Why a justice league film could work and be a good idea

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
Believe or not, but its true; while many are screaming that a film about the JLA may not work at this time and demanding that a film like that should be shelved (a second time, after Justice League: Mortal, which I'm glad it died), what people don't realize is that a JLA film, even one to be released in 2013 after the launching of Green Lantern, the ending of Batman (Nolan's), and the return of Superman, can still work. But, it can only work if done right withe the right approach and direction.

But let me tell all you hardcore fans this: alot of you want DC to take Marvel's way and connect the films, canon or not, to order to lead up to a JLA film. That's a BAD idea. Why? Because what Marvel is doing is MARVEL's own unique idea, and I don't want DC to copy them. What I want DC to do, and you guys should realize this, is for DC to come up with THEIR OWN UNIQUE IDEA to lead into, or have, a JLA film. That's a better idea to do that than to copy/steal someone else's.

Anyway, another thing is that DC/WB (let's say DCE, and leave it there) have pretty much stated that all the films are stand-alone, and that would have to include JLA. So regardless, we have to live with this. So the truth is; even if JLA didn't happen now but later on, it would still be stand alone and a reinventing of all the DC characters that have either already debuted or not. But what they can do, is do something "else" that is not only a cool and unique, but can be something that if you wanted, like hell on earth wanted, a comparsion between JLA and Avengers, it would be one had to or mainly had it their way, and the other did it a complete other way in the showcasing of their universe and characters.

I always wanted to come up with a way to make a JLA film, and came up with a few of my own ideas. After the recent news, I took two of my ideas that would support DCE's JLA 2013 idea, and because I'm never going to be the guy for JLA (now or never-ever), I'll list them here. NOTE: The "titles" are actually "pitch titles" or "direction titles", not really titles for the films themselves.

THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD

I have this really cool idea, and still think they SHOULD do this, where it was a JLA film, that could more DC Universe, and what you would expect if you thought Brave and the Bold. It would be like Sin City and Pulp Fiction: a nonlinear storyline of multiple story segments, ending with the finale segment that brings everything together. What I had in mind was that it would start with Superman/Batman, then Wonder Woman/Aquaman, followed by Flash/Green Lantern; their segments would all with with a "call", leading to the final segment with the group together thanks to Martian Manhunter (who sent the call) to fight the big baddie, and the JLA is formed at the end. Sequels that I saw wouldn't be on just Justice League, but the DC Universe as a whole too. There are alot of ideas anyone could come with as follow ups to this.​

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED

If there is one thing that JLA can do that Avengers can't do its that this Marvel Universe is limited; yeah there's Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, and Thor that come together for the Avengers; but that universe cannot have Spidey, X-Men, Fantastic Four, nor Daredevil or anyone else that isn't under their banner because they don't have those parts of the rights. Different for JLA (obviously) because its one company, and thus unlike the limited Marvel Universe on film, we can have an unlimited DC Universe on film. For this basis of the plot and direction, I thought about Justice League Unlimited; something that I wish DC would take the approach with the JLA because, well, ANYONE in the DCU has or will be part of the JLA in life. Under this direction, I could see The Authority meets The Ultimates meets JLU; the grounding on the concept of a superheroic team, with our heroes wanting this to be an ultimate force of good while being tempted to get the job done by whatever means necessary; the government's POV of it combined with the various threats the planet has or will experience, and the pros and cons from both our heroes and us; the gods living among us, and how the people look up to them as they look down on us. And like the show and comics, we can have Cadmus/Checkmate in this. I see alot of things for this: a total DCU on film, maybe having the JSA; maybe having alot of superheroes that the JLA takes a JLU approach on looking after and recruiting, various other teams adapted or recreated for this universe; etc. And yes, this idea also works great as a sequel to my Brave and the Bold JLA film idea too.​

Of course, if you want to know what my other ideas were...

CRISIS
While "preaching" DC being unique and not copying Marvel; there was this one idea that did reunite the franchises but in its own way that didn't ruin the seperation from all of the films by their creators. Based on Crisis on Infinite Earths, with the Monitor vs. Anti-Monitor story; the heroes from five Earths are united together to fight the ultimate evil: Cavill's Superman, Bale's Batman, Reynolds' Green Lantern, as well as whoever plays their part in the film versions of Flash and Wonder Woman. In the end, their Earths form together (with or without their knowledge) and then after the Anti-Monitor is gone; the heroes return to see that they've arrived together instead of apart, learn about five Earths becoming one, and we can see from GL, Supes and WW (with Bats and Flash having to unmask) that they are new people (new actors to replace Cavill, Bale, etc for future films). It is also on this Earth that others heroes like Hawkman, Robin, Booster Gold, etc. exist, and the DC UNiverse is born with the five forming the JLA.

WORLD'S FINEST>TRINITY>ICONS
Another idea I had was treating a JLA/DCU on film as a franchise, but building on it so that a trilogy would end with JLA instead, and begin with the famous team-up (aka DC's Big Guns). That of course would be Superman/Batman: World's Finest. It would be followed by Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman: Trinity, and then finally, Justice League: Icons (name taken from the recent DC-related panel). As for vague ideas for a plot, or plots; I had nothing in mind except for the famous story for World's Finest: Joker and Lex Luthor team-up, leading Superman and Batman to team-up: BOOM! GO! That's it, and go from there on the rest.

There you go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"