What is the future of Ben Affleck as Batman in the DCEU?

The difference with Keaton and Kilmer was it was obvious those two films were not meant to be in canon with each other. It's a wholly different animal to a cinematic universe in which every film and character are supposed to co-exist. So recasting in this sense is a big deal, especially with such an important and upfront character as Batman. It would be the equivalent of RDJ quitting the MCU after a few Iron Man movies and the execs having to hire a new actor to play the role.
Nah man. Forever references Catwoman, and it has the same actors playing Alfred and Gordon.

So it's basically akin to the Norton/Ruffalo situation.

I think fans seriously underestimate the general audience's willingness to let things go so long as they're entertained. I honest to God doubt many people outside of online fan circles would care. If a new actor comes in and just crushes it as Batman, this whole debacle becomes a non-story.

It's not like Affleck was universally loved. It'll be easier for people to swallow than going from Bale to Affleck.

For the record, i thought Affleck was awesome.

Nah man. Forever references Catwoman, and it has the same actors playing Alfred and Gordon.

batman forever was like bond films precraig technically sequel but recast lead and changes come with recast.like how it went from conney to morre and then to dalton and then to brosnan.

the batman will likely introduce new actor as batman.they should just do the bond route

So it's basically akin to the Norton/Ruffalo situation.

I think fans seriously underestimate the general audience's willingness to let things go so long as they're entertained. I honest to God doubt many people outside of online fan circles would care. If a new actor comes in and just crushes it as Batman, this whole debacle becomes a non-story.

Exactly. It's not like we're losing an actor who gave a beloved version of the character.

Yes to recasting Affleck if necessary (the poor guy clearly needs a break anyway). No to Dick taking up the mantle; if Bruce Wayne retires than so should Batman.

Wait and see what actually happens. If he leaves so be it, there were Batman before him and there will be Batman after him.

I think Affleck was great as Bruce/Batman, but I don't have a problem with recasting him.

I've got to be honest, I definitely don't look at Ben and see batman and I think Ben himself feels silly dressing up as the bat. You can tell he's just not feeling it.

I wish it didn't have to be this way but I would get ben to gracefully step aside and cast lewis Tan as Dick Grayson/the new batman

How bout the Justice League go in to a portal in which they see alternate universes? Like maybe have two different Batmen switch universes? That would be epic. Too late now, I think.

It frankly doesn't bother me. I'm not invested in this Batman to care whether Affleck leaves or not.

Recast for sure. I might have some interest in an elseworlds-esque tail like Batman Beyond, but for the most part legacy characters are terrible and audiences largely reject them. Assuming Affleck is done, which isn't certain but things certainly seem to be trending in that direction, bring back Bruce Wayne as played by a new actor. The character is much bigger than the actor.

I really hope he's out, and I can't say I feel much sympathy for him either (not talking about his personal issues obviously).

Since the day he was cast I feel like Affleck has been on the defensive, always bringing up fan backlash, his DD stint, how hard it is to work out, etc. Then we got the whole sad Affleck meme and BVS. Even with his solo Batman movie that was supposed to be his pet project, that WB gave him full control over, for over a year he just continually kept saying how hard it is, how he wants to get it right, how nothing is set in stone, etc etc. Basically being totally non-commital.

Honestly I just don't get the sense that he really wants this role, or if he does, he's not willing to put up with the rigors of it.

It feels like there's been a pity party for him since the day he was cast, but it needs to end. Time to get a fresh face beneath the cowl, and hopefully this time the actor is actually into it.

I get the impression WB needed an actor for Batman fast after they wanted to make the Batman vs Superman movie next right away. They probably went to Affleck since they had a relationship with him

Affleck was never the problem, it was always the material he had to act. He certainly looked like he was ripped out of BTAS and I liked the idea of an older Batman late into his crime fighting career. The character needs different writers.
I wish it didn't have to be this way but I would get ben to gracefully step aside and cast lewis Tan as Dick Grayson/the new batman
Yes to this. I'm more excited about Nightwing and Batgirl in the DCEU than anything else. Nightwing is pure untapped potential.

I voted other. Someone else is cast as Batman and they go on from there. I don't think they will be pre BvS, I think they will be post BvS.

But I doubt Joker will be recast. I think WB is perfectly happy with Leto and he has been supportive of WB.

I think we all have that one actor, where, for whatever reason, you're always very aware you're watching the actor, and it doesn't matter what role they play.

Affleck, unfortunately is that actor for me. I'm always very aware that I'm watching Ben Affleck 'as Batman'. As such, I don't care if he leaves, on a personal level, because I don't think he could have ever put in a performance that convinced could make me see past how aware I am that I'm watching Ben Affleck.

Having said that, And I say this as someone who acknowledges that I can't see past the actor himself, I don't think he's done a particular good job in the role. Not that the material helped him in the slightest.

Recast Batman, us nerds on the internet care, but regular people? Nah, they'll forget about it quickly.

I didn't love Batman V Superman but Affleck is so well cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman. It will be so disappointed if the recast the role.

I'd like to keep the Bruce Wayne character rather than him passing on the mantle.

So recast and replace Affleck with.... Charlie Cox. :D

LOL. Yeah not only is Charlie Cox a better Daredevil than Blandfleck, he's a better Batman too. :D

Exactly. It's not like we're losing an actor who gave a beloved version of the character.

Yeah. Truthfully, its mostly fanboys who really like Affleck's Batman, and that seems mostly down to his look and physical prowess as opposed to his performance ,and his version of the character.

I think the fact that there doesn't seem to be alot of nerd rage over him leaving is a sign that his leaving is something the franchise can sustain.

There were alot more fan rumblings when Andrew Garfield and Pierce Brosnan were let go then what i've seen in the reaction to Affleck leaving.

Anyone's leaving is something the franchise can sustain. The character is bigger than any actor.

I'm conflicted about this. He did the absolute best he could under the circumstances and I don't want him to leave. But keep in mind, he's been through a lot lately:

*his messy divorce
*his brother's allegations of sexual assault
*his return to the superhero genre was in a highly divisive film
*his last directorial film, which he's called his best work, was a flop
*his shame of having a slave owner ancestor being brought up
*his friend/director in depression over his daughter's death
*his alcoholism resurfaced.

If this is true, I'd rather have him get his life on track than having to star/promote these blockbusters that obviously take a lot of toll.

Like a lot of people, I thought Affleck was really great as Batman and even though BvS was a piece of ****, I was looking forward to more of him.

Although, I've been wanting to see the Bat family on screen forever so maybe a perfect compromise would be to have Batman movies focus on Nightwing, Batgirl, Robin etc. and hopefully Affleck could stay on as a sort of minor character who is watching over them from the shadows, or mentoring them not unlike Bruce Wayne did in Batman Beyond.

Sounds like this is sort of the route they are headed in with Chris McKay's Nightwing movie, Whedon's Batgirl, as well as Gotham City Sirens. Not a bad idea at all, you can have Batman appear in all of those in a similar way he did in Suicide Squad and not even need Affleck (just don't show Bruce Wayne out of costume)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"