• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What will be Marvel's answer to Batman Arkham City?

I agree.... In a way, mostly because he's the most well known to the general audience. I'd really like to see someone take on Dare Devil as well. I'd also, like I said, really like to see a GTA like world staring Ghost Rider...

I'm not sure how well Daredevil would work, the thing with the Batman: Arkham games is you really feel like Batman. I almost think the developers would need to go against their instincts and make the game entirely in "detective/radar vision mode" make it "seen" through Daredevil eyes, you can't use the pretty graphics. Having a game where you see everything perfectly and in full color means you've missed the point of the character in my mind. I think if done this way it'd work.

The problem with this thread is....

A) Marvel doesn't need an answer to Arkham Asylum/City. Those were the first DC Games that EVER Got that reception. If any thing there should be a thread about how DC can keep that trend up with other characters.

B) If by some notion Marvel wants an answer to Arkham Asylum/City. They should not pick anyone who would be a Marvel like Batman character. Meaning they should focus on making a good game for someone who isn't primarily a street crime fighter. Meaning people should shy away for Daredevil, Luke Cage, Moon Knight.

I must say after reading this article I'm even more incensed at Marvel for their crappy video game contributions.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35060

I mean, in the same week Arkham City is released and everyone is so happy playing that, they dare come out and say hey, we're just as cool. We're developing a Superhero Squad game and Pinball!

I think a Planet Hulk game would be fantastic. One which is sort of 300 inspired with just a hint of Mass Effect. It's definetly a story which may not do so well as a movie but would be perfect for a video game

Hahaha. Lord jesus. Everyone's dropped themselves on their heads. EVERYTHING DC video game wise until Arkham Asylum and Arkham City were ****. Those were the very first DC Games on the market worth a damn.

There's been loads of video games pre-dating them that Marvel did that brought critical and successful attention. Spider-Man 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Spider-Man on the original Playstation, the very first X-Men Legends game, etc.

The problem with Marvel now is that they just need to go after a better development studio as long as they are at Activison things won't get better for their current state.

Whereas perhaps DC should work on having more than 2 good games on the market and seeing if they can copy the success of the Arkham games with other DC franchises.

Last edited:
I watched X-Men 3 last night and just thought how epic a properly done X-Men game could be. Not that the movie itself is epic or great, but it just worked as a reminder.

And I don't mean an X-Men game in the style of Ultimate Alliance or anything like that, but more of an action game like AC or XMO: Wolverine. You wouldn't have to be able to play as 10 X-Men or anything like that, but rather a select few who are more relevant. Have an epic story to that, with as much love to the universe and characters as Rocksteady has for Batman and we'd have a winner

The problem with this thread is....

A) Marvel doesn't need an answer to Arkham Asylum/City. Those were the first DC Games that EVER Got that reception. If any thing there should be a thread about how DC can keep that trend up with other characters.
+1. I think people seem to forget that a few years ago, people were wondering why cant DC get a game as good as X-men Legends? Why cant DC get a good fighting crossover like MvC? Why cant any of DC's heavy hitters get a good game like Spiderman 2 or Hulk Ultimate Destruction? Marvel already has a history of pushing out good games for its characters. AC may very wellbe the best comic based game ever, but I dont think Marvel should make it their mission to try and emulate it

But one amazing AAA game is worth more than all those "good" games IMO. Now Marvel has been beaten in the "best superhero game" area, and should try to reclaim that throne if you ask me. That's the beauty of competition, rivals try to better each other, which eventually may end with better products.

I know that Marvel maybe doesn't "need" to beat Arkham City because people buy their games anyway. But one can hope that they would try.

^Agreed, BAA managed to be one of the best titles on PS3 to so many, ranking really high

Marvel has had some okay games in the past, but the Arkham games are clearly of a much higher caliber. They stand tall among even among the very best video games.

The most positive thing you can say about even the best Marvel games is that they're good for liscenced games. Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are just damn good video games, and they would be just as good even if they weren't related to Batman. I have trouble saying the same about many Marvel games.

Marvel has had some okay games in the past, but the Arkham games are clearly of a much higher caliber. They stand tall among even among the very best video games.

The most positive thing you can say about even the best Marvel games is that they're good for liscenced games. Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are just damn good video games, and they would be just as good even if they weren't related to Batman. I have trouble saying the same about many Marvel games.

Well said! :up:

Obviously a Spider-Man free roam game would be ideal. Honestly, as seen in SM2 and USM, the character in a free roam environment is incredibly fun[//i] and honestly lends himself more to that style of gameplay than Batman does. It's a true credit to Rocksteady that they have cracked that nut with a much tougher property and created two true masterpieces in a row.

With that said, there is a long history of good Marvel games--Spider-Man (PS1/N64), Spider-Man: Movie Game (PS2, GC, Xbox), Spider-Man 2 (PS2, etc.), X-Men Legends (PS2, etc.) Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (current gen). Plus the X-Men and Spidey arcade games in the '90s, Marvel vs. Capcom, etc.

Though I don't think any of those are B:AC quality--though the N64 Spidey did for that generation what Arkham Asylum did for Spidey, sadly there was no epic follow up. What Marvel really needs to do is get away from Activision and Sega and find a hungry developer like Neversoft in the '90s and Rocksteady is today.

See, I don't have the same kind of trouble you have.

Yes, Arkham are fantastic games. But they're just as much "licensed games" as anything Marvel-related, so I find this complaint a bit hypocritical.

Marvel games (some of them, anyway) are/were unique and groundbreaking in their day; many still stand the test of time.

Spidey 2 introduced a whole new element to free-roam cities by allowing you to travel not only in the streets (GTA and other free-roamers already paved the way for that), but all the way to the rooftops of the tallest skyscrapers as well. All while traveling by webslinging and wall-crawling. No other game does that, except of course, for Spidey sequels.

X-Men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance were unique and groundbreaking in their day as superhero RPGs. Certainly, MUA2 looks hopelessly outdated in an era where City of Heroes and DCU Online are the norm for modern super RPGs, but a few years back, XML/MUA set the RPG standard.

The Punisher and XMO: Wolverine games were also fairly unique and groundbreaking, and received lots of critical and fan praise (and face it, those games are a *lot* grittier and more adult than Arkham, even if they're not as engrossing or fun as the latter). TIH: Ultimate Destruction....same.

I'll grant that Marvel hasn't exactly put out a high quality game for several years, and certainly nothing groundbreaking to attract critical acclaim, since 2005-2006 (MVC3 shore is purty and all, but it's nothing new --- still just another fighter whose "3" belies its lack of real originality). But I sure as hell wouldn't call the games that were coming out back then just "okay."

With that said, there is a long history of good Marvel games--Spider-Man (PS1/N64), Spider-Man: Movie Game (PS2, GC, Xbox), Spider-Man 2 (PS2, etc.), X-Men Legends (PS2, etc.) Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (current gen). Plus the X-Men and Spidey arcade games in the '90s, Marvel vs. Capcom, etc.
That game isn't so good, Spider-Man is too slow and normal thugs are faster than he is. If only that problem was solved, the game would really deserve the liking it received

A Nova game would be awesome. Could be a beat em up/rpg/space based dog fighting type game.

A third person shooter/slasher Deadpool game could be cool.

+1. I think people seem to forget that a few years ago, people were wondering why cant DC get a game as good as X-men Legends? Why cant DC get a good fighting crossover like MvC? Why cant any of DC's heavy hitters get a good game like Spiderman 2 or Hulk Ultimate Destruction? Marvel already has a history of pushing out good games for its characters. AC may very wellbe the best comic based game ever, but I dont think Marvel should make it their mission to try and emulate it

That's the problem with DC, they give the best to Batman (best movie, best show, best games), but everyone else gets s*** on. The only DC character who's had some luck outside of comics is Superman, who's had some decent movies & a decent animated series.

I say marvel's first step should be eliminating movie tie in games entirely, I highly doubt they move alot of units or enough to make a marginal profit. Who actually buys those expecting a great gaming experience other then kids under 16 who dont any better. I look at movie tie in games as the straight to dvd of video games. I will bet my entire house and yearly income that next years avengers game (if one) and amazing spiderman game get ripped apart by critics and have sucky mechanics.

Viva Latveria!

A young Victor Von Doom rules the streets of this Gothic Metropolis using his wits and inventions to undermine the political power of The Baron.

Doom is destined to rule. Now's your chance to obey.

Legacy of Latveria. A Bioware production.

flag.jpg

:D

:doom: :doom: :doom:

I say marvel's first step should be eliminating movie tie in games entirely, I highly doubt they move alot of units or enough to make a marginal profit. Who actually buys those expecting a great gaming experience other then kids under 16 who dont any better. I look at movie tie in games as the straight to dvd of video games. I will bet my entire house and yearly income that next years avengers game (if one) and amazing spiderman game get ripped apart by critics and have sucky mechanics.

Nah moive tie-ins sells well. So they'll keep coming.

A Dare devil game could be done VERY similar to the arkham games, with a blind vision as opposed to detective....

also a punisher in the style of opposite GTA would be fun

As great as a Daredevil game could be, I don't want a game that completely rips off Arkham City. Whoever they base their game on, needs to offer something different from Batman.

as long as Activision keeps churning out Spiderman and X-Men games every year like they do with COD, they will always be pretty mediocre. Sega hasn't really done a good job as well with their tie-in games.

at the very least i am hoping that a publisher can create games for the less popular Marvel guys like Daredevil, Punisher, Ghost Rider, etc.

Marvel should start being more open in the world of games besides Spidey, Crossover games (MUA, MvC) & the occasional X-Men game.

I want a Daredevil game, a Punisher game, a Moon Knight game, a Ghost Rider & a Deadpool game. A Deadpool game would be amazing if done right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"