What Non Composer Musicians Would You Like to Score a Movie

Jack White
The Mars Volta/Omar Rodriguez Lopez
The Flaming Lips (not including Christmas on Mars)
Jeff Beck
Arcade Fire
Radiohead

Yes. Radiohead. But I'm rather unsure if that would ever happen really. Either way, I'm already looking forward to more of Jonny Greenwood's scores. Thom Yorke should so something too.

Pendulum
Metallica(something with the style of Nothing Else Matters would be amazing for a score.)

Aphex Twin

The Glitch Mob

Squarepusher

The Prodigy

The Chemical Brothers

Pendulum

Fat Boy Slim

-Keith Richards
-Band of Horses
-Nick Zinner
-Rammstein
-Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

I'd like to see how Dr. Dre or the Neptunes would do with scoring a movie, without making it a hip hop score.

without trying to trivialize or stereotype the musical prowess of the hip hop world, I don't really consider those who use drum machines, samples (often illegally) of other songs, session musicians and ghost writers to be of the same caliber of musicians that are able to actually COMPOSE a film's score. Unless of course, mmmst mmmst and samples are adequate for a score.

*I am aware that there are rappers and hip hop artists/producers who ARE actually musically inclined, and therefore have the ability to actually compose songs, and I do not include them in my line of thinking above.*

Well, for one, Dr. Dre actually has done music for film before; he's credited with some of the music in Bad Boys II that could easily be classified as a score, and not just doing songs for a soundtrack.

And the Neptunes, both Pharell and Chad, are experienced musicians going back to their adolescence.

When people talk about Hip-hop produces scoring films, and all the "I don't consider those folks real musicians" and other comments like that come out, I always look back on RZA's soundtrack for Ghost Dog. It captured the emotion of the story brilliantly, and there was an understanding of what context this story is suppose to be viewed in. He didn't need some bombastic orchestra, or an abundance of "real instruments" backing him to create an aural narrative for the film.

If there's anyone I'd love to see compose a film, and firmly believe he's capable of doing it would be RJD2.

Looking at this thread and how open people are about members of a band or just a band period scoring motion pictures. Instead of real film composers that know how to take control of an orchestra and actually write great film music that enhances the picture it's written for. Proves that the beginning of the end of film music is near, imho.

These guys should just stick to albums and music videos and just stay away from motion pictures. No offense.

Or, you just are an idiot who's only open to your opinion.

Film scoring is dead, why again? If I recall correctly, a composer you seem to love started off in a band.

Last edited:
Looking at this thread and how open people are about members of a band or just a band period scoring motion pictures. Instead of real film composers that know how to take control of an orchestra and actually write great film music that enhances the picture it's written for. Proves that the beginning of the end of film music is near, imho.

These guys should just stick to albums and music videos and just stay away from motion pictures. No offense.
Um... What?

"What musician would you like to see try their hand at acting?"

ACTING IS DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Not really any. :o

I just want to see Bear McCreary get more work. :csad:

for one thing, over thepast couple of years bands or members of bands have branched out into film scores, often with encouraging results, I mean hell, the award for Best Score went to friggen Trent Reznor this year. Others have also found success. Many of these people team up with more experienced composers that do know how to work an orchestra, while still brining in their own influence and style.

Also, you assume all film music has to be done with orchestras which is extremely narrow. Bands like the prodigy wouldn't need an orchestra, and yet for certain types of films their music could be very effective, exciting and fitting. also since when can experienced musicians not figure out a way to make music emotionally effective? whats up with that? its not like someone suggested Kesha or something.

Also wasn't the Halloween score made by John Carpenter himself? neither an epic film composer or a member of a top selling band, and yet he made a very memorable and instantly recognizable peice of music that works very effectively in the context of his own film.

In short, unclog your ears, open your mind, and get over yourself.

^ That's a great post. So true, Carpenter's stuff is legendary. There's a special place in heaven for 80's synth, haha.

for one thing, over thepast couple of years bands or members of bands have branched out into film scores, often with encouraging results, I mean hell, the award for Best Score went to friggen Trent Reznor this year. Others have also found success. Many of these people team up with more experienced composers that do know how to work an orchestra, while still brining in their own influence and style.

Also, you assume all film music has to be done with orchestras which is extremely narrow. Bands like the prodigy wouldn't need an orchestra, and yet for certain types of films their music could be very effective, exciting and fitting. also since when can experienced musicians not figure out a way to make music emotionally effective? whats up with that? its not like someone suggested Kesha or something.

Also wasn't the Halloween score made by John Carpenter himself? neither an epic film composer or a member of a top selling band, and yet he made a very memorable and instantly recognizable peice of music that works very effectively in the context of his own film.

:bow::applaud:applaud

I also find it humourous that he would say that. I recall a certain composer, I think his name is..um..danny elfman(?) started in a band. Oingo Boingo. That must not count:awesome:

Jonny Greenwood should work in film more. There Will Be Blood was fantastic.

I saw someone mention Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Cave does films fairly aweosme, though he does it sans Seeds.

You do know that Danny Elfman, one of your favorite composers, intially started in a popular, new wave band called Oingo Boingo back in the 70's? And he's composed many successful scores for several popular movies?

I guess he should've stuck to albums and music videos, then, huh?

You should probably do more research before you post about something you don't know about. No offense. :cwink:

Bono and The Edge. :up:

Or, you just are an idiot who's only open to your opinion.

Film scoring is dead, why again? If I recall correctly, a composer you seem to love started off in a band.

:bow::applaud:applaud

I also find it humourous that he would say that. I recall a certain composer, I think his name is..um..danny elfman(?) started in a band. Oingo Boingo. That must not count:awesome:

Yeah no kidding Elfman started in a band where do you think I got my user name from.

[YT]BC_Lb2fpbZo[/YT]

So yeah I've known that for years he started in a band, but I became a fan of his film scores first. 3 years ago I finally got around to picking up their albums (the ones that are still in print)

I worded that carefully b/c I knew Elfman was from a band. He and his band even scored music to (Elfman's brother's) Forbidden Zone. Elfman, imo, has already proven that he's talented and in my book a real film composer. Who knows how to use an orchestra to his advantage. He's already proven that with Batman and many, many others. He's even tried his hand with writing music for an orchestra only (Serenada Schizophrana), as well as Ballet, Rabbit and Rouge (sp?), and the upcoming Cirque Du Soleil: Iris. So this man has grown a lot not just as film composer, but as a composer in general.

I can't see Trent Reznor, Daft Punk, RZA, etc, etc, etc, achieve what Elfman's has achieved.

Um... What?

"What musician would you like to see try their hand at acting?"

ACTING IS DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody. I was talking about musicians trying their hands at scoring films.

Yeah I know you were being unfunny and lame at the same time.

Oh, okay I got it. It doesn't count for elfman, but everyone else instead. Thanks for clearing that up. :up:

Yeah I know it's as fightening as the MV/RC crew taking over the film scoring industry, imo. Oh and about that oscar debacle. Yeah everyone knows the Oscars are full of it. That award should have been given to Powell's HTTYD. And Elfman's Alice score got robbed of a nomination. It's a sad. sad, freakin' world when Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross has an oscar for best original score, but Ennio Morricone, Alan Silvestri, Thomas and Randy Newman, James Newton Howard, and of course the Dan Man himself don't even have freakin one. What a joke that win was.

Yeah I agree some films call for it like the Blade films. As well as Stomp The Yard, You Got Served and all that other rubbish in that genre.

Yeah that's b/c he's a director and knows a thing about films and film music. Plus he knows what he wants with the music for his film that's why he composes them himself. He probably has the music in his head as he's directing and editing the film. And if I'm not mistaken his dad gave him a piano and taught Carpenter how to play it when he was a kid. So even thoiugh he knew little about composing film music he had an ear for film music. Bernard Hermann was the inspiration for his Halloween score. Even Morricone was an influence to some of his film scores. So weak example.

Nope I won't unclog my ears or open my mind, b/c they are fine as is. Film music don't need all that noise and rubbish from these bands and musicians. I want real film music. Oh and I'm glad Trent Reznor isn't scoring that Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter. Again stick to music videos and albums. Leave film music to film composers who actually know a thing and a lot more about film music than these "musicians" and "bands" do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"