• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Whatever happened to the Solomon Kane trilogy?

The Face

Civilian
Reaction score
I just finished watching Solomon Kane,
It was amazing! :woot:
Following my experience of awesomeness I did some researsh into the movie and was surprised to learn that the response to it was universally positive. The cast and crew had a blast, the critics liked it, audiences liked it, DVD sales were ridiculoudly high, the response to this movie was universally positive. Bearing all this in mind I was even more surprised to learn that this movie was the first in a planned trilogy which would take Kane to Africa and early colonial America.
But the movie came out seven years ago and since then there hasn't been so much as a whisper, What happened? What became of this trilogy?
I did more research and I discovered that the box office numbers for this movie were really really low, nearly $20,000,000 against a $40,000,000 budget, further investigation I discovered that the movie wrapped production in late 2009, hit theatres in Britain in early 2010 but due to some unnamed legal difficulty the movie only came to American in 2012.
Did this delay hurt the box office numbers? Was the movie undermarketed? Is the next movie in production and we just don't know about it?
Has anyone heard anything that I missed?

...the box office numbers for this movie were really really low, nearly $20,000,000 against a $40,000,000 budget,...

There's your answer :D

Damn su hams as well as the first movie was great. Was hoping we would get a TV show if a sequel is not going ahead.

...the box office numbers for this movie were really really low, nearly $20,000,000 against a $40,000,000 budget,...

There's your answer :D
Yeah but I'm wondering how the numbers could be that low when the word of mouth for this movie was SO good.
:huh:
I haven't found a single negative review on the entire internet, a few people have a few individual problems with the movie but I have yet to find anyone who outrights hates this film, how rare is that?

Poor marketing and release. Dredd was critically acclaimed and beloved amongst (movie) fans, yet it didn't make any bank.

Another really good (IMHO) genre movie is Joe Carnahan's action comedy Stretch, and that didn't even get a theatrical release. It was just dumped online by Universal.

What I'm trying to say is that, unfortunately, not always what's good is successful (or even gets a proper release).

I just don't know why it hasn't been picked up for a TV show at least. I remember the director suggesting it if a sequel wasn't possible.

Maybe once GoT is finished HBO can?

I just don't know why it hasn't been picked up for a TV show at least. I remember the director suggesting it if a sequel wasn't possible.

Maybe once GoT is finished HBO can?

You know, I think that if it was a possibility, it has lost momentum. If another Solomon Kane movie or show pops up, it's probably going to be with a different creative team.

Did it even get a theatrical release? I remember a decent bit of buzz around it, and then nothing. There wasn't even a DVD release. Then the whole movie popped up on YouTube. Eventually there was a DVD release, years later if I remember right.

You know, I think that if it was a possibility, it has lost momentum. If another Solomon Kane movie or show pops up, it's probably going to be with a different creative team.

Yeah it does seem that ship has sailed, real shame as this creative team seemed really good, and Purefoy was awesome in the role.

If something does happen with another creative team down the line, I won't be quite as excited.

Did it even get a theatrical release? I remember a decent bit of buzz around it, and then nothing. There wasn't even a DVD release. Then the whole movie popped up on YouTube. Eventually there was a DVD release, years later if I remember right.

Not a wide release in the US. It's a niche movie, and doesn't really appeal to the general audience. The plot is a bit ambiguous--it didn't seem right that the devil could claim Solomon because his father made a deal. That creates rules for that universe that are very problematic. It's also somewhat slow paced in the beginning, but is a great movie based on pulp fiction.

This movie got REALLY ****ed over here in the US, which is odd because it's technically an American production. The movie was promoted at SDCC in 2009 and was showcased at Fantastic Fest shortly afterwards. Then the Weinstein Bros got their hands on the US distributions rights and just sat on them and did NOTHING. It then proceeded to get full theatrical and home video releases EVERYWHERE ELES IN THE WORLD ASAP....except the US.

It later got a very small theatrical release in September of 2012 under a different distributor (The Weinstein Company had given away the rights by then), but that was only because the director, Michael J. Basset, had gone on to direct Silent Hill Revelations at that point and the US release was kinda only to promote THAT movie. Fat load of good that did considering SH: Revelations SUCKED, but I can't blame that entirely on Basset (that's another story).

Anyway, ALLEGEDLY, we FINALLY got a US blu-ray release in 2013, but I've found no evidence that it happened. It can be found on the US iTunes Store and Amazon Instant Video for purchase, but good freaking luck finding a DVD or Blu-Ray copy of this movie that isn't an import from the UK or somewhere else. Great movie, but BOY did we American fans get screwed over on this. It's almost as bad as what happened with All The Boys Love Mandy Lane, ANOTHER movie that got excellent word of mouth at festivals but then never got a release until much later on!

Poor marketing and release. Dredd was critically acclaimed and beloved amongst (movie) fans, yet it didn't make any bank.

That was one the best films of that summer. Ugh, damn shame about that and a damn shame for Karl Urban.

:down

This movie got REALLY ****ed over here in the US, which is odd because it's technically an American production. The movie was promoted at SDCC in 2009 and was showcased at Fantastic Fest shortly afterwards. Then the Weinstein Bros got their hands on the US distributions rights and just sat on them and did NOTHING. It then proceeded to get full theatrical and home video releases EVERYWHERE ELES IN THE WORLD ASAP....except the US.

It later got a very small theatrical release in September of 2012 under a different distributor (The Weinstein Company had given away the rights by then), but that was only because the director, Michael J. Basset, had gone on to direct Silent Hill Revelations at that point and the US release was kinda only to promote THAT movie. Fat load of good that did considering SH: Revelations SUCKED, but I can't blame that entirely on Basset (that's another story).

Anyway, ALLEGEDLY, we FINALLY got a US blu-ray release in 2013, but I've found no evidence that it happened. It can be found on the US iTunes Store and Amazon Instant Video for purchase, but good freaking luck finding a DVD or Blu-Ray copy of this movie that isn't an import from the UK or somewhere else. Great movie, but BOY did we American fans get screwed over on this. It's almost as bad as what happened with All The Boys Love Mandy Lane, ANOTHER movie that got excellent word of mouth at festivals but then never got a release until much later on!

Madness what happened in the US with the release, I just don't know why they didn't give it a theatrical release with some marketing behind it. Damn shame.

That was one the best films of that summer. Ugh, damn shame about that and a damn shame for Karl Urban.

:down

Well Dredd still has light at the end of the tunnel if the latest reports are to be believed. I really wish SK had the same hope.

Kane's my favorite big-screen fantasy. Great character, great action, and thankfully a self-contained story. I had no idea they planned a trilogy.

I have a US blue-ray. http://www.amazon.com/Solomon-Kane-...8&qid=1462306093&sr=1-2&keywords=solomon+kane

SH was a mixed bag. PM me on the part that wasn't Basset's fault.

Anyway, ALLEGEDLY, we FINALLY got a US blu-ray release in 2013, but I've found no evidence that it happened. It can be found on the US iTunes Store and Amazon Instant Video for purchase, but good freaking luck finding a DVD or Blu-Ray copy of this movie that isn't an import from the UK or somewhere else. Great movie, but BOY did we American fans get screwed over on this.

I don't know about the bluray....but I bought my standard copy DVD at WalMart several years ago....so there was some type of US release.

It's a very good and very underrated movie. But then it's underrated because most people don't even know it exists.

It's just a damn shame Purefoy won't get the chance to play the character again. I never read the comics or books. But he was just so good in the role, someone you got behind.

Geez, I might have to watch Solomon Kane again. I remember seeing it shortly after it came out and not thinking much of it, but all this love for it makes me think maybe I missed something.

So basically the Weinstein's sat on the movie? That is utterly moronic! Why would they do that? From an economic stand point that makes no earthly sense!!!

Last edited:
Geez, I might have to watch Solomon Kane again. I remember seeing it shortly after it came out and not thinking much of it, but all this love for it makes me think maybe I missed something.
For what it's worth I'm hardcore fantasy fan (books and movies mainly) and I LOVE Solomon Kane: It posses fascinating questions of mortality, damnation and redemption while also just being an awesome dark fantasy with a ton of swashbuckling action anchored by a terrific lead performance and a gorgeously gothic production design.
Also (for bonus awesome points) it's based on a character created by Robert E. Howard, the pulp author who invented the Sword & Sorcery genre with Conan the Barbarian and Kull the Conqueror.

This is just my own opinion, but I think Michael J. Basset got a pretty bad rep when more than one of his films failed at the box office. For anyone who doesn't remember, he made the abysmal "Silent Hill: Revelations" after Solomon Kane. Yes, I am a huge fan of the Silent Hill games and first film, and it was just awful. He even had a meltdown when fans started bombing his twitter with negative opinions, and deleted it. Don't know if he currently has one now or not.

Then again, he has been directing episodes of Ash vs. Evil Dead, and so far that's been a great series.

Definitely worth a re-watch buddy, especially if you are a fantasy fan.

Last edited:
This is just my own opinion, but I think Michael J. Basset got a pretty bad rep when more than one of his films failed at the box office. For anyone who doesn't remember, he made the abysmal "Silent Hill: Revelations" after Solomon Kane. Yes, I am a huge fan of the Silent Hill games and first film, and it was just awful. He even had a meltdown when fans started bombing his twitter with negative opinions, and deleted it. Don't know if he currently has one now or not.

SH got some things right but it has more bad stuff then good. I applaud him for trying to merge the game mythology with the previous movie's.

I have a US blue-ray. http://www.amazon.com/Solomon-Kane-...8&qid=1462306093&sr=1-2&keywords=solomon+kane

SH was a mixed bag. PM me on the part that wasn't Basset's fault.

No need to PM. I can say it here:

Ok, bear in mind, Basset was only hired to do SH: Revelations b/c they needed a replacement for Roger Avery, who wrote the first movie and was supposed to write and direct this one. He got booted off due to being in prison for some sort of manslaughter charge, so they desperately hired the next person they could find. Avery, much like the director of the first movie, was a fan of the games. Basset, as far as I can tell, never played the games, hence the dumb ideas like making Pyramid Head a good guy and the Alessa fight towards the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"