Who are the real villains of the series?

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
Looking back at the bad guys, few of them are real villains, most of them are good men who do wrong. Doctor Octavius is possessed by evil tentacles and eventually sees the light and sacrifices himself. The Sandman is just trying to save his daughter and makes peace with Spidey. That really just leaves Norman Osborn, and Brock.

One of the things I really liked about Spidey 3 is that Peter does decisively defeat Venom. Doc Ock sacrificed himself, the Goblin killed himself, the Sandman just stopped....I'm all for sympathetic villains, but it weakens the hero if he does not complete his goal, which is to defeat the bad guy.

Looking back at the bad guys, few of them are real villains, most of them are good men who do wrong. Doctor Octavius is possessed by evil tentacles and eventually sees the light and sacrifices himself. The Sandman is just trying to save his daughter and makes peace with Spidey. That really just leaves Norman Osborn, and Brock.

One of the things I really liked about Spidey 3 is that Peter does decisively defeat Venom. Doc Ock sacrificed himself, the Goblin killed himself, the Sandman just stopped....I'm all for sympathetic villains, but it weakens the hero if he does not complete his goal, which is to defeat the bad guy.

his intention was to still kill spidey, not kill himself. it just happened to end up that way.

I don't think Norman was a "true" villain at all. He was a decent man. He didn't have much of a relationship with his son, but he tried. And he loved Peter. It was the serum that turned him into a madman.

The one who showed the most natural capacity for evil was Eddie. And even he is more of a pathetic, bitter figure than a pure evil monster.

I definately agree that none of them were outright evil, but thats the case in most CB movies these days unfortunately. Lex Luthor has been to only real evil villain in a CB movie since 1998, which is why i find him refreshing in SR.

Venom.
He got the symbiote & just started being bad. Strange he's the only non-sympathetic villian, since he's an anti-hero in the comics.

Well it's about time we got a non sympathetic villain, like with Venom. Hopefully in SM4 we get Electro and the Lizard, the Lizard can be a sympathetic villain seeing as it's Doc Connors, but I want Electro to be a complete jerk...should he be in SM-4, or heck, even Kraven.

I definately agree that none of them were outright evil, but thats the case in most CB movies these days unfortunately. Lex Luthor has been to only real evil villain in a CB movie since 1998, which is why i find him refreshing in SR.

There are definitely more than that. Scarecrow (moreso than Ra's, who has always had "good" intentions), Kingpin & Bullseye, Blackheart & Mephisto, Doom.

There are definitely more than that. Scarecrow (moreso than Ra's, who has always had "good" intentions), Kingpin & Bullseye, Blackheart & Mephisto, Doom.

I wouldnt say Doom or Scarecrow were outright evil, both were good guys before they went all Supervillain. The others i will give you though.

I wouldnt say Doom or Scarecrow were outright evil, both were good guys before they went all Supervillain.

No they weren't. Doom may not have been outright evil, but he certainly wasn't a good man. He was power hungry, self obsessed and egotistical. His accident didn't cause brain damage or anything, it just messed up his neat little life, and that was enough to make him snap. He starts killing almost immediately.

As for Scarecrow, never assume anything. Don't bring in the comics origin; we can't say that the Crane from Begins necessarily had the bad childhood he did in the comics, cause we simply aren't told. What we see of him is pretty purely evil. Our very first sight of him is working for the mob, getting vicious killers off the hook, and doing inhumane experiments on mental patients. He's sadistic and unremorseful from the get-go.

The Symbiote.... it was introduced from the beginning, to have sinister intentions.

Well it's about time we got a non sympathetic villain, like with Venom. Hopefully in SM4 we get Electro and the Lizard, the Lizard can be a sympathetic villain seeing as it's Doc Connors, but I want Electro to be a complete jerk...should he be in SM-4, or heck, even Kraven.

Electro would be sympathetic as well.

Venom/Symbiote, it wanted it's host to do bad things and it feeds off of it. It also consume's the host.

Well, to me, the #1 villain of the trilogy is Norman Osborn/The Green Goblin. He wasn't a good person from the very start of the film, and I don't think he was sympathetic or redeemable at all.

Even Venom is more redeemable than Green Goblin. That's what I think.

Venom.
He got the symbiote & just started being bad. Strange he's the only non-sympathetic villian, since he's an anti-hero in the comics.

First post!!!!

But, I was wondering, since Venom is just the combination of the symbiote and Eddie Brock...wouldn't the symbiote just be the evil villain? Because what Eddie went though, I don't know about anyone else, but I felt sorry for the guy.

And, to me; I would think Norma Osborn was pretty downright evil...he didn't have to kill the board members, but he did, because he thought he became some kind of God because of his newly-found strength, speed, etc. from the green stuff(serum/gas).

Venom is the true evil villain in the series. He wasn't likable as regular Eddie Brock, or as Venom. Norman was a little sympathetic because you could say up until the end that he was being controlled by the green goblin side.

Well, to me, the #1 villain of the trilogy is Norman Osborn/The Green Goblin. He wasn't a good person from the very start of the film, and I don't think he was sympathetic or redeemable at all.

Even Venom is more redeemable than Green Goblin. That's what I think.

GG is one of my favorite... with that said, the question was, was anyone a real villain... basically, absent of being sympathetic. GG & Venom could possibly fit that catagory; however, I just think both Norman and Eddie became a product of circumstance.

Norman simply became desperate. He's simply portrayed in the film as an ambitious CEO/Engineer, trying to insure military contracts, at a time when his chief rival was successfully snaring those contracts out from underneath OsCorps feet. The rest is history... he tested the formula on himself, loss his sense of reality, and done many sinister things. That's no difference from the tentacles taking over Doc Ock's mind.... in this case, it was the formula, and GG appear to be less redeemable than Doc Ock.

Eddie was just as ambitious; but also, a complete arse-hole. He was not an evil person, until his feeble mind was controled by the Symbiote... which imo, the Symbiote is the only one that should be considered, a pure villain.

Am I the only one shocked that this thread has gotten to 20 replies and not one of them has been "Avi Arad"? :wow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"