What type of Superman film would you have preferred?

CConn said:
Hmm. It's a hard question to answer because, if I were in control of the production, doing a movie like SR never would've even crossed my mind - it'd be a restart all the way. It'd be STAS and the current comics, and Lex Luthor: Man of Steel all combined into one. And it would be fantastic.

However, would it have been as fantastic as I thought SR was? Would it be good enough to be my favorite superhero movie like SR is? Honestly, I don't know. As great as STAS, the current comics are none of them did what SR did. None of them made me as big of a fan of Superman as SR did. And for that reason, I think I'll pick SR on the poll.

Did you read my mind or something? Because that is exactly what I was thinking, word for word. Though I chose the restart option because that is what I would have done if I were in charge and I still think that is the route that they should have taken, even though Superman Returns is my favorite superhero film.

Katsuro said:
there's more to Batman's origin than just his parent's death, which is all we'd seen before Batman Begins. Tell me, in Burton's Batman continuiy, where did Bruce Wayne learn how to fight? Where did he get all his gadgets? Where'd the Batmobile come from? What made him decide that dressing up to fight crime was the right way to deal with his parents death? None of that was explained before Batman Begins.

.Bruce learned to fight while travelling the world, evidenced by the collection of armors and weapons. "It's japanese...because i bought it in japan."
.he built the batmobile and the gadgets himslef using technology that wasn't on the market yet, same with the suit.
.he's not an intimidating looking guy, so he needed a way to become more threatening.

i don't mean to negate your point, i actually agree with you, but these are all things that are hinted at or vaguely adressed in batman and batman returns. burton was just subtle in what he SHOWED with it as opposed to nolan's method of TELLING us everything.

I like comic book movies. Superman Returns isn't a comic book movie. It's a pop culture movie. I want a Superman COMIC BOOK movie. Period.

I liked SR and loved Routh. They could have chosen no one better. Even better: he will grow more into the role in the next two films. My child one day will say Brandon Routh was Superman the same way we said it about Reeve.

With that said, SR wasnt perfect. I felt like I was watching Superman 78 again. Get a new theme and opening.

I also would have left out the damn kid, Lois Lane being married/divorced and Cyclops altogether.

I wouldn't have had Supes going away for 5 years. He wouldnt do that.

I hate restarts. I hated Batman Begins for this reason. Everyone knows the origins. Get to the story and the point.

Save planets; beat on bad guys already.

And for God's sake: no more funny, crappy villians (LEX LUTHOR). I want RUTHLESS, MURDERING, CREEPY MF's that wreak havoc for our heroes to clean up and save us all from. Im hoping for this in The Dark Knight with the Joker. Im not holding my breath however.

Im realistic and know that the main reason hero movies are produced are to sell product and appeal to kids.

I would give my left arm to see an adult superhero movie (im not talking Sin City) that had cussing, nudity, and real violence. It will never happen.

A complete, and fresh re-start would have been my personal preference.

Anything but a Donner superman based fan film/vague history sequel.

I liked Returns, but I think a restart would have been better. And here's how I would have liked to have seen it:

1) A Clark/Superman more akin to the Man of Steel version. However, I actually would have liked to see the Superman side trying to be confident and inspiring instead of instantly being confident and inspiring. Not that I want Supes to be a wuss, but if this is a restart, this is Superman just starting. He hasn't entirely figured out how to be Superman yet. By the end of the film, he should have grown a good deal more as a character and come to fill out the role of Superman.

2) Lex's characterization more akin to that in "Lex Luthor: Man of Steel." He's not a purely evil megalomaniac. He's a humanitarian who wants to save the world. Wether we like it or not.

3) Bizarro as the physical threat. Preferably the very tragic Bizarro of Superman: The Animated Series.

If it were happening my way, a few plot points I would have would be:

Lex creates Bizarro as a means to control or possibly replace Superman. He feels that uncontroled superhumans are dangerous, and that figures who paint angelic pictures of themselves and try and save humanity by dealing with the symptoms and not the disease itself are only crippling humanity's ability to fend for itself. However, Bizarro gets out of hand and, in it's confused, childlike state, is much more of a threat than Superman may or may not pose. Superman tries to talk down Bizarro and help him, but they end up fighting one another. Due to being an imperfect clone, Bizarro's cells break down (which is why he's deformed the way he is) making him slightly less durable than Superman, and thus resulting in his death during the fight. I would also completely ommit Kryptonite from the story.

Sounds pretty good. Although personally I'd prefer Metallo to Bizzaro.

.....I didn't say anything about Brainiac. :confused:

Bizzaro, Brainiac, the only difference really is that they're totally different characters. :o

I'd have Bizarro because in terms of narrative depth, he's better than Metallo. Besides, I'd like to shy away from Kryptonite.

Kevin Roegele said:
How about a TOTAL RESTART BUT KEEPING JOHN WILLIAM'S THEME TUNE?

Well a re-start could have been done without doing the obligatory origin story.

When the movie opens up. Superman is Superman with his alter ego Clark Kent having been working at the Daily Planet for the past two years.

Everything is as we know it except...Superman nor the public knows of his alien Kryptonian origins. As far as Clark and his adopted parents know, he is some metahuman or guinea pig in some government experiment...but he does consider himself human...until a threat to the world from his homeworld arrives...Brainiac.

Kevin Roegele said:
How about a TOTAL RESTART BUT KEEPING JOHN WILLIAM'S THEME TUNE?

Well a re-start could have been done without doing the obligatory origin story.

When the movie opens up. Superman is Superman with his alter ego Clark Kent having been working at the Daily Planet for the past two years.

Everything is as we know it except...Superman nor the public knows of his alien Kryptonian origins. As far as Clark and his adopted parents know, he is some metahuman or guinea pig in some government experiment...but he does consider himself human...until a threat to the world from his homeworld arrives...Brainiac.

I loved SR,but I would of liked a reboot better.Because its a sequel to a film from about 25 years ago and many kids these days haven't seen the Reeves films.So I think B.O. wise SR would have done better if it was a reboot and not a sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"