Comics What If? Spider-Man: Back in Black

If they do a "what if One More Day" you know it's going to defend the decision Peter made....lol.

Not only do I disagree with the whole mephisto-boot of the series. But I find it difficult when reading the new stuff to see that things are much "happier". There's no real drawback serious from the deal he made. Other than losing the relationship with his wife.

Oh yea I think Loki's dead isn't he?

I'm not sure, but he should've been back by now... cause if lesser beings like Homo Superior come back to life even with the Dead is Dead Joe Q Law... An Asgardian should have it easy to come back...

It will just end badly for Peter. Nearly all What ifs? I like the Gwen survival story ot The Other.

I'm not sure, but he should've been back by now... cause if lesser beings like Homo Superior come back to life even with the Dead is Dead Joe Q Law... An Asgardian should have it easy to come back...

I actually like that law he placed in.

However he's been going easy on alot of things lately.

An issue in Brand New Day had smoking on it. (of course an editor's note was applied.)

But It just reminded me I haven't seen that in a while.

"remember kids...it's ok to make deals with the devil and have an affair with a girl your son's age. but say no to smoking!":whatever:

ah its good to have fun with Joe. he's a great guy regardless of all the bad ideas that come to his head for Spidey.

Not to step on your toes (again...god your going to hate me. lol)
But Marvel doesn't exactly tell the truth these days when it comes to promoting their stories....

Remember how heartwarming a story One More Day was?
The funny thing is thats not my sarcasim...it's marvel's. :lmao:

Just imagine it this way.
Your married.
Something happens and takes that all away. You never get married yet your still with your wife. Would you and your wife have made ALL of the same choices you did as a married couple? Probably not. The same commitment just isn't there. It's so much easier to walk away when things get rough....there is no divorce. you don't have to "split the items".

Now if you still don't think that can't possibly apply to you. Think of Peter's situation. Especially when you now consider that when Mj got pregnant she was his "baby mama". Some chick he knocked up.

Your main page has the first Spidey comic I ever read. It's one of my favs.
I love you so much....well your website anyways, but you make the most disingenuous comments sometimes dude. :csad:

Aloha,
Well thank you ( I think:yay:). Actually, I'm enjoying the whole BND concept and have decided to stay out of most of these conversations. I respect both sides of the argument when it is done intelligently and by and large you are within that group. At this point in Amazing, you either are looking forward to the various reveals you mentioned ( in time). Or you've decided that you're just being jerked around and have no patience with Marvel. The MJ pregnancy has always been handled poorly to say the least. Which comments of mine did you think were disingenuous:huh:?
Spidey rules

Aloha,
Well thank you ( I think:yay:). Actually, I'm enjoying the whole BND concept and have decided to stay out of most of these conversations. I respect both sides of the argument when it is done intelligently and by and large you are within that group. At this point in Amazing, you either are looking forward to the various reveals you mentioned ( in time). Or you've decided that you're just being jerked around and have no patience with Marvel. The MJ pregnancy has always been handled poorly to say the least. Which comments of mine did you think were disingenuous:huh:?
Spidey rules

No problem. You have a great site. Keep it up. :yay:

I found the comment about some of the readers being "impatient" a bit disingenuous. I definitely know you don't say things to be rude, but I felt as if you were just generalizing some fans who have not fell in love with the new status quo. Like we all think alike and mindlessly hate on the book.

I still read...and it's difficult to really immerse myself in the book when I really don't know anything about Peter or this new world.

For me it's how they skipped 100 days of continuity and they are continuing to add subplots and characters to the story like they've been around for a while. :csad:

But too bad that the dead is dead Law has been mostly ignored cause of the "Continuity shouldn't get in the way of telling a good story" so a dead Loki shouldn't have gotten in the way of a better OMD... one that could've been Demon-free... and maybe BND would've less haters... but what do I know?

But too bad that the dead is dead Law has been mostly ignored cause of the "Continuity shouldn't get in the way of telling a good story" so a dead Loki shouldn't have gotten in the way of a better OMD... one that could've been Demon-free... and maybe BND would've less haters... but what do I know?

I think after 20 years if the marriage was let go with more respect.
Than alot more fans would have tried Brand New Day instead of automatically dropping the title.

Aloha,
Good questions. I don't think it's been established exactly what Mephisto did. Aunt May could have gotten shot but not mortally. Peter then catches the Sniper and finds out it was the Kingpin and then beats up Kingpin for trying to hurt him or his family.There are plenty of Untold Tales within BND/OMD.My big question, when and how did Peter lose the organic webbing?
Spidey rules

Aunt May would have a bullet scar then, right?

In addition, no one remembers that Pete is Spidey, does that mean no one remembers ANY other event since he unmasked? No, that is not how Joe Q et al explained it. They said that EVERYTHING happened the same, just that Pete and MJ weren't married and that everyone REMEMBERS Spidey unmasking, just not WHO was under the mask. MJ and May were the ones who helped talk Pete into unmasking. They sat together on the sofa (in Avengers Tower?) watching Pete unmask... according to Marvel, this event STILL happened, just no one remembers who was behind the mask. So do Aunt May and MJ no longer remember urging Pete to unmask?

Also, this brings up the further question of "Was MJ present at Avengers HQ with May when Pete unmasked?" Well, now (to my understanding) we know there was some kind of fallout between Pete and MJ right after the "almost" wedding... but they still lived together for years? When did they stop living together? Between the 100 days of OMD and BND? Or sooner?

I contend that BiB could not have happened. Peter would not have beaten Kingpin close to death had May not been shot. A sniper would not have shot May if Peter didn't unmask. Peter would not have unmasked if not for MJ and May's urging. May wouldn't have urged him had she not discovered his identity months prior.

If BiB STILL happened (and according to Marvel, EVERYTHING has happened the same), then May would have a scar. Kingpin got beaten to a pulp and DOZENS of witnesses saw this happen. Marvel has not said anything about its many characters having holes in their memories the size of Texas.

Cause in order for everything to have happened the same (or even similarly), characters across the Marvel Universe... not just Spidey's cast... would have more than the unmasking erased. Many other events are erased from their memories... AND, as Donald pointed out, that still does NOT explain whatsoever how Peter lost his organics and went back to web-shooters...

Even if you bought into the incredibly far-fetched and nonsensical notion that EVERYTHING still happened the same, this would STILL create so many continuity problems, swiss-cheesed memories, and mis-characterizations, along with the sudden disappearance of a major Spider-power, and the re-appearance of a major Spidey character. All from "I don't" instead of "I do"...?

Nope. :dry:

I think after 20 years if the marriage was let go with more respect.
Than alot more fans would have tried Brand New Day instead of automatically dropping the title.

Yep. Had they divorced I would ABSOLUTELY 100% still be buying Spider-Man.

Had the sniper hit MJ and she died I would ABSOLUTELY 100% still be buying Spider-Man.

Had Spidey traded his marriage for MJ to live from a sniper shot, I would ABSOLUTELY 100% still be buying Spider-Man.

Anything that showed even an ounce of respect for these characters and over 20 years of storytelling history... anything that showed Peter Parker as a hero instead of a selfish prick... anything that showed MJ and Peter as adults making an adult decision...

anything but this tripe. :o

Aunt May would have a bullet scar then, right?

In addition, no one remembers that Pete is Spidey, does that mean no one remembers ANY other event since he unmasked? No, that is not how Joe Q et al explained it. They said that EVERYTHING happened the same, just that Pete and MJ weren't married and that everyone REMEMBERS Spidey unmasking, just not WHO was under the mask. MJ and May were the ones who helped talk Pete into unmasking. They sat together on the sofa (in Avengers Tower?) watching Pete unmask... according to Marvel, this event STILL happened, just no one remembers who was behind the mask. So do Aunt May and MJ no longer remember urging Pete to unmask?

Also, this brings up the further question of "Was MJ present at Avengers HQ with May when Pete unmasked?" Well, now (to my understanding) we know there was some kind of fallout between Pete and MJ right after the "almost" wedding... but they still lived together for years? When did they stop living together? Between the 100 days of OMD and BND? Or sooner?

I contend that BiB could not have happened. Peter would not have beaten Kingpin close to death had May not been shot. A sniper would not have shot May if Peter didn't unmask. Peter would not have unmasked if not for MJ and May's urging. May wouldn't have urged him had she not discovered his identity months prior.

If BiB STILL happened (and according to Marvel, EVERYTHING has happened the same), then May would have a scar. Kingpin got beaten to a pulp and DOZENS of witnesses saw this happen. Marvel has not said anything about its many characters having holes in their memories the size of Texas.

Cause in order for everything to have happened the same (or even similarly), characters across the Marvel Universe... not just Spidey's cast... would have more than the unmasking erased. Many other events are erased from their memories... AND, as Donald pointed out, that still does NOT explain whatsoever how Peter lost his organics and went back to web-shooters...

Even if you bought into the incredibly far-fetched and nonsensical notion that EVERYTHING still happened the same, this would STILL create so many continuity problems, swiss-cheesed memories, and mis-characterizations, along with the sudden disappearance of a major Spider-power, and the re-appearance of a major Spidey character. All from "I don't" instead of "I do"...?

Nope. :dry:

I hope that you've paid farmie for the use of his swiss-cheesed memories phrase... but now that i'm thinking about it farmie owes me royalties for using the Pixellated face Peter... as a pic and in written form...

But I agree, this is one big mess and there is NO WAY that "everything just happened the same..."

And cause I'm lazy to quote your othe rpost regarding the more useful alternatives to end the Peter-MJ Marriage (Divorce, dead MJ or Peter trading marriage for MJ's life) and I agree with you...

I hope that you've paid farmie for the use of his swiss-cheesed memories phrase... but now that i'm thinking about it farmie owes me royalties for using the Pixellated face Peter... as a pic and in written form...

But I agree, this is one big mess and there is NO WAY that "everything just happened the same..."

And cause I'm lazy to quote your othe rpost regarding the more useful alternatives to end the Peter-MJ Marriage (Divorce, dead MJ or Peter trading marriage for MJ's life) and I agree with you...

We both stole "swiss-cheesed memory" from Quantum Leap. :o

50.jpg

Yep. Had they divorced I would ABSOLUTELY 100% still be buying Spider-Man.

Had the sniper hit MJ and she died I would ABSOLUTELY 100% still be buying Spider-Man.

Had Spidey traded his marriage for MJ to live from a sniper shot, I would ABSOLUTELY 100% still be buying Spider-Man.

Anything that showed even an ounce of respect for these characters and over 20 years of storytelling history... anything that showed Peter Parker as a hero instead of a selfish prick... anything that showed MJ and Peter as adults making an adult decision...

anything but this tripe. :o

Hopefully they will conclude the One more day thing, right now it seems like they are slowly retconing the retcon because of fan response. (with mephisto only having been the reason the marriage is gone). At least have Peter "remember what really happened" and have him confront Mephisto.

It wouldn't bother me if he decided to "stay single"
But he needs to set things straight....

Last edited:
Sounds pointless like the HOM mini series.

Although, if the artis decent, I'll pick it up for the sake of the black costume regardless, haha.

Hopefully they will conclude the One more day thing, right now it seems like they are slowly retconing the retcon because of fan response. (with mephisto only having been the reason the marriage is gone). At least have Peter "remember what really happened" and have him confront Mephisto.

That would probably get me to buy Spidey again, too.

Yeah I feel like OMD was the beginning of the story of Peter finding his way back to MJ and setting reality back to the way it's supposed to be. The way it was solved feels like he's been isolated in a fantasy world or something. To stand up to Mephisto for all of that, would be a huge character growth for him.

Sounds pointless like the HOM mini series.

Although, if the artis decent, I'll pick it up for the sake of the black costume regardless, haha.

Man, the Spidey: House of M mini is money I can never have back...and that makes me sad. What a horrible mini-series!!

As for this what if, I know it'll end with OMD being the "right decision"...so I'll skip it. Honestly, I wish they'd gotten Ron Garney back in to do the art...that would have gotten me to buy it. This guy draws a nice Spidey, but a horrible Peter Parker!

They should've gone with Loki* as the force that fixed things... Cause Loki owed Peter one... And the hiccups in continuity plus the elimination of the marriage would've been in character for Loki, cause he's the God of Mischief... instead of this messy devil deal...

*(Loki in disguise, so it wouldn't interfere with the events on Thor, but it would've been revealed later that it WAS Loki...)

Rearding What If? BiB... Chances are that It'll suck so bad that it'll make The Other and What If? The Other be Pure Gold...

Now a What If? One More Day in which Peter Rejects the Deal... That would be Golden...
Hear that, Marvel? Get on it!

Bumping this because I just got done reading this issue and boy was it fun. I loved Peter letting loose on that smug Tony Stark. Just a shame they didn't show him with a black and blue face.

Kingpin could also have done with a harsher beating but I guess one punch from an unleashed Spidey is all it really takes to take down a non-meta.

Great read all in all. Really enjoyed it!

So i'm curious how was the What If? ending different from OMD?

So i'm curious how was the What If? ending different from OMD?

Spider-Man kills Kingpin by putting his fist through his chest for murdering MJ. Aunt May, who Kingpin was holding hostage in an attempt to keep him from fighting back while he beat him to death, witnesses this and pretty much disowns him. Stark shows up right after to arrest Peter who voluntarily turns himself in to the police instead to take responsibility for his actions.
Aside from a bit of mischaracterization of Aunt May, in my opinion at least, I loved it.

Wow, that's....interesting to say the least.

Yeah, there's a lot more to it but that's a basic summary of the last 3 or 4 pages.

you know...even though it pegged one more day as the "right decision."

I really liked this story for a what if. the Aunt May thing didnt bother me because killing is never an option.

True, but given the circumstances I'm more inclined to believe that Aunt May would be a little more forgiving of his actions. Only a minor gripe for me either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"