• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

What's your favorite Batman actor?

JasonB

Civilian
Reaction score
My favorite is Christian Bale hands down. I think that he delivers the greatest takes on the Batman ever.
But there were others :
Lewis Wilson, Robert Lowery, Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, will be .. Ben Affleck (gallery)

Mayb Keaton could be #2 .. what's your opinion?

Including the animated stuff, I would say Kevin Conroy for #1.

For just the movies, it's a bit tougher. I think I'd have to go with Keaton though, so that's who I voted for.

Bale.

Keaton is so far my number 2 but that's only because everyone else was just horrible (in my opinion, of course). Keaton was enjoyable, as always as an actor. But he wasn't very Batman or Bruce Wayne for me. It felt like an experiment to have Bruce be a guy who isn't very built, wears glasses, like Spider-Man seems generally weak but feels more intimidating when he puts the suit on, ignores Gordon, and kills criminals left and right.

Entertaining performance but not my Batman. Looked great in the cowl though.

So Bale wins that round for Bat-characterization. As an actor he also wins while in the suit, even though some enjoy the calmer Keaton. I prefer Bale channeling a demon's shadow side AND rage as a form of therapy for himself...but to scare off criminals as well. Batman represents Bruce Waynes dark side, who he truly is, he's like a demon who's constantly talking himself into pulling back. He can't speak like he does normally because that would give away his identity (Conroy's voice is gold but that approach doesn't work when you try to make it believable). But at the same time he's not deepening the voice just to throw people off, it's his anguish seeping through the suit. All the years of pain built up, finally being released via the Batman because he can't release it in a board meeting or towards Alfred.

Bale understood that. It's not everybodys favorite take but it made the most sense to me. Plus Christian is my favorite actor out of that entire list.

Last edited:
For the time being, Christian Bale.

Keaton was Batman for me for a long time so he's probably my number 1, but if Kevin Conroy was included then he is my number 1, when I think of Batman talking I hear his voice.

Bale. He got the right balance of Batman and Bruce Wayne.

Conroy was a great voice, but he didn't physically bring the character to life like the others. But his interpretation of Batman is the definitive adaptation.

My ranking of the physical actors:

1. Bale
2. Keaton
3. West
4. Kilmer
5. Clooney
Conroy was a great voice, but he didn't physically bring the character to life like the others. But his interpretation of Batman is the definitive adaptation.
Yes.

In terms of Batman portrayal

Keaton then Bale

Overall

Bale then Keaton

Yes, Keaton. Someone out there should clone the guy and make a new Batman movie.

Kevin Conroy.

But given your limited choices:
Christian Bale. Part of it of course is due to the fine director he worked with, but the man explored such depth to the character with such emotional thoroughness, he beats all the others easily.

For me, anyway -
Live-action: Keaton, followed by West. I'd have put Bale second, except for his Batvoice in the sequels; I find Kilmer too stiff as Bruce Wayne, and Clooney's just playing Bruce Wayne in a Batsuit.
Animation: No contest, Conroy, easily. Past that, a three-way tie between Greenwood (YJ), Bader (TB&TB), and Sisto (New Frontier)

Bale, West then Kilmer. Keaton is an amazing actor, just never got into him being Batman. Clooney......never cared for him as an actor and just plain awful in Batman and Robin.

Christian Bale

Also....why isn't Adam West on the poll?

EDIT: Kevin Conroy's not on there either?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"