Why I'm Happy to See Wolverine Die (as long as it's temporary)

I think the best way to deal with the overpowered healing abilities is to bring back the "suffocating brain" concept, where he will die if deprived of oxygen for to long.

Just realised the original post was also about Wolverine stealing the roles of other x-men.
To be honest, i really tried to like Cyclops because he is one of the original five and the leader of the x-men. But i just can´t stop feeling he´s lacking.
I would really like to see him grow as a character because all this mutant terrorist thing, i really think it´s not the best move.
Also, now that his powers were affected by the phoenix force, it would be nice to see him finally in control of his power. (he were for a time, but didn´t last.)

Remember when Wolverine had the fighting skill of a Samurai.

I wish Marvel did.

Seriously though, it's true, it has been years since they have shown that Wolverine is a great fighter. It's almost as if the writers have a contest going to see who can find the most ridiculous way to damage him.

To be fair, it´s not all that bad. Every now and then someone remembers he was actually a good fighter, like in "New avengers #21", when they have to fight that Thor clone or robot or whatever it was.
In that comic you can see Wolverine at his best. He didn´t defeat the guy himself, but he surelly made some serious damage and stood his ground.
I´m sorry if i keep posting on this thread but my friends never want to argue about this topic.
They usually say things like "What? you want him to have easy fights so he can show he is good? that would be boring" or "The healing factor is his power. complain about him getting hurt and regenerate on the same fight would be like saying Superman sucks because since he is bullet proof he doesn´t have to dodge while being shoot."

Sooo many points I agree with in this thread. I've been a huge Wolverine fan since I was a kid and it's frustrating to see how things have gone. I'd like him gone for a bit and him toned down in his return. Lower the healing factor back to what it used to be.

Also, like Batroc says when he fought him recently: "You were known as a great martial artist too once. What happened to that?"
By giving him an "immortality" power he just sits there and gets his a$$ get kicked by anyone.

Another point I agree with. He now just dives into stuff, gets hurt and heals. The last time I remember him actually using martial arts effectively was in Vol.3 (2003) he was investigating a girl who was kidnapped by a cult. Her father noticed the weird, short caveman had been snooping around, so he and his big trucker buddies got the idea to fight Logan. It was a great series of panels; he never popped his claws once, but he took them all down masterfully with various martial arts and takedowns, but didn't do more than incapacitate them until he could explain himself.

I also miss his smarts. He's no Reed Richards, but I like that he's tactically clever. One of my favorite moments was when he got married to Viper and an Adamantium-enhanced Sabretooth crashed the party and left him for dead. He used skill and misdirection to make it seem that several X-men, Cap and the Avengers, and the Hulk (savage and Joe Fixit) were tearing up Madripoor. He even lampshaded that because he and Beast had a similar haircut at the time, it made it all the easier.

It's just like Deadpool. They're both fantastic characters doomed by their popularity. With the increase in fame, more appearances call for more writers, many of whom don't have a good grasp of the character, but put forth things in motion that stick. Case in point, Deadpool's obsession with Chimichangas. He doesn't even like them. In Cable and Deadpool he mentally notes that he doesn't even like them, he just likes to say the word, but if you look in the Way run and the game's marketing, it's all included. Now that's a minor minoooor point that I don't really care about (the things are delicious), but a better point would be the 'Pool-vision, multiple voices, and character tone.

You get enough of that and the character you once loved isn't there anymore, but rather a pale shadow is everywhere getting worse with time.

Wolverine's healing factor has been a ridiculous point of regression to his character. He could get into situations that could and would kill most people, but then he would have to stay savvy in order to survive, not pop his claws, grunt, fart, and win automatically.

I'm just rambling at this point, but I want Wolverine to "take a break" so that his return is more than just tied to appearances in comics, but rather a return to form. I don't want him on multiple teams, and I like back when he was doing the honourable samurai thing and fighting against the beast within. He struggled with killing for a long while, and I liked that. I'm not saying he should never kill again, I'm just saying he should weigh it more than he does now. He's just given up and resigned himself to a killer.

Ohhh, these were the days

Wolverine+Vs+Shingen.jpg

Wolvie had to actually protect his throat, for fear of

UX177_MystiqueVsWolverine.jpg

I wish those days could come again.

T

^^THAT so much.

Claremont's Wolverine was my favorite incarnation. Yeah, he could handle a lot of damage, but he wasn't invincible. Shingin had a legitimate shot at taking him out because he was such a skilled martial artist. That was my biggest problem with The Wolverine. I wanted it to be more like the mini it was based on. Cut out the stupid Mech-samurai, and just have the final showdown be between him and Shingin.

When he woke up in new settled world, does he get his adamantium endoskeleton back?

I don't think he ever lost it.

1 of 2 things needs to happen when he does inevitably come back:

No adamantium skeleton or scaled down healing factor. Both make Wolverine way too OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"