• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What would you want to see in another Hulk movie?

As you've probably noticed, I'm very vocal about all things Hulk. But why do you guys/gals believe the Hulk has not performed as well as the other two Marvel Studio's franchises IM and Thor? Captain America has an huge buzz so far, so why has the Hulk lacked the appeal?

Ever see the Shaw Brothers movie 8 Diagram Pole Fighters? Great flick.

I like the Hulk's portrayal for the show. He. pretty much the Gravage Hulk from the comic books with a little of Gray Hulk's sense of humor. When he gets pissed he starts speaking in third person like the Savage Hulk. They did a better job with him than I expected.

Just curious, what is he supposed to be?

hehe I havent but now that you mention it Ill check it out tonight.

The portrayal on the show allows for the hulk to be part of the team while maintaining the anger aspect of the character. I understand that the classic Hulk is a violent brute, but IMO he needs a bit more than that. I cant remember what the ultimates version does in regards to this overall, but I think he is just locked up most of the time and conveniently the hulk is loose everytime they need him and he does what they need him to do. For me that works once, but the same gimmick for multiple storylines doesnt work. There are of course individual stories where the hulk as a violent angry brute works of course and it delivers a very personal message. However Im of the opinion that a Peter David style hulk is nice.(but no jokes of course)

What approach would a guy like Joss Whedon take? Im very curious. Any ideas from people that know his style?

Last edited:
hehe I havent but now that you mention it Ill check it out tonight.

The portrayal on the show allows for the hulk to be part of the team while maintaining the anger aspect of the character. I understand that the classic Hulk is a violent brute, but IMO he needs a bit more than that. I cant remember what the ultimates version does in regards to this overall, but I think he is just locked up most of the time and conveniently the hulk is loose everytime they need him and he does what they need him to do. For me that works once, but the same gimmick for multiple storylines doesnt work. There are of course individual stories where the hulk as a violent angry brute works of course and it delivers a very personal message. However Im of the opinion that a Peter David style hulk is nice.(but no jokes of course)

What approach would a guy like Joss Whedon take? Im very curious. Any ideas from people that know his style?

Other than the way the television show and movies have portrayed him, Hulk really isn't a senseless violent brute. He just has a low tolerance...well...for just about everything, least of all someone bossing him around. Hulk in TAEMHs is written mostly by Christopher Yost a comic book writer as well, and he has Hulk pretty much exactly as the comic books do that version. Even in the show, we see a Hulk who does not like taking orders and one who has left the team and threatened to leave a few times. He also has the qualities of the comic book Hulk, who is extremely loyal and protective of his friends and teammates.

The Hulk should not be a plot device victory that comes out to save the day. He needs to be characterized as well. The show is the reason I loathe the choice of Hulk in the movies, they could have gone with this characterization. In the Hulk vs DVD's, they too did not capture the true Savage Hulk, who is supposed to be Child-like and not a beast who seeks violence for violence sake.

PAD went through Hulk's history and made sense of the convoluted stories and incarnations. He really only created the Merged Hulk/Maestro, but all other incarnations derive from Hulk's beginnings.

I personally think Whedon is going for the EMH's characterization of Hulk at least by the end of the movie.

Last edited:
Gamma ra, ive noticed you seem to know more about the hulk than most other members of the hype so I ask, could you list off a few classic hulk stories I could pick up? I've read everything from the past 3 or 4 years or so, including planet hulk. But I'm looking for more vintage classic stories from 80's and 90's, I also intend on getting Hulk: gray soon.

Gamma ra, ive noticed you seem to know more about the hulk than most other members of the hype so I ask, could you list off a few classic hulk stories I could pick up? I've read everything from the past 3 or 4 years or so, including planet hulk. But I'm looking for more vintage classic stories from 80's and 90's, I also intend on getting Hulk: gray soon.

Hulk to me is a case study of Banner's psyche and I enjoy trying to understand Him.

There are at least two other posters on this forum who's names I'm familiar with that I've seen recently post, who I know for a fact, know as much about Hulk as I do and that's ArtTeacher and CrackerJack and I know of others that blow me away. There's probably more on this board, I just have a bigger mouth. :woot:

If you can find The Incredible Hulk Omnibus which collects the Hulk's earliest tales from his origin to the Tales to Astonish days, you'll be able to see clearly where writers like Bill Mantlo, Peter David and Greg Pak got their exploration of the Hulk from.

There are too many single issues to name, but writers such as Len Wein, Steve Englehart, Roger Stern along with Bill Mantlo wrote a Savage Hulk that no one can compare. After reading their Savage/Child-like Hulk, you'll understand why I get defensive when people call him dumb or a raging beast. The way they developed him, he was far from.

Tell me if you want specific issues only.

All of Peter's David's Visionaries (a collection of his run) are a must for any serious Hulk fan.

Hulk The End Hardback
which collect two of the best Hulk tales Future Imperfect and The End

Peace In Our Time is a prelude to Planet Hulk a must Have.

Hulk to me is a case study of Banner's psyche and I enjoy trying to understand Him.

There are at least two other posters on this forum who's names I'm familiar with that I've seen recently post, who I know for a fact, know as much about Hulk as I do and that's ArtTeacher and CrackerJack and I know of others that blow me away. There's probably more on this board, I just have a bigger mouth. :woot:

If you can find The Incredible Hulk Omnibus which collects the Hulk's earliest tales from his origin to the Tales to Astonish days, you'll be able to see clearly where writers like Bill Mantlo, Peter David and Greg Pak got their exploration of the Hulk from.

There are too many single issues to name, but writers such as Len Wein, Steve Englehart, Roger Stern along with Bill Mantlo wrote a Savage Hulk that no one can compare. After reading their Savage/Child-like Hulk, you'll understand why I get defensive when people call him dumb or a raging beast. The way they developed him, he was far from.

Tell me if you want specific issues only.

All of Peter's David's Visionaries (a collection of his run) are a must for any serious Hulk fan.

Hulk The End Hardback
which collect two of the best Hulk tales Future Imperfect and The End

Peace In Our Time is a prelude to Planet Hulk a must Have.

I've read peace in our time, but I'm interested in the the incredible hulk visionaries by Peter David, and I I've seen the omnibus and try to get it.

Make sure you check out some of those Savage Hulk tales. I've enjoyed the Hulk run from about TIH #159 to #300 with hits and a few misses in between them. Bill Mantlo added a lot to the psychology of Hulk as well.

Hey Gamma Goliath and anyone else curious about the different Hulk incarnations, this site is from a poster from another board I post on, he sums up the Hulk's history in a cool way. It's a fun read called Superhero-Makeovers done in four parts. He's thorough.

http://screamsheet.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/superhero-makeovers-the-incredible-hulk-part-one/

well my view is, in regards to the MCU Hulk, every time Hulk is out he's learning (slowly)
every time banner transforms hulk evolves slightly. Hence the first time he transformed hulk was very child/wild animal like.
But as appears more, he's using words and sentence fragments, he might not be a genius one day but he's learning

Actually the MCU Hulkwas not child-like when he was first introduced. He was brutish and mean as hell. He had clouded thoughts but thought and reacted fast. His intelligence level was eradicate and he eventually devolve to the Savage child-like form. Certain incarnations have tapped into Banner's intelligence, also are naturally crafty and resourceful.

As you've probably noticed, I'm very vocal about all things Hulk. But why do you guys/gals believe the Hulk has not performed as well as the other two Marvel Studio's franchises IM and Thor? Captain America has an huge buzz so far, so why has the Hulk lacked the appeal?

I really blame Ang Lee more than anyone. When the first movie came out, there was enough buzz going in, and it actually opened better than Thor (attendance-wise), so there is major interest there. The problem was, the movie was so boring, and it delve way too much on Bruce's scarred psyche, not enough action. People didn't like it, word-of-mouth was generally negative, boom, you have a flop. The Incredible Hulk movie had an uphill battle to overcome, which was a lot of bridges were burned because of the first Hulk movie. Remember, after Batman and Robin, the franchise received a lot of negative reactions from people across the board, and Batman Begins was not THAT successful worldwide, until strong DVD sales kicked into high gear. And The Dark Knight had the Joker (always a popular villain) and Heath Ledger's wonderful performance and his tragic passing (which contributed to audience awareness and curiosity), all of those reasons contributed to the massive success of the second Nolan directed batman movie. If Ang Lee's Hulk did not exist, and the franchise opened with The Incredible Hulk, you guys will probably in your third or fourth movie by now. Seriously. Ang Lee is the culprit. I recently re-watched Incredible Hulk, and I was thinking, this is actually pretty good (back when the second movie was shown in theaters, my perception of the film may have been clouded by the first Hulk movie, and I didn't like it). Anyway, you guys have the Avengers to look forward to, and depending on how the character will be portrayed, it's possible that audience reaction will be swayed in your favor if the portrayal of the Hulk is actually good.

They should release The Incredible Hulk 2 in 2014!

5 years gap is already too long!

I'd like to see Hulk as a character, acted using the AVATAR technology so that we can see him emote, feel and such. He should be the main character, not a plot hammer. I'd like to see Hulk and Banner at war portrayed on screen. It should be an epic dual role for Ruffalo or whoever.

I'd like to see a villain other than the government. Leader is good, I think. Not sure who he can have with him.

They should release The Incredible Hulk 2 in 2014!

5 years gap is already too long!
Indeed! :woot::up:

I'd like to see Hulk as a character, acted using the AVATAR technology so that we can see him emote, feel and such. He should be the main character, not a plot hammer. I'd like to see Hulk and Banner at war portrayed on screen. It should be an epic dual role for Ruffalo or whoever.

I'd like to see a villain other than the government. Leader is good, I think. Not sure who he can have with him.

I completely agree. I'd love to see hulk and banner conversating with each other agreeing and disagreeing, much like what is shown on EMH and in many classic and current comics, speaking through reflections.
I'd like to see the leader and his exploration in gamma radiation, and also an abomination who is further mutating (into a more classic looking abomy) who is vengeful towards banner and Hulk for ruining his life and is inability to change back.

Last edited:
Can anyone who is more plugged into the news and rumors than I am comment on what we know about the Hulk's role in the Avengers and future movies? Will he have a major role in the Avengers? Is there a definite plan for a solo film after that?

And if those things aren't really known, have there been any reliable rumors?

All I know is that they signed Mark Ruffalo on for five or six movies. I figure there will be two more Avengers movies, but nothing else concrete. If the audience is receptive to the direction they will take Hulk in in the Avengers movie, the we may see him appear in another TIH film or two.

All I know is that they signed Mark Ruffalo on for five or six movies. I figure there will be two more Avengers movies, but nothing else concrete. If the audience is receptive to the direction they will take Hulk in in the Avengers movie, the we may see him appear in another TIH film or two.

Thanks GR! That's at least more than I knew 10 minutes ago.

With Hulk appearing in the Avenger films and probably making cameos in other films plus the new series I don't think there will be enough demand for a solo Hulk movie.

He doesn't need to appear in any other movies besides his own films and the avengers movies. IMO.

their making tv show of the hulk sometime next yeaar makr rufflo is playing the david banner and the hulk i just don't see it working. like the old hulk show with billy biixy if it didn't have billy bixixy the show would never made it.

Can anyone who is more plugged into the news and rumors than I am comment on what we know about the Hulk's role in the Avengers and future movies? Will he have a major role in the Avengers? Is there a definite plan for a solo film after that?

Well, as you know Jarvis the butler has been replaced by an intelligent computer system so the role Hulk will play will be the sexy maid, complete with revealing panties and feather duster.

His major role will be removing cobwebs from Avengers mansion.

their making tv show of the hulk sometime next yeaar makr rufflo is playing the david banner and the hulk i just don't see it working. like the old hulk show with billy biixy if it didn't have billy bixixy the show would never made it.

The show will have nothing to do with the movie, so Mark ruffalo will not be playing David or Bruce Banner in it.

The show will definitely need a fine actor as does any show, but with any Super-hero show, the actor must be believable as the character.

What if they made Planet Hulk? I've actually never read it (I've seen the animated movie), but it sounds kinda interesting.

Last edited:
What if they made Planet Hulk? I've actually never read it (I've seen the animated movie), but it sounds kinda interesting.

I know the Incredible Hulk director Louis Letterrier mentioned Planet Hulk as being an awesome tale to bring to the big screen, I say if they can budget something like that...go for it.

The Planet Hulk animated movie was awesome, but it's pales in comparison with the actual comic story that is a must read for comic book fans. I'm not just saying this because I'm a Hulk enthusiast, but that is one of the best reads you'll ever read. Greg Pak wrote one hell of a tale for the record books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"