Daredevil What if Matt had been Karen's lawyer after the Bulletin attack? [Season 3 episode 7]

dmcreif

Civilian
Reaction score
Watching Nadeem interrogate Karen after the Bulletin attack, I keep thinking that that scene would've been much better if Matt was Karen's lawyer there, not Foggy. It would've given us an opportunity to see some of Matt lawyering, which the show really needed more of (I would have honestly traded quite a bit of Matt's angst and religious stuff from season 3 for some good lawyering and courtroom scenes). And perhaps more importantly, it would've allowed them to do something that I really wish had been done in season 3. Which is that Matt's prison visit and the one-take fight is never brought up again after it happens aside from a single remark Nadeem makes when questioning Foggy. Legally, what Matt did at the prison should have had many implications for everyone, Foggy and Karen especially.

By not having it brought up again, the prison fight basically exists in a vacuum. And there were times when the writing in season 2 did the same thing, where key details got left out in order to simplify conflicts and streamline the plot. (Example: the scene where Karen discovers Elektra and Stick at Matt’s apartment, for instance: she goes to Foggy having only noticed Elektra in Matt's bed, because it’s easier for the writers to have her be angry at Matt for seemingly cheating on her, rather than contend with Karen, a keen investigator, interrogating Matt and Stick and discovering Matt’s secret five episodes earlier).

The prison riot in season 3 is such a brilliant scene, and one that could have had some pretty significant implications for the way the story unfolds. So, if Matt had been Karen's lawyer after the Bulletin attack, we'd have gotten a chance to maybe see Nadeem question Matt about what happened at the prison (since as far as Nadeem knows, Matt stole Foggy's ID, went to the prison and made contact with an Albanian gang). I would've loved to see Matt's responses there. Even better would be if Matt's responses are enough to prompt Nadeem to go investigate the prison for himself and ask the right questions, or rather, much better questions.. And while that's going on, it would've allowed us to see Foggy face the consequences of Matt's actions, by having him end up under investigation by the Bar Association (meaning that he can't campaign as District Attorney).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"