Why Wii's success is a shot in the foot for the Big N

MaximumSpider

21st Son
Reaction score
I want to see if some of you agree that because the Wii is a success is actually a double edged sword for Nintendo. First Put Fanboyism aside for a minute because I love nintendo as much as u. I own a Wii and a 360. But here's how i look at it. Microsoft and Sony have for all intents and purposes Future proof consoles. With Hd Tv's becoming more and more affordable the hd boom is either already here or its right on the horizon. More people are going to be gaming in hd or viewing movies on hd. The 360 and ps3 even though they are behind the wii right now in sales will continue to pick up speed. (not to mention you cant find a wii right now). That being said the lifecycle of ps3 and 360 is at least 4 0r 5 years or longer. But the wii even though breaking new ground with control will start to look really dated in my opinion in 2 years. When nintendo realizes that hd is going to be more profitable they're going to want to come out with Wii 2 in hd or something. This causes 2 problems. Everybody who bought a wii is going to feel jipped because they released a succesor so soon. and two when this new console comes out it will drop Nintendo's install base back to 0. While ps3 and 360 still have thier originall install bases. I'm sure they'll be at least 7 million ps3's in homes by then and even more 360's in homes. If you were a developer who would you support more. What do you guys think.

Graphics don't win console wars, PS2 was the weakest system of the last generation, but it was the clear winner. All three companies will release their next system within two years of each, like every genreation before it. PS3 and 360 have 3-4 years left max, same with Wii. This isn't fanboyism this is looking at history. Great games with great gameplay is what wins the console war, that's why Playstation has won the last two generations and is losing now, because before they had the great games with great gameplay and they don't have that right now. Mario Galaxy looks just fine to me and plays beautifully, same thing was true for Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil, Batallion Wars.... Look at one of the hottest games out right now Guitar Hero, do graphics matter on that game? No, it could have 8 bit graphics, it's the gameplay people care about.

I think as long as Nintendo gets thier **** together and starts releasing more "full" games as opposed to mini games or even childish games for that matter the Wii can last as long as the 360 or PS3.

Now that they have finished their project of bringing something new to gaming(playing in a new way with the wiimote and nunchuk) it will be easier for them to keep the control style or even improve it for the next gen system as well as make the jump to HD.

The way I see it, Sony and Microsoft are behind. Nintendo has thier stamp on this design, and people as the sales show seem to really enjoy this new way of playing games. If they want to keep up in the next go-round their going to have to make up their own controls without coping Nintendo's.

Personally HD may look pretty but so far by sales, your average person(that makes up the majority in reference to gamers) wants something fun like using the Wii than another sequel that only has new and crisp graphics going for it which is all Sony or Xbox can provide. Don't get me wrong, I like all 3 companies, and once I get the money will buy the other two. I just feel with what Nintendo did with this system, it's the push to new gaming in the future.

Also, I don't think Nintendo is directly trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft - Aleast not in the same way as between MS and Sony. Because with the Wii Pricetag, the majority of PS3 and 360 owners are going to think, "You know, i should pick up a Wii too."

I think as long as Nintendo gets thier **** together and starts releasing more "full" games as opposed to mini games or even childish games for that matter the Wii can last as long as the 360 or PS3.
Games like Mario Party and Wii Sports only make up a very small portion of the Wii's library.

Games like Mario Party and Wii Sports only make up a very small portion of the Wii's library.

Yeah I guess I should have added quality games as well. The small party games are fun for awhile especially when you have a good group over. They need more I guess you could say "serious" games. The ones that I own aside from party games are Zelda, Metroid 3, RE:UC and Mario Galaxy. A lot of the other "serious" games they have weren't made with the fullest of quality, a number seem to be ports.

250$... i dont feel jipped at all...

if you want an HD/BLUR-ray player buy one seperatly...:o

I want to see if some of you agree that because the Wii is a success is actually a double edged sword for Nintendo. First Put Fanboyism aside for a minute because I love nintendo as much as u. I own a Wii and a 360. But here's how i look at it. Microsoft and Sony have for all intents and purposes Future proof consoles. With Hd Tv's becoming more and more affordable the hd boom is either already here or its right on the horizon. More people are going to be gaming in hd or viewing movies on hd. The 360 and ps3 even though they are behind the wii right now in sales will continue to pick up speed. (not to mention you cant find a wii right now). That being said the lifecycle of ps3 and 360 is at least 4 0r 5 years or longer. But the wii even though breaking new ground with control will start to look really dated in my opinion in 2 years. When nintendo realizes that hd is going to be more profitable they're going to want to come out with Wii 2 in hd or something. This causes 2 problems. Everybody who bought a wii is going to feel jipped because they released a succesor so soon. and two when this new console comes out it will drop Nintendo's install base back to 0. While ps3 and 360 still have thier originall install bases. I'm sure they'll be at least 7 million ps3's in homes by then and even more 360's in homes. If you were a developer who would you support more. What do you guys think.

erm... you do know the Wii has an HD component cable you can get right?:whatever:

Yeah I guess I should have added quality games as well. The small party games are fun for awhile especially when you have a good group over. They need more I guess you could say "serious" games. The ones that I own aside from party games are Zelda, Metroid 3, RE:UC and Mario Galaxy. A lot of the other "serious" games they have weren't made with the fullest of quality, a number seem to be ports.

You know it's only a year since it came out, right? The best games take a couple years after launch to come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"