The Dark Knight What makes TDK so special?

Gosh, I really, really wanted to like Cavill, I thought he had moments of promise in MoS, but I'll be damned if you don't have a huge point there. I'll still wonder what another director could've brought out of him in a solo movie though. The guy wasn't given much to work with in his sequels, to be fair.

He's been maybe the biggest casualty of the Snyderverse. Because I think with the right direction and material he could've been a truly great Superman, maybe definitive for me.

Cavill had a lot of potential, and unfortunately it was **** on with poor storytelling choices.

At least we have Superman & Lois.

This masterpiece is trending on twitter right now.

giphy.gif

So how often do you all rewatch TDK anyway? Like a year, I mean?

So how often do you all rewatch TDK anyway? Like a year, I mean?
Pretty much. Once a year or so. I took a break and didn't watch it for 2-3 years before UHD arrived, which is the definitive way to watch it these days, outside screenings.

I rewatched it a week ago right after SCJL for contrast. And it's still as great as it always was. Number 1 CBM. It also really highlighted mediocrity of Snyder's output.
He's been maybe the biggest casualty of the Snyderverse. Because I think with the right direction and material he could've been a truly great Superman, maybe definitive for me.
After seeing him in a bunch of non-Superman projects, no, I very much doubt it. They guy can't act.

Last edited:
Pretty much. Once a year or so. I took a break and didn't watch it for 2-3 years before UHD arrived, which is the definitive way to watch it these days, outside screenings.
I usually watch it 2-3 times a year. More often the last few years. It's really hard to tire of the film, and yes that UHD is damn glorious. I actually did something similar when i finished ZSJL, but I watched Batman Begins instead since I recently rewatched TDK.

I remember seeing Dark Knight on legit IMAX and being blown away by the clarity of the IMAX footage. I thought that's the way movies should look.

I remember seeing Dark Knight on legit IMAX and being blown away by the clarity of the IMAX footage. I thought that's the way movies should look.

Me too. My stomach turned when the camera followed the goons out of the window before the heist.

The movie was a perfect storm, very much like B89. A lot of it was the hype around the Joker, and knowing the series was well and truly back after the success of Begins. The fanbase felt united and we just knew something special was cooking.

Voted the 26th best written film of the 21st century by the Writers Guild of America. By far the highest ranked blockbuster on the list.

The gift that keeps on giving. I will never get tired of the continuous love and respect it gets. So, so thoroughly deserved.

Voted the 26th best written film of the 21st century by the Writers Guild of America. By far the highest ranked blockbuster on the list.

The gift that keeps on giving. I will never get tired of the continuous love and respect it gets. So, so thoroughly deserved.
It's a masterpiece in every sense, so it's completely well deserved. The undisputed king of the genre.

Which film was the first?

What makes TDK so special? I think it's a combination of things: a great cast, great writers, a great vision, but I think that the main factor was Nolan, because he is the one who put all of these pieces together to create an extremely high quality and refreshing franchise! This will probably remain my favorite Batman franchise for years to come, I don't see anyone topping it.

Whereas the Batman pretty much shows us everything...which is why it's 3 hours long.

In TDK, watch the Joker killing Gambol scene.
At the end the Joker walks away leaving Gambol's surviving thugs to undertake "tryouts" . As an audience we get left to let our imaginations work out what happened next.

Kind of like Dagget's death in TDKR Nolan knows that the audience will imagine a better conclusion to that scene than what he could show us onscreen.

Its little touches like that in the right places that elevate TDK.

In the Dark Knight, when Batman, Dent and Gordon meet on the rooftop Gordon says

"All that was left in the vault were marked bills. They knew we were coming."

Because its almost a throwaway line I never really
paid much attention to it, other than it set up there being a mole in the police/DA's office.

Once you hear that line it puts the earlier shot of Gordon raiding the bank and kicking a pile of bills in frustration into a slightly different context.

I always assumed that the piles were just small leftovers from the main bulk of the cash.

But no, those piles were the marked bills which had been specifically removed from the rest and left behind to taunt Gordon. It shows the depth of the treachery and corruption- because not only did the mob get an early warning but they had the time and the information to locate and remove any possibility of the cash being tracked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"