Which was the better opening TDK or TDKR?

BH/HHH

You Are My World
Reaction score
The two prologue so for the 2nd and 3rd Nolan Batman films were similar in that both revealed the films villain, both villains were hidden from us until a reveal when a mask was pulled away and both were spectacular (despite my thoughts on Bane's voice). Now this isn't a discussion for eithe film just the opening sequences of each so:

The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises

Which film had the better opening?

ALSO DON'T FORGET TO VOTE IN THE POLL

Last edited:
Man, this is a tough one. Should have had "both" option!

I really loved the "Chris. Chris. Nolan! Nolan!" chant and the whole airplane thing is a darn thing of beauty, but so is the introduction of Joker, him stealing from the mob and having the clowns kill each other.

Clearly Dark Knight Rises. It's even the director's favorite all time scene.

Bank Robbery with a bus get away or that Plane Stealing Scene... no contest.

Man, this is a tough one. Should have had "both" option!

I really loved the "Chris. Chris. Nolan! Nolan!" chant and the whole airplane thing is a darn thing of beauty, but so is the introduction of Joker, him stealing from the mob and having the clowns kill each other.

Haha I purposely didn't do that cause I wanted people to make a choice on one :oldrazz:

I think both are great also but slight edge goes to the Joker one for me

TDK. I will never forget that Joker reveal.

The Bane plane sequence is very funny and awesome though, so it's pretty good on it's own right.

Both are glorious. I think the original version of the Tdkr opening is my favorite.

Both are glorious. I think the original version of the Tdkr opening is my favorite.

Original version? The version that was shown in IMAX with (can't remember which film now haha). I thought all that was different about that one was Bane's voice was harder to understand

Went with Rises, it's just so much more unique.

I voted the dark knight but that was en extremely hard decision. Both were epic openings. I hovered over both for a few mins lol

TDK, for me... while TDKR was more spectacular Bane's mumbling and the poorly acted CIA agent part undermined its impact IMO.

TDK is the epitome of perfectly timed transitions and tension "So why do they call him the Joker?"
It just grabs you from the first moment.

They're both great but I give the edge to TDK. But that's probably just because I like the Joker more than Bane.

TDK.

The awful ADR on the Rises prologue takes me out of that sequence.

Not to mention thr Joker reveal is a far more powerful moment than anything in Rises' prologue.

TDKR, I can watch that as a separate solo scene a bunch. I am actually OK with skipping TDK intro, don't get me wrong but I love TDKR.

TDKR. I think it set the tone quite well, plus I have a soft spot for Dalton's Bond. Plus I still quote Bane in that scene verbatim to this day.

TDK, for me... while TDKR was more spectacular Bane's mumbling and the poorly acted CIA agent part undermined its impact IMO.

TDK is the epitome of perfectly timed transitions and tension "So why do they call him the Joker?"
It just grabs you from the first moment.

how dare you

how dare you

Is that meant as sarcasm ?

Anyway, the CIA guy was terribly wooden - the clown bank robbers were more interesting, and we never saw their faces.

This exchange should have been incredibly bad-ass:

CIA agent: “If I pull that [mask] off, will you die?”
Bane: “It would be extremely painful…”
CIA agent: “You’re a big guy.”
Bane: “…for you.”

But just came off as awkward. In fact all the Agent's lines look pretty decent on paper ( they should, Nolan wrote them, and he's a freaking genius).

Whereas this....

Grumpy: Obviously, we don’t want you doing anything with your hands other than holdin’ on for dear life!

Comes off beautifully.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. In fact I'd say the mishandled dialogue in the opening weakened what was otherwise a spectacular prologue.

I have to agree that scene with the "for you" moment was awkward. The "for you" bit gets lost on a lot of people aseell because the adr is awful. Still it doesn't deter from what's a great scene.

Last edited:
I don't think it is close. TDK opening is pretty perfect imo. The Joker mythology, the clash between the different types of criminals, the music, the comedy, and the big moments. It is a perfect example of who the Joker is.

I really like TDKR opening, but they kind of ruined when they messed with Bane's voice.

yeah. A lot of people take exception to the hokey dialogue in the TDK prologue. But I thought it fit the darkly humorous tone of it, with everybody being killed off by the other. TDKR also has the silly dialogue but not the tonal harmony. It tries to have serious, no-nonsense dialogue, but is undercut by awkward lines (the delivery does not help). Which makes the sequence feel clunky in comparison.

Really hard question.

The TDK scene is better for most of it compared to the TDKR one, but the former ends in a face palm moment to me when a school bus full of dust and debris is completely ignored by the cops approaching the bank (the utterly idiotic police department is a recurring theme in the movie though). Should be highly suspicious even without the school bus sized hole in the bank, and you could almost catch up to it by walking.

The TDKR scene doesn't hit the same highs, but since it has no real low note, despite depicting something much more extreme in nature, I have to vote for that.

ADR didn't bother me in TDKR, at least it wasn't like in Batman "Don't be writing this **** in the paper Knox." Even as 5 year old kid I caught they f'ed that one up.

The dialogue is fine to me and love Bane and his voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"