• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

What Western property would make a good anime series?

crazy monkey

The worst kind of monkey.
Reaction score
TV shows, movies, comics, novels - whatever. And how would you like to see it done? I'll start:

STAR WARS: An anime remake is a perfect excuse to give the now-completed story a much needed rewrite. Since Anikan/Vader is the main character, I'd rather the show focus on him. He should be in the first shot of the first episode. Instead of starting with this childhood and moving forward, start the series just before Episode IV, and have the first season lead up to the destruction of the Death Star. All the aspects of Anakin's past, his childhood, training and betrayal, could be done in flashback as the story requires it.

The emphasis would be on Vader's trapped existence (pictured by the suit), his disillusionment with Palpatine, regret over the bleak, war-torn Galaxy they have created together, and the glimmer of hope he finds in the discovery of Luke -- a hope that is twisted by his Sith nature into a thirst for his master's power and a need to take revenge. However, by setting his plan into motion he unwittingly brings about the fulfillment of his own prophecied destiny, along with something else he thought impossible -- redemption.

We could fill in the gaps between IV, V and VI, retool the good guys a bit (Luke less whiny, Han more hardcore, Leia mas sexy), and make the Rebel's struggle for victory a bit more desperate. I'd also like to bring the fairy-tale feel of the prequels into the OT timeline, especially in the visual design. The clothes, the ships, the Stormtroopers -- everything should look less Robotech, more Escaflowne.

And now, for something completely different.

DICK TRACY: Noir is in, thanks to Sin City. Dick Tracy is ripe for revival. If you've only seen this character and his world as they are portrayed in Warren Beatty's film, then you don't know Dick.

The Tracy comics, especially the early classics, were hard-boiled, violent and brimmed with real emotion. They were instrumental in bringing adult readership and respectability to comics, and rightfully so. Tracy strips were sometimes brutal, but not for brutality's sake. Some stories had a light heart, and there were sillier characters for comic relief. But not the villians. Unlike the film, they were never played for laughs. Cold-blooded and calculating, they each posed a new challange for Tracy right down to their bitter end (usually in a hail of bullets.)

So I'm thinkin', the visual style of Gungrave with the writing style of Cowboy Bebop. The scripts could be adapted from the original stories, albeit with a view towards threading them together into a more cohesive continuity. That way we avoid mashing all those terrific villains together into one big gang and completely losing their characters (another mistake made by the filmmakers.)

OK, that's me for now. Thoughts? Ideas?

-- END!

Nice. X-Men and Turtles are perfect fits.

But Terminator... good call. How do you see that adapted, fury?

-- END!

Set in the future. The last pockets of human resistance fighting for survival against machines.

Supernatural - Two brothers hunt down supernatural beings in old time Japan. One a hard nose samurai. The other a passive scholar studying some ****. When their father goes missing. Well yah you get the picture :o

X-Files could work as well.

DC's Enemy Ace. The Japanese are very good at making wartime anime series both action-packed and emotionally rivetting, Enemy Ace about WWI German ace pilot Hans Von Hammer is similar to Rurouni Kenshin's Kenshin in a sense that he's very good at killing but he really just hates it.

I would like it if the series was given the RK OVA's style of animation and was completely dubbed in German

X-Ray, that's a nice creative spin on the premise. I like moving it out of the modern day.

But sandwraith wins the non-prize for Enemy Ace. Von Hammer animated -- in German?! Dude, you had me at Kenshin. Hooray for foreign languages!

Here's a thought. If anyone viewing is of an artistic bent, why don't we get some fanart for the ideas posted so far? Or, even for a new one. If you've got the free time, don't just describe it -- draw it!

...And yes, it's cheating to post Star Wars manga art for my idea. ^_^

-- END!

TV shows, movies, comics, novels - whatever. And how would you like to see it done? I'll start:

STAR WARS: An anime remake is a perfect excuse to give the now-completed story a much needed rewrite. Since Anikan/Vader is the main character, I'd rather the show focus on him. He should be in the first shot of the first episode. Instead of starting with this childhood and moving forward, start the series just before Episode IV, and have the first season lead up to the destruction of the Death Star. All the aspects of Anakin's past, his childhood, training and betrayal, could be done in flashback as the story requires it.

The emphasis would be on Vader's trapped existence (pictured by the suit), his disillusionment with Palpatine, regret over the bleak, war-torn Galaxy they have created together, and the glimmer of hope he finds in the discovery of Luke -- a hope that is twisted by his Sith nature into a thirst for his master's power and a need to take revenge. However, by setting his plan into motion he unwittingly brings about the fulfillment of his own prophecied destiny, along with something else he thought impossible -- redemption.

We could fill in the gaps between IV, V and VI, retool the good guys a bit (Luke less whiny, Han more hardcore, Leia mas sexy), and make the Rebel's struggle for victory a bit more desperate. I'd also like to bring the fairy-tale feel of the prequels into the OT timeline, especially in the visual design. The clothes, the ships, the Stormtroopers -- everything should look less Robotech, more Escaflowne.

DICK TRACY: Noir is in, thanks to Sin City. Dick Tracy is ripe for revival. If you've only seen this character and his world as they are portrayed in Warren Beatty's film, then you don't know Dick.

The Tracy comics, especially the early classics, were hard-boiled, violent and brimmed with real emotion. They were instrumental in bringing adult readership and respectability to comics, and rightfully so. Tracy strips were sometimes brutal, but not for brutality's sake. Some stories had a light heart, and there were sillier characters for comic relief. But not the villians. Unlike the film, they were never played for laughs. Cold-blooded and calculating, they each posed a new challange for Tracy right down to their bitter end (usually in a hail of bullets.)

So I'm thinkin', the visual style of Gungrave with the writing style of Cowboy Bebop. The scripts could be adapted from the original stories, albeit with a view towards threading them together into a more cohesive continuity. That way we avoid mashing all those terrific villains together into one big gang and completely losing their characters (another mistake made by the filmmakers.)

-- END!

No offense but..........please God NEVER let these suggestions happen! You are talking about butchering two classics here!.:csad:

LoL

Don't forget what Gonzo did to Witchblade. I've never been too keen on the Japanese-written transformers either.

Thats the problem with Japanese writing:

when its light-hearted, its corny (i.e all harem anime)
when its dark it becomes needlessly complicated like Serial Experiment Lain. Very few have ever been able to strike a balance between the two which is why if ever an Enemy Ace anime/toon is created, I'd make a pact with Satan to bring Robert Kanigher back to life just to see it done right.

I chose Enemy Ace because I kinda liked the idea of a remorseful killing machine that was Hans Von Hammer. He's got quite a gallery of foes too including:

The Hangman (French Nieuport ace)
Steve Savage (American Volunteer ace)
The Flying Skulls (French Nieuport squad)
St. George (English Sopwith ace)

Add new characters (maybe a profilic female pilot babe) and Herr Rittmeister shall soar again!

I wonder how an anime Ghostbusters would do. Though I bet there would be either a girl in the mix or an all female Ghostbuster team wearing miniskirts lol Gettin' them slimed would probably turn on the otaku xD

I wonder how an anime Ghostbusters would do. Though I bet there would be either a girl in the mix or an all female Ghostbuster team wearing miniskirts lol Gettin' them slimed would probably turn on the otaku xD

ghostbustersex1nz4.jpg

:o

uh ... yah I know :dry: That's why I put this part ...

Though I bet there would be either a girl in the mix or an all female Ghostbuster team

of this post ...

in bold text. :o To point out that the idea of a female ghostbuster already happened on the western end. It just sucked. :o

-- END!
^That's my biggets gripe with the PT-OT transition. It goes from a majestic, aristocratic design to a cold industiral one. This is a reason I've pushed for a Remake :-)wow: ) of the Original Trilogy.

Not to say the PT isn't flawed. TPM would require an overhaul on its storyline. Anakin would be in his teens, ideally around the age he was in AOTC. Jar-Jar would be less comic relief and maybe force-sensitive. Definitly a more Solo-ish personality. I'd also like to see more of Greivous, too. He and Maul needed to be fleshed out, rather than tossed in to look cool.

Maybe in ROTJ the finale could take us to Coruscant, to the Emperor's Stronghold or perhaps Korriban. Luke and Leia would not lock lips in TESB either. George seems to be more into the incest thing than most other fans.

an all female Ghostbuster team wearing miniskirts

Ain't nothin' wrong with that, bro. :word:

Ultra-Herald9 said:
No offense but..........please God NEVER let these suggestions happen! You are talking about butchering two classics here!.:csad:

None taken, dude. Just havin' some fun. But why are they butchering, exactly?

I mean, sure, Star Wars as a whole is a classic, but lets face it, it's far from perfect. We all have our complaints with the prequels and, thanks to a thirty-year gap in its creator's career, there's some weird continuity issues and a major difference in quality and style. Not to mention that the protagonist flip-flops into the role of antagonist half-way through the story now. I was just dreaming about a beautifully animated series that would correct all that. And c'mon, you can't say the thought of anime Jedi fights doesn't make the twelve-year-old in you do a dance. :woot:

As for Tracy -- I'm a huge fan of Chester Gould's shovel-jawed cop. I still remember the day, the weather, even the book store (B. Dalton's in the mall) that I got the Definitive Dick Tracy collection. I was pretty young, and my mom bought it for me because she remembered the strip from when she was a kid. Thankfully, she didn't recall the violence and sexual innuendo! Those things fried my brain like an egg, and I knew I had a dark side. So, the last thing I would want is a butchering of these great works. I feel that if the writing has real respect for the source, then the art style can explode into new territory.

Morzan gets what I'm sayin'. You're right about Grevious and Maul. Forget Dooku and Nute Gunray. Stupid names. Stupid, pointless characters, in my opinion. I'd rather see Maul as the only apprentice, fleshed out into a real character and surviving until Anakin offs him, and have Grevious as the head of the Trade Federation. I'd think it'd be a great irony for him to fail Palpatine, but the old coot keeps him alive with the parts of his own droids almost as a joke.

But when the Clone Wars begin, Grevious is determined to validate his existence, and he fights back to prove himself to Sidious. That's why the Sith Lord gives his new apprentice a similar second chance -- he's learned the tenacity and determinedness that fuels a crippled person to prove themselves.

I like the finale taking place on Coruscant. It would mean no Ewoks, for one thing, and it would nicely mirror Yoda's defeat to Sidious. Especially if, in his egotism, he remodeled the old Senate chamber into his throne room. It's also be nice to revisit Naboo at some point, or just have the Death Star zap the place and be done with it. That planet and what it represents for Anikan needs closure.

OK, enough SW talk. More anime ideas!

-- END!

Well interestingly enough, Powerpuff Girls is now a Japanese anime.

And the very missed Exo-squad. As an anime, it would basically be dialed up to 11 :) .

PPGZ needs to come to the states now. :o:up:

the only one i can really think of that would truelly fit with the light moments, good fights and also scary animation would be buffy and angel.

Well interestingly enough, Powerpuff Girls is now a Japanese anime.

And the very missed Exo-squad. As an anime, it would basically be dialed up to 11 :) .

Now that would be the **** :wow:

Maybe some Pern material. It would have to be a faithful adaption, one that would live up to the author's vision. I'd opt for the first story, Dragonflight.

Rain, how would you envision the Whedonverse as an anime? Pretty much the same, or more "Japanesey?"

And Oh. My. GOD -- EXOSQUAD! VileOne, you state the truth. Totally forgot about that show.

Pern certainly has alot of potential. Anime needs another epic fantasy series. 12 Kingdoms was good, but not great. And it's been a long time since Lodoss War.

So, how's about a Pirates of Dark Water anime? I mean, there's a huge cult following for this show, and we all know it got the shaft before its tale could be fully told. It was basically trying to be anime anyway, so why not let the original creators team up with a Japanese studio and go nuts?

We could throw ThunderCats in there too. No real changes needed to either one of these shows. Just leave out the 'corny' and double the 'kick-ass.'

-- END!

Rain, how would you envision the Whedonverse as an anime? Pretty much the same, or more "Japanesey?"

And Oh. My. GOD -- EXOSQUAD! VileOne, you state the truth. Totally forgot about that show.

Pern certainly has alot of potential. Anime needs another epic fantasy series. 12 Kingdoms was good, but not great. And it's been a long time since Lodoss War.

So, how's about a Pirates of Dark Water anime? I mean, there's a huge cult following for this show, and we all know it got the shaft before its tale could be fully told. It was basically trying to be anime anyway, so why not let the original creators team up with a Japanese studio and go nuts?

We could throw ThunderCats in there too. No real changes needed to either one of these shows. Just leave out the 'corny' and double the 'kick-ass.'

-- END!
Used to watch that one as a wee lad. I remember the dragon-parrot thing that liked mango melons. What was its name again?

As for that Turtles anime video, I had the toy of Raphael with the phoenix armor, just never knew where it came from. Now I cringe. Did the Turtles anime ever kick off, or was it just a single episode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"