Sequels Who are we blaming for the Sprexit?

There's a reason why Disney went to Sony with the original deal 5 years ago... Because it works for them. Now it's time to renegotiate and they asked for 10 times more? I have the feeling they knew Sony would have said "no".
It just doesnt work for them when they can make a bad Spiderman movie and still make 700 millions in the box office instead of making a billion with Disney and giving them half (meaning they only earn 500 millions for those bada at math :p). Which studio in their right mind would agree to those terms? Pls tell me.

I'm not bad at math, but I can tell you straight away that 500 million is more than 700 million and much more than over a billion. :o

Disney.

Their greed knows no bounds and the overall handing of Spider-Man on the big screen and on the small screen (animation, primarily) is terrible.

Sony have a very iffy track record, giving us three of the best Spidey movies (1, 2 & ITSV) and two of the worst (3 & TASM2).

However, they clearly get Spidey a lot better than Disney. Insomniac's game and the short-lived Spectacular Spider-Man are absolute proof of this.

If you believe the Variety article from last week , then Dark Phoenix bombing is kinda to blame for the whole Disney and Sony drama.

Disney

So much money they've got it coming out of their ears, even with the low percentage they get for Spider-Man films, they still get a well compensated considering Sony finance the films & therefore have all the risk. They act like they're all about the fans & what the fans want, continuing to make Spider-Man films & having him in the MCU despite not taking the lions share of the profits would have been a way to prove that.

I also can't help but think that Disney leaked the news of this stuff to try & get fans worked up into a frenzy, cursing Sony out to try & pressure them into a deal.

If you believe the Variety article from last week , then Dark Phoenix bombing is kinda to blame for the whole Disney and Sony drama.
I don't believe that at all, also it's hilarious because Dark Phoenix never would've been made if X3 wasn't butchered to hell and back.....by tom rothman

I don't believe that at all, also it's hilarious because Dark Phoenix never would've been made if X3 wasn't butchered to hell and back.....by tom rothman

I believe the Variety article and the deadline articles since they all basically say the same thing when it comes down to it.

A) Disney wanted as much as 50 in co -finacing, which in the film industry is controlling interest in the Spiderman character from Sony. Whether they started with 25% or not ,they ended with 50%.
B) Rothman and Sony felt they didn't have to take the deal and that they can succeed without Marvel.

The dispute is whether or not Sony counter offered 30/70 a split and whether Disney wanted control of the spin off films . It sounds like Sony's sources say yes and Disney sources say no.

From the info I have now, I suspect this is an instance in which both Alan Horn at Disney and Tim Rothman at Sony both felt that having Spiderman in the MCU wasn't essential. The landscape post Fox merger, Endgame, SMITSV , Venom, and SMFFH, was different than in 2014 when the deal was made.

Disney wanted Feige to focus more on the characters they acquired from Fox , and it would only be worth their while to keep the Spiderman deal if they have a stronger financial controlling interest in the films, or in other words basically owned the film rights.

Rothman felt that Disney shouldn't get anymore of the pie, and ultimately felt they could go it alone now wtih Venom and SMITSV.

Feige, unfortunately, was at the mercy of clashing ego's at Sony and Disney and any long term plans with the character would ultimately be secondary to whatever larger plans Dinsey and Sony had.

All these people saying that Disney should just release Dark Phoenix to at least make back some of the budget didn't realise what it would cost to release it. Not only did the film bomb and probably damage X-Men's reputation, but Spider-Man may have ended up a casualty of it as well. A Pyrrhic victory, if you can even call it a victory. What did Dark Phoenix really even gain?

I'm not sure what Dark Phoenix bombing has anything to do with Spider-Man.

I'm not sure what Dark Phoenix bombing has anything to do with Spider-Man.
Some are claiming that Disney execs didn't like seeing that bombing so shortly after their takeover of Fox so wanted Feige to concentrate more on that than Spider-Man, which they barely received any box office from and may be why they played such hardball with Sony.

Sony’s comments about the door is closed “for now” and “life is long” is just them trying to instill false hope so as to not completely alienate the MCU fan base.

Sony still wants the millions of MCU fans to go and checkout Venom 2 because those fans are hoping that Spidey will come back.

Similar to how they played the 1st Venom movie being in a gray area with Amy Pascal inferring he may be part of the MCU despite Kevin Feige’s chagrin.

Some are claiming that Disney execs didn't like seeing that bombing so shortly after their takeover of Fox so wanted Feige to concentrate more on that than Spider-Man, which they barely received any box office from and may be why they played such hardball with Sony.

That makes no sense and I don't buy that at all.

Very interesting. Sounds like Kevin Feige is also the victim, aside from the fans of course.

Disney.

Their greed knows no bounds and the overall handing of Spider-Man on the big screen and on the small screen (animation, primarily) is terrible.

Sony have a very iffy track record, giving us three of the best Spidey movies (1, 2 & ITSV) and two of the worst (3 & TASM2).

However, they clearly get Spidey a lot better than Disney. Insomniac's game and the short-lived Spectacular Spider-Man are absolute proof of this.

They don’t get spidey in the slightest. The game and cartoon division is different from the movie studio lol

Even though, i'm pretty disappointed about how things have gone, in the end it is kinda keeping with Spiderman's troubled cinematic history anyway.

It took 20 years for the character just to make it to the big screen to begin with .It was tied up in the courts with different rights belonging to different people going back to the 1980s. Then Sony finally got the rights, and they've taken the character to its highest highs and its lowest lows.

It had a brief and shining moment in 5 MCU connected films but is pulled out due to both studios changing priorities.

Its kinda the character's cinematic arc I guess .Just when it seems he's out of the frying pan , it ends up right back into the fire.

Yeah this is totally fake.

#SaveTomHollandFromTomRothman

Thanks for that. That seems to make sense.

With all due respect to stillanerd, who I've always enjoyed your posts, I am firmly on the side of Marvel Studios (NOTE: I'm not siding with Disney over Sony, I'm siding with Marvel). I've enjoyed Marvel's take on Spider-Man/Peter Parker. Tom Holland is easily my favorite live action version of the character.

I have zero faith in Sony at this point. Yes, they gave us Raimi's Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 (like fifteen years ago) and Spectacular Spider-Man (which I think Sony's film division had nothing to do with), but Sony's meddling gave us Spider-Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man, and Spider-Man 2 which were horrible (in my opinion) (Into the Spider-Verse was good, but, I think, highly overrated). They look like they have learned nothing by evidence of rushing to get a Venom movie out, instead of setting the character up properly and going back to their big shared universe we made fun of before the Marvel/Disney deal. Avi Arad and Tom Rothman being in full charge of Spider-Man should be concerning for fans.

I know I will not go see Morbius or Venom 2, even if they cram Tom Holland's Spider-Man in them. As for Spider-Man: Home Alone (or whatever they call the third solo Holland film), I don't know. My only hope is Feige and Marvel, are playing the long game and that Feige had already talked to Jon Watts and the writers on the direction of the third film, so they can finish up the high school trilogy properly and then hopefully, down the road get back into the MCU.

The other bad part of this is we won't get to see Tom Holland interact with the Fantastic Four, who are finally back in the MCU, and we won't get Norman Osborn and the Dark Avengers/Dark Reign storyline that we've been hearing rumors about.

#SaveSpiderMan

Haha, Sprexit, you're killing me mate, that's brilliant :applaudIdk man, it's all petty boardroom squabbles at the end of the day. It's pretty sad though that within a year of Stan Lee passing away the character that arguably put him on the map is in such a shambles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"