, so I really got introduced to the broader comics world via that game.

I was always into the cartoons and any movies about comic characters as a kid, but didn't really get into comics till later, my dad got me a few Superman books once, then in Jr. High I bought a couple off some kids I knew, plus my cousin and I collected the Marvel Universe cards. Then the summer before high school I was in a play and didn't have a big part so stayed below the stage most of the time and someone brought some comics, the McFarlane Spider-Man series, it was the story he teamed up with Wolverine to track down Wendigoo, I think it was called "Perceptions". Once I got into high school that fall, the school paper had an ad and coupon for the comic shop a few block from school, went there and bought a couple issues of Infinity Gaunlet and the first part of Revenge of the Sinister Six in Spider-man, been collecting ever since.

My mom was a newly single mother, so when she went to work, I had to go to a baby-sitter.
The upstairs neighbors at our apartment complex, watched me, and the dude was an artist, and had drawings hung up everywhere, the only one I remember was very iconic to me, a werewolf on a chopper, holding a cut-off head in the air.

So, he had stacks of comic books, and I'd look at them, wide-eyed....mostly, Red Sonja.

Then, my parents were Hippies and they'd go to this weird hippie dude's house, and he had these giant posters and stacks of some Kung Fu comics, and I'd look at those.

Then when I could read, I was given the old Marvel and DC comics books that came with the story on a little record and you'd read along. I had The Fantastic Four, and Batman vs Man-Bat, and a weird one about the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. :huh:

After that, I don't remember much, they had a box of toys and comic books at my grandparents whenever we'd go there...and aside from that, I think they'd get me comics as a reward or whenever I was sick, etc.

Then in the 80's, this dude from church needed a place so he moved into our basement. He was a chemist, a jazz saxophonist, and had always been into comics, and it was a sweet deal, because he just wanted to read them, he didn't collect them.
So he would buy all of the new titles, read them once, then give them to me! This was a magical deal.

He'd always preached at me about how Jack Kirby is God, and stupid kid that I was, I'd say, "No way, that guy sucks! There's no detail and it doesn't look real." :-)o), just like the stupid kids on the Hype today. It's the Circle of Life.

This was was an incredible time to be really getting in to comics, Kieth Giffen's Legion of Superheroes, Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans, Frank Miller was starting to get big.....then later, the dude got married and moved out, but I was still into comics, getting the Walt Simonson Thors and Beta Ray Bill, Ambush Bug, Secret Wars, John Byrne Fantastic Fours and Hulks....Black Spider-Man costume, all that...it was great. The X-Men was mind-blowing back then, that was when it was a "new" kind of "phenomenon". Nothing about Wolverine was "old hat" at that point.

Then, I noticed that the art got grosser and uglier. I watched in horror as some of the worst comic book artists I'd ever seen, like Rob Liefeld and Todd MacFarlane, instead of being relgated to crap books like "House of Mystery", or "What If" or something, were, inexplicably becoming Superstars. :huh:

And then, Image comics was formed, and comic books died and I stopped reading them.

Seeing the Spider-Man and Amazing Friends cartoon in the 80's.

Come back to us, Wilhelm
No. Now it's even worse. The drawings are good, but they're too slick, and everything's colored with computers so the realistic 3-D shading and light effects overshadow everything, and all of the writers do self-aware Kevin Smith kind of crap. The comics used to be adults, writing for kids. Now they're adults writing for adults. :down

I'll always love comics that look like this:

galactus-ff75-page12.jpg

...over ones that look like this:

fantastic-four-20071001074025610_64.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"