• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

What if there was a Batman film in the 70's?

returntovoid

Sidekick
Reaction score
How does everyone think it would turn out?

I think it would have a similar tone to the 70's Dennis O'Neil written Batman stories and Batman would be played by Clint Eastwood.

At that point in time, it would've been very hard to get a Batman movie made in a more "serious" tone (as oppose to the campiness of the Adam West show). That was one of the biggest problems that Michael Uslan faced while trying to convince the major studios to get behind a Batman motion picture (that's probably why it took 10 years to get the thing made). I would like to imagine a 1970s Batman movie being done in a similar manner to Richard Donner's 1978 Superman movie. Or more to the point, something akin to the James Bond franchise at that point with Roger Moore. The only other "big time" live-action comic book franchises that I can immediately think of during that period were the Wonder Woman TV series with Lynda Carter, the Spider-Man TV series with Nicholas Hammond, the Incredible Hulk TV series with Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno.

Well, the campy Adams West show ended in the late 60's and Batman was brought back to his dark roots, in the 70's.

It would have been cool if it was directed by either Don Siegel (e.g. Dirty Harry) or Martin Scorsese.

Heck, they could have got someone known for crime films or film-noir to direct it.

Hmm... from the technical side Burton's Batman looks indeed like it was made in 1979.

A Siegel or Scorsese-directed Batman movie with Clint Eastwood as Bats would have been great

I agree with TMC1982. Had this movie been made in the `70s it would have been like a James Bond movie. They would have used the gadget aspect of the character for some ridiculously over the top action scenes. I think The Spy Who Loved Me from 1977 would have been a good indication of how it would have looked.

[YT]9Eexojewr74[/YT]

Don't know about acting skills but he has a bit of resemblance to The Joker, in that pic.

He's a suprisingly talented actor.

Also:

Gordon-Charles Bronson

Alfred-Laurence Olivier

Selina Kyle-Mia Farrow

Edward Nigma-Dustin Hoffman

And for Bruce Wayne? Hmmmmm... Harrison Ford.

Also:

Gordon-Charles Bronson

Alfred-Laurence Olivier

Selina Kyle-Mia Farrow

For some reason, I see Dustin Hoffman being more appropriate for the Penguin.

I didn't know that Bowie was also an actor.

Also:

Gordon-Charles Bronson

Alfred-Laurence Olivier

Selina Kyle-Mia Farrow

I'll have look into this part of the cast since I don't many of these actors.

I don't see Hoffman as The Riddler. Like TMC1982 said, he's better suited for The Penguin.

I think Clint Eastwood would be a better choice to play Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Last edited:
For some reason, I see Dustin Hoffman being more appropriate for the Penguin.

It wouldnt be bad but i think The Penguin should be older and fatter... Already established as a crime boss.
Marlon Brando would've been good but Supes got him first. :hehe:

Clint would've been pushing 50 in the mid-70's... Thats too old for Batman. I also doubt he could pull off the Bruce Wayne persona... Everyone'd be like 'Hey! That guys totally Batman!'

Clint was in his 40's throughout the 70's, not 50.

I just got the date of birth from Wikipedia and calculated.

Yeah, I said PUSHING 50. Lets say this hypothetical movie got released in 78, the year Superman came out, Clint would've been 48.. Not exactly ideal for the first installment of a potential money-spinning franchise, is it?

Yeah, I said PUSHING 50. Lets say this hypothetical movie got released in 78, the year Superman came out, Clint would've been 48.. Not exactly ideal for the first installment of a potential money-spinning franchise, is it?

You have a valid point.

Yup, but in 1978 all movies were still planned as stand-alone. They didn't think about franchises at all.

What about Tom Selleck as Batman and Klaus Kinski as Joker?

Yup, but in 1978 all movies were still planned as stand-alone. They didn't think about franchises at all.

What about Tom Selleck as Batman and Klaus Kinski as Joker?

Perhaps not in the considered, mechanical way studios do today but to say film makers in the 70's didn't think about franchises at all is a little naive... Can you think of any MAJOR movie of the 70's that didn't get at least one sequel? Probably not.
And even if it was a standalone movie... 48 is still too old for Batman.

Kinski for The Joker is a great idea but his accent might've been an issue. Is the world ready for a German Mr.J?

It wouldnt be bad but i think The Penguin should be older and fatter... Already established as a crime boss.
Marlon Brando would've been good but Supes got him first. :hehe:

I think I heard that before Danny DeVito was officially cast for Batman Returns, Marlon Brando was under consideration for the role of the Penguin. But many people (including Bob Kane) thought that it would've been a bad idea. I guess because by that time, Marlon Brando had grown a huge reputation for being a major kookball. Not to mention that the producers would've likely had been worried that Marlon was going to ask for a ton of money (like he did before signing up to play Jor-El in Superman: The Movie).

Perhaps not in the considered, mechanical way studios do today but to say film makers in the 70's didn't think about franchises at all is a little naive... Can you think of any MAJOR movie of the 70's that didn't get at least one sequel? Probably not.
And even if it was a standalone movie... 48 is still too old for Batman.

Kinski for The Joker is a great idea but his accent might've been an issue. Is the world ready for a German Mr.J?

I would argue that Steven Spielberg and George Lucas with Jaws and Star Wars respectively, really laid the groundwork for the modern day, major, big budget, summer tentpole franchises. Richard Donner's Superman (which can be considered the first big time Hollywood comic book superhero movie) from 1978 can also fall under this umbrella.

^Also, Dirty Harry became a film franchise with it's sequels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"