Whose costume is better? - Part 1

I think overall the Tobey Maguire costume is better, but because it is perfect. However, it is also "too perfect." The Andrew Garfield one feels more gritty and realistic. I can imagine a teenager making that costume.

I love both costumes for the movies they are in; both are great.

Bright red and blue certainly isn't gritty or realistic. The Webb costume looks like it was designed by the same folks who gave us Halle Berry's Catwoman suit. The tacky sneakers and striping. The webshooter that looks like a toy watch from a cereal box. The yellow lenses.

And I completely disagree with this argument that the suit looks like something a teenager would design. A teen might go with something closer to the black & red Ultimate design (Which is really just a rip of Alex Ross' movie suit design) but they sure as hell wouldn't go for bright blue. Wanting to appear more adult, scary and spidery they'd likely go for darker colors.

But regardless, there was no reason for a redesign. The Spidey suit is a classic- everybody knows it. They should've been focusing on giving a great story and nothing more, which I have yet to see from this movie.

Bright red and blue certainly isn't gritty or realistic. The Webb costume looks like it was designed by the same folks who gave us Halle Berry's Catwoman suit. The tacky sneakers and striping. The webshooter that looks like a toy watch from a cereal box. The yellow lenses.

And I completely disagree with this argument that the suit looks like something a teenager would design. A teen might go with something closer to the black & red Ultimate design (Which is really just a rip of Alex Ross' movie suit design) but they sure as hell wouldn't go for bright blue. Wanting to appear more adult, scary and spidery they'd likely go for darker colors.

But regardless, there was no reason for a redesign. The Spidey suit is a classic- everybody knows it. They should've been focusing on giving a great story and nothing more, which I have yet to see from this movie.

This.

I wonder if people will STILL complain about the design even after the film is released...

I wonder if people will STILL complain about the design even after the film is released...

new to message boards i see....people are still complaining about organic web shooters

Considering that if you look at the Amazing Spidey forum- supporters of the film take every chance they get to dig into the Raimi films and Tobey Maguire, I find it funny that you'd ask such a question.

Considering that if you look at the Amazing Spidey forum- supporters of the film take every chance they get to dig into the Raimi films and Tobey Maguire, I find it funny that you'd ask such a question.

Yah...not every supporter of TAS-M. Some of them have enough common sense to not try to make fun of what Raimi did. Others, yah, they try to make fun of Raimi's trilogy every step of the way, but those would be your typical bandwagon fans as well.

I am a supporter of TASM and I certainly do not bash Raimi. He should be applauded for his work on Spider-man 1 and 2. Of course every movie has its flaws but overall SM1 and 2 are great movies and without much to go on other than animated shows and the comics, Raimi was the first to bring Spidey to a live action movie and he did so in remarkable fashion. SM3? Well that's a different story. I've never really liked that movie but it has nothing to do with my support of TASM.

Anyone who outright bashes Raimi just because TASM is the newest thing to come along is just plain ignorant or stupid, or both. It's funny how things work like that but in another 10 years or so when the next director to take on Batman comes along, people will be bashing TDK saying it wasn't gritty enough or whatever.

I am a supporter of TASM and I certainly do not bash Raimi. He should be applauded for his work on Spider-man 1 and 2. Of course every movie has its flaws but overall SM1 and 2 are great movies and without much to go on other than animated shows and the comics, Raimi was the first to bring Spidey to a live action movie and he did so in remarkable fashion. SM3? Well that's a different story. I've never really liked that movie but it has nothing to do with my support of TASM.

Anyone who outright bashes Raimi just because TASM is the newest thing to come along is just plain ignorant or stupid, or both. It's funny how things work like that but in another 10 years or so when the next director to take on Batman comes along, people will be bashing TDK saying it wasn't gritty enough or whatever.

But that's the attitude of most folks on these boards.

It can't be that Raimi made good films and that Webb is just giving a different (Not necessarily better, but different) take. Garfield isn't giving his own interpretation of Peter (Again, not necessarily better than Maguire).

Everything in this reboot simply by being different has to be considered better.

And it isn't even honest- for example, one of the biggest gripes you heard from Raimi-haters was Spidey being unmasked. But even though Webb is doubling or tripling the unmasking- it's okay. In just the trailer he's unmasked half the time. And then we had that preview where he unmasks for the most frivolous of reasons- whereas in Raimi's films he actually did unmask for good reasons.

All three Raimi films certainly had flaws. But personally I call 'em as I see 'em.
I don't dislike the Webb suit because it's in a reboot. I just think it looks bad.
In fact it has similarities to a suit that Raimi was considering for Spidey 1. And if Raimi had used that design, I 'd say Raimi made a mistake.

I think, fairly or not, Raimi fans feel a lot of negativity toward the reboot not because of the reboot itself, but because of how it came about. We were very close to having a SM4, and for me personally it was a crushing diappointment to watch that unravel. The whole situation left a bad taste in my mouth.

I wonder how the reboot will play, and how successful it will be. The most frustrating thing about SM4's implosion was how it looked like Sony were interfering again. It calls into question how Webb will deal with the studio if a more established, proven Spider-Man director walked away.

First, i just wanted to say im so happy i finally joined this forum. none of my friends ever want to talk about this stuff, so finally i have a place to express my opinions on these subjects! Anyway, on this issue...

there are a lot if things about both suits i like better than the other. i was exposed to the raimi movies before the comics, so i was used to seeing raised silver webbing, which i thought looked awesome. I think the webbing on the new suit is much better. i like that it looks like it is dug into the suit rather than put on top of it, even though i never liked black at all on spidey. i still think that raimi made the right choice to use silver webbing IF he was going with the raised webbing. I honestly would like to see the webbing on TASM suit be blue. Its very subtle and i think it would look great.

One of the things i cant stand is the webbing pattern on TASM suit. the raimi suit had a very clear web pattern. this new suit has a web patter that just makes no sense. by his stomach it just turns into some wierd line pattern. I hate how it is half on the shoes, and half on the gloves. The webbing on the mask looks great.

I liked raimi's eyes better. I honestly dont like the thick black outline around spidey's eyes in the comic, i dont like them yellow like webb has done. i think tobeys suit had perfect eyes.

webb by FAR has better materials, and colors. the red and blue is so bold, and much better looking then raimi's dull blue.

i hated how the spider symbol on tobeys suit just looked plopped on top of the webbing. to me, having the symbol not integrate with the webbing just looks weird. It always seems like the webbing and the symbol are competing with each other on top of the red. I also like how TASM has the same logo on the front and back.

I loved how the raimi suit had a LOT of red on the front and arms. Thats just my preference that i like most of spideys front half to be red. I actually would love if the red didnt shrink as it went down, if it was just a red front, with blue sides. i HATE how the webb suit has blue arms with a red stripe as opposed to red arms with a blue under (that made no sense)

i cant stand the "cut" (if that makes sense) of the new suit. i think they tried to make it look messier and less clean cut like the raimi suit, so that it was acutally believable that peter made it, but it just came out looking more complex and intricate. i dont mind the blue on the gloves, or the leg stripes (as much) but i cant stand the lack of a belt, the boots having half webbing, the lack of red on the arms and torso.

the webb materials, colors, webbing type (not design) and logo on the raimi suit outline with the raimi eyes would be ideal for me. my ideal suit would also have red on the back, so that the blue was just on sides, and under half of the arms. I would also love if the belt was just straight, and didnt point down (reminds me of superman underwear)

^^
well i think that was a pretty good first post!

I think, fairly or not, Raimi fans feel a lot of negativity toward the reboot not because of the reboot itself, but because of how it came about. We were very close to having a SM4, and for me personally it was a crushing diappointment to watch that unravel. The whole situation left a bad taste in my mouth.

I wonder how the reboot will play, and how successful it will be. The most frustrating thing about SM4's implosion was how it looked like Sony were interfering again. It calls into question how Webb will deal with the studio if a more established, proven Spider-Man director walked away.

Most of the negativity I have towards the reboot is not caused by the reboot but by the fans of the reboot. They dig at the Raimi series every chance they get as if it never produced a good film.

Sorry, but that's really silly.

I don't hate the Raimi movies because of Raimi-fans who are unwilling to accept this reboot because it doesn't feature Maguire and co. lol

The dig is usually towards Spider-Man 3 which is VERY understandable.

spauldingman.jpg
alien00.jpg

I'm still not crazy about the suit in TASM. Raimi's suit was clearly better. They made Spider-Man's classic costume not look silly, which is an accomplishment. But, they went further by making it look GREAT in the movie. That is an accomplishment, and I applaud Raimi for doing what the X-Men films didn't do: allow Spider-Man to look like a superhero. Now, Webb is trying to maintain Spidey's garishness as well, and I appreciate it. But, I think it doesn't work in certain respects.

saw the movie...it was alright...still don't like the suit

Raimi's suit design is vastly superior.

Everyhting else belongs to the reboot.

and by **** you mean best translation of a comic book costume in a film

spidermantobeyvsandrew.jpg

I think I love both of them equally now, or maybe lean a bit more toward the reboot costume

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"