• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Where Are the Black Superhero Movies?

GL1 said:
Read comics. Seriously. Not only will you learn how to spell Jordan and Rayner, but you'll learn that John out thinks and is just all around deeper and more interesting than Kyle and Hal. He's definitely not white, though... which is kinda the point of this thread... readers are leaders.

Personelly, I prefer Kyle, because he has more imaginative constructs. And like I said before, Kyle is half Latino, so he's not White.

GL1 said:
Oh, and it's BEYOND past time for a John Stewart movie to be made...
Hal was first, he gets the first movie.

MangleBoP said:
Personelly, I prefer Kyle, because he has more imaginative constructs. And like I said before, Kyle is half Latino, so he's not White.

Understandable... glad you have that opinion. And true, Kyle does have some rarely mentioned, rarely-drawn ethnicity, that I have forgotten about... does Kyle, as a character, have any connection with any Latino culture? I mean, he is biologically not white, I see, but does he have any appreciation for things from his Latino background, or is it just 'oh... I'm not white' and he goes on with his life unchanged?

Hal was first, he gets the first movie.

1) Says who? 2)Alan was first. However, if you have other black superhero movie suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Seems to me the person who wrote the article was smoking crack.
So there haven't been a billion superhero movies in the past 4 or 5 years with a black person being the hero? Boo. Frickin'. Hoo. Oh, and yeah, right.

Just off the top of my head, we've had:

Steel
Blade
Blade II
Blade III
Blankman
Catwoman
Spawn
X-Men
X-Men 2
X-Men 3(Soon)
Daredevil with the major villian role of Kingpin being Michael Clark Duncan

Along with roles like that of Samuel L Jackson's in The Incredibles, as well as his upcoming role in Snakes On A Plane(In which he might as well be a mother****ing superhero).

Look at that. The earliest film on there is either Blankman or Spawn, and those both came out during or after 1996. And who knows if I'm forgetting any. Point is, that is quite a bit. Sure, there's been a few more superhero films with white people as the stars, but again I ask- SO WHAT. It's stupid to count such a thing, especially when the difference isn't even that great.

^Don't put Blankman and made up characters for cartoons in the same category as classic Marvel and DC characters. Ever. And Blade is one guy with three movies. That makes no sense whatsoever. Spawn, Blade and Steel are the only true ones on that list. That's still barely any.

...Why not?

That's a respectable list.

Not including team films with black cast members is pretty stupid if you ask me(or if you aren't going to count them, you shouldn't count them for white cast members either). In fact, speaking of stupid topics, is this entire thing.

Going blow for blow yes there are more superhero films with whites, but thats as someone pointed out because of the source material, much of which was created in the 40s, 50s, and 60s, when people were still being *****ebags(moreso than today).

Looking at things that way, it certainly makes sense for creator owned superheros to emerge(like Blankman, Sky High, etc..)- they can be any ethnicity or origin that whoever wants, and there won't be legions of pissed fans because of it.

Personally, I think it's dumb to NOT count all three Blade movies, as it's shown just how successful Blade as a charecter was. You can bet your ass we aren't going to get two more Elektra movies.

And we know we have the Blank Panther movie coming up, along with the Martin Lawrence one mentioned. Also, Power Man.

The one I really want to see is Prowler, he's one of my favourite charecters in comics. But, I'm not holding out too much hope. I also want to see something on Ben Reilly and the Clone Saga, but I'm sure it's just the color of his suit that's holding him back, or some other half winded argument.

Sky Rocket, is also a black super hero guys.

Um... no... it's not a respectable list... we don't count ALL movies that have a black member as supporting cast member, that would include nearly ALL movies. You wouldn't be silly enough to come out and say that X-Men is a "black superhero movie" so there's no need to insinuate it in a sideways way. The X-Men franchise does not center on Storm. Period. Daredevil featured no black superheroes. Period.

Speaking of insinuations, you are also, whether you know it or not, insinuating that there can never be any iconic black Superheroes, just so ya know.

And once more thing: while Black Panther and Power Man movies are certainly in the works, there's no reason to think they're certain, or not to factor in the two dozen movies that center on white superheroes also in development hades for comparison.

That said, once again, a John Stewart movie is looong overdue, and would absolutely own.

deemar325 said:
Man you guys need to chill.

:eek:

Maybe you need to chill on telling us to chill...

:bomb: Booyah. :D

(Do smileys make you feel more comfortable?)

GL1 said:
Understandable... glad you have that opinion. And true, Kyle does have some rarely mentioned, rarely-drawn ethnicity, that I have forgotten about... does Kyle, as a character, have any connection with any Latino culture? I mean, he is biologically not white, I see, but does he have any appreciation for things from his Latino background, or is it just 'oh... I'm not white' and he goes on with his life unchanged?

Um Latino is a culture and not a race. Their are black and white latinos. Kyle is part Latino culture, but he's still white.

I think unless part of your bi-racial background is black, people will just go ahead and call you white if that is one half of your background. There are a lot of latino/white and asian/white people walking around that you couldn't tell, but a black/white person is known right off the bat.

^Yup. It's the "one-drop" rule. A drop of black blood "taints" you.

terry78 said:
I think unless part of your bi-racial background is black, people will just go ahead and call you white if that is one half of your background. There are a lot of latino/white and asian/white people walking around that you couldn't tell, but a black/white person is known right off the bat.

Not true. I found out about a year ago that Vin Diesel was half black, he looks entirely white.

Mr. Socko said:
Not true. I found out about a year ago that Vin Diesel was half black, he looks entirely white.
Not really, he looked more Cuban. You can tell the dude is not 100% Anglo.

But back to the topic

I'm still waiting on new mexican and black superhero movies

Give me:

Green Lantern: John Stewart, I'd like a trilogy, please...
Black Panter (a more spaced out trilogy, which should include Storm)
Static (more like the comic than cartoon)
Age of Apocalypse (starring Bishop, a Incredibles-style CGI movie)
Sky High 2 (starring a black kid as a freshman with no powers that ends up Batmanning the whole school)
Robin Begins (I would make the Graysons black, but I can think of about 25,000 people who would want to kill me for it...)
The Ultimates (live action blockbuster... Nick Fury as a main character)
Icon and Rocket (a cartoon series taking up where Static left off... great stories, urban tint and a lot of high powered high flying action... costume redesigns all around though...)
Horus (a movie about an egyptian demigod, either Khensou or Horus, lots of action, mayhem and a great epic storyline... and for the confused, ancient egyptians were big nosed, big lipped black people, from the pharoahs to the peasants to the deities.)
Matrix: Rebirth ( a prequel movie about Morpheus and how he started, lost Niobe, got Trinity, came to beleive in the One and his first victory against Agent Smith.

hmm... there aren't that many black Superheroes... I could make a laundry list of white superhero movies that need to get made...

GL1 said:
:eek:

Maybe you need to chill on telling us to chill...

:bomb: Booyah. :D

(Do smileys make you feel more comfortable?)

Yes they do.

:) ahh..

Kind of relevant to this thread.

From AICN:

Casting already underway with Favreau's IRON MAN film? Juicy rumor here...

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with a nice, juicy casting rumor for you folks. A few days ago there was word that reached my ears about the role of Tony Stark in Jon Favreau's IRON MAN being offered to a very interesting actor. The word was that IRON MAN was being offered to HUSTLE & FLOW's Terrence Howard. That rumor was bizarre, yet somehow fitting. In the recent interview I did with Jon Favreau at Comic-Con, he told me that he was looking for a great actor that hadn't hit it huge yet, a name that wouldn't overshadow the title of the film. Howard fit that bill.

So, I checked in with sources deep within Paramount and Marvel to see if I could confirm this weird rumor. Besides having the perfect mustache for the role, I think a lot of fans wouldn't have been able to get around the racial difference, much like they didn't get behind Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin in DAREDEVIL.

I finally got one of my sources to tell me that Terrence Howard was indeed offered a role in IRON MAN, but not that of Tony Stark.

Going over my interview again, Favreau listed off a number of IRON MAN regulars who would appear in the film. The obvious conclusion I reached was that Terrence Howard was offered the role of James Rhodes, good friend to Tony Stark and future bearer of the armor and IRON MAN identity. He became known as War Machine after Stark reclaimed the name and suit.

So, that's the word. Terrence Howard has been offered the role of James Rhodes in the IRON MAN film. No guarantee he'll take it, but I think Howard is one of the most interesting actors working in the business today and his presence in the film will only make it better. Especially if we get to see Howard don a super suit in this film (or sequels) and kick some ass. What do you folks think?

thowardki9.jpg
Source: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=24037

The best bet is to go with the gallery of Milestone's characters. I love those books back in the early to mid 90s. Characters like Hardware, Icon, and Static could definitely work. But with Hardware and Icon you'll get comparisons to Iron Man and Superman. You could always go with the Blood Syndicate.

GL1 said:
Give me:

Green Lantern: John Stewart, I'd like a trilogy, please...

I'd like to see a GL trilogy with ALL the Lanterns! Would be awesome!!

GL1 said:
Black Panter (a more spaced out trilogy, which should include Storm)

"Spaced out"??

GL1 said:
Static (more like the comic than cartoon)

Don't know about the comic but I loved the cartoon! Bring it on!

GL1 said:
Age of Apocalypse (starring Bishop, a Incredibles-style CGI movie)

Could be cool!

GL1 said:
Sky High 2 (starring a black kid as a freshman with no powers that ends up Batmanning the whole school)

Oookayyy, I didn't think the first one was that great but maybe a change in the race of the lead character(s) could help(?)

GL1 said:
Robin Begins (I would make the Graysons black, but I can think of about 25,000 people who would want to kill me for it...)

I don't want to kill you, but just...why?

GL1 said:
The Ultimates (live action blockbuster... Nick Fury as a main character)

Sam Jackson would be cool! Would prefer a straight Avengers film which is what I think we're gonna get!

GL1 said:
Icon and Rocket (a cartoon series taking up where Static left off... great stories, urban tint and a lot of high powered high flying action... costume redesigns all around though...)

Were these guys from the Static show?

GL1 said:
Horus (a movie about an egyptian demigod, either Khensou or Horus, lots of action, mayhem and a great epic storyline... and for the confused, ancient egyptians were big nosed, big lipped black people, from the pharoahs to the peasants to the deities.)

I'm still confused...at what point did Egyptians become...not black? Where did you get this info?:confused:

GL1 said:
Matrix: Rebirth ( a prequel movie about Morpheus and how he started, lost Niobe, got Trinity, came to beleive in the One and his first victory against Agent Smith.

I think the Matrix gig is done. The first movie was awesome. I never saw the other 2 but didn't hear great things about them. Maybe as a straight to video done in the computer animation of the Animatrix (was that what it was called?)

I'm most looking forward to Luke Cage. I'm just torn if I want Singleton to do it or not.

Retroman said:
Kind of relevant to this thread.

From AICN:

Source: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=24037

There are way better black guys that could be James Rhodes. James Rhodes actor should be a more darker skin black guy like he was in the comics. Terrence Howard is to light to be James Rhodes. There is nothing wrong with having a dark skin BLACK superhero that does not kill like Blade.

Uncanny said:
There are way better black guys that could be James Rhodes. James Rhodes actor should be a more darker skin black guy like he was in the comics. Terrence Howard is to light to be James Rhodes. There is nothing wrong with having a dark skin BLACK superhero that does not kill like Blade.

Instead of shooting your mouth off like you know something, how about giving examples of better black actors. Howard is a black man through and through, his skin tone doesn't have to be darker. Howard is a good actor, has a good build and most importantly is a black man. If he should take on the role, its a performance I for one will be looking foward to.

GL1 said:

Hmmm .....

Actually this almost happened in Batman Returns as I believe one of the Wayans brothers was hired to play Dick.

Fortunately, Burton nixed this from the script.
Robin definately wasnt required for that movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"