• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Will audiences accept yellow as a weakness for the Lanterns?

I would do it subtly. Like they did it in the script. Don't say it outright. Just allude to it but go about it differently.

Who knows? The audience could just see the yellow light as just a weakness and not think of the yellow, they'll just think of it that nutrilizes them.

It was the right thing to do. Watson were you against it? If so, it makes logical sense.

No, not at all. But that debate was so heated back in the day. Can't start it again :hehe:.

You're asking if in a movie about a man who has a magic green ring that can create green objects...if the audience will buy that there is a yellow impurity/weakness to that power?

The script handled it just fine. I'm sure the movie will, as well. It's absurd, but so are a LOT of elements of the mythology.

Personally I was just worried that people can suspend disbelief over the yellow thing. As shown by some examples in this thread, sometimes they can't. But I have taken a look at the script now and it looks like they did an alright job.

You're asking if in a movie about a man who has a magic green ring that can create green objects...if the audience will buy that there is a yellow impurity/weakness to that power?

The script handled it just fine. I'm sure the movie will, as well. It's absurd, but so are a LOT of elements of the mythology.

Didn't they get rid of the idea that ring was magic a long time ago I thought it was built on some sci fi thing now about the guardians. Anyway people could buy it that somebody making things with their minds if they are powered by a green ring even the things he can make can't be way out there like a Giant robot, maybe even a huge fist might be a little too far just mho.

But powerless against a caution sign, he can't beat Homer Simpson is a epic failure.Most fan boys grew up reading comic books so if a hero is powerless against yellow you a kid could believe it but to ask an Adult who's never read a GL comic to believe that is absurd.I've read GL comics and I still wouldn't buy it in a film.

Didn't they get rid of the idea that ring was magic a long time ago I thought it was built on some sci fi thing now about the guardians.

It's a joke of sorts.

My point is...

We're afraid that audiences who we're already asking to buy the idea of a Power Ring won't buy into the yellow impurity?

Come on, people.

Green Lantern is an absurd concept. Its absurdities are half of what makes it so damn cool.

yellowstrip.jpg

Didn't they get rid of the idea that ring was magic a long time ago I thought it was built on some sci fi thing now about the guardians. Anyway people could buy it that somebody making things with their minds if they are powered by a green ring even the things he can make can't be way out there like a Giant robot, maybe even a huge fist might be a little too far just mho.

Alan Scott's ring was magic. (Now he's all magic) He's still around.

He's weak to wood if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
If the audience can accept that a man uses a physical manifestation of willpower to fight the evil of the universe. I think they can accept that the green lantern has a weakness to yellow if its actually explained.

I think that most of the general (non comic book reading public) still believe that the Green Lantern has a weakness to yellow. It's just like kryptonite to Superman and Catwoman to Batman.

well hopefully with all the rewrites it was kept in there and have a good logical reason.

Even if people can believe in the concept itself doesn't mean they can believe in the weakness of yellow. That's two different things. Who says they can believe in those two? This is the general audience. They don't think like that. They don't stop and think, "Hey if I can believe in so and so I can believe in the weakness of yellow!"

But the script explains it quite well. Isn't it called the impurity or something?

Maybe there are certain powers that others wield that HAPPEN to be yellow, so that effects it, but not just random yellow objects. And if they happen to infuse an object with their power, that could turn it yellow to showcase how it's been amplified to counteract the power rings.

The yellow light is the[BLACKOUT] impurity of fear from Legion. [/BLACKOUT]

So, just make a ring out of that, and bam, you get a ring of fear that came from it's source.

Maybe there are certain powers that others wield that HAPPEN to be yellow, so that effects it, but not just random yellow objects. And if they happen to infuse an object with their power, that could turn it yellow to showcase how it's been amplified to counteract the power rings.

Yeah. I think my previous post explains it a little.

A yellow crayon won't be enough to defeat the Corps!

While I'm not an avid GL comic reader, can someone please sum up the spectrum in terms of whats weak against what? I already know what emotion is linked to what color, but beyond that I know nothing.

The yellow weakness will be fine if it's explained correctly. It's not like kryptonite, where Green Lanterns become ill in the presence of something yellow. Their rings just dont work on yellow things. It's not really much of a weakness anyways, as it's pretty easy to work around.

"What, you're wearing yellow armor? I'll just pick up this car over here and throw it at you"

just get rid of the yellow weakness its not worth 2mins of explanation.Its not audience are too dumb to get it but it takes you out of the movie when the eventual "weakness to yellow wtf?"happens. :ss: and its not the same as kryptonite cause it emits radiation. Everyone knows radiation is bad and could kill you.There is no leap in faith when its radiation everybody understands the concept.

read my previous post (#37).

It's done subtle enought that the General Audience won't even notice it.

It's a joke of sorts.

My point is...

We're afraid that audiences who we're already asking to buy the idea of a Power Ring won't buy into the yellow impurity?

Come on, people.

Green Lantern is an absurd concept. Its absurdities are half of what makes it so damn cool.

No. Green Lantern is a far fetched concept. Yellow as a weakness is a silly concept.

There's a difference. One is "Oh, this is really hard to believe." and the other one is "Oh, this makes me want to laugh."

Like so.

I would like if they explain that the Guardians put the yellow weakness in the battery to avoid that the Lantern became too powerful, maybe as powerful as the Guardians themselves.

No. Green Lantern is a far fetched concept. Yellow as a weakness is a silly concept.

There's a difference. One is "Oh, this is really hard to believe." and the other one is "Oh, this makes me want to laugh."

Like so.

Exactly.

And I can see where people are coming form here.

The impurity is from Legion, it can be colored yellow, but if done correctly, they'll think of the impurity from Legion is the weakness and not the color yellow itself, so you can kind of disguise it there.

I'm a bit tired of people showing that picture. A Green Lantern needs to be resourceful, not just dumb enough to keep firing ineffectively at something that is yellow. There are ways around the weakness to yellow, and that's kind of the point. Green Lanterns have long had to learn to use their environment and their wits when confronted with this issue.

They're both degrees of absurd and silly, depending on the execution of the concept.

But Green Lantern is definitely an absurd concept by definition.

Based on what, exactly?

How does one believe that green light can be the most powerful weapon in the universe, but that issues with the yellow wavelength is impossibly silly?

And quite honestly, the idea being "out of left field" is pretty much half its charm. Hal's said more than once, some version of "Oh, COME ON!" when he finds out.

If broken down into the emotions I think it can be done. A GL's power is not just green light. It is willpower. Just keep equating green to will as they have done in the comics and then equate yellow to fear. Hell when a Lantern gets a ring one of the first things is says is that you have the ability to overcome fear.

^ That's a good way to do it I suppose. And I'm sure they won't do straight out yellow as weakness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"