Will People go to see Thor and Captain America?

See that's what I don't get... instead of studios filling up that 2010 spot they are all gearing up for 2011... you can't tell me the writers strike stalled all these projects over a year and a half. MOS should have been 09... 2010 should have been SM4 or FF3/SS at the very least

Studios just got lazy on these projects, and it hurt they're chances at the 2010 releasee date. In the case of MoS, I am not sure how geered up WB was for it in the first place.

I think Avengers should come before Cap and Thor, personally.

Once they get familiar with the characters in the Avenger movie, they'll be ready to see more in their solo films. This is accentuated by the fact that they won't be the same breed of film as the Avengers, either. A straight war flick, and a mytholigically based film are different enough that they might get new viewers to come check them out.

Alternatively, if people don't like the solo films (and they come first), they might be more reluctant to see them together in one movie.

That's a ridiculous idea...you need to establish the characters before you do the team movie.
Exactly, 'The Avengers' ain't no damn 'X-Men' film where pretty much all of the characters are mysterious, no. I honestly don't really care about a 'Thor' movie, I'm way more interested in seeing a 'Captain America' movie released in 2010 along with 'Iron Man II'. If not 2010, then early 2011, because I want a 'Captain America' movie, and it better be awesome. I'm not asking for 'The Dark Knight' awesome-ness, although that would be awesome. Instead, I want 'Iron Man' awesome-ness at the very least, anything lesser... cancel 'The Avengers', because without the Cap's awesome-ness, the film will be anything but awesome.

I think people are making too much of it... the Thor transition will fully fleshed out... he's not gonna just jump on the scene in Avengers. I am sure Marvel will come up with a bridge that facilitates the fantasy land to present day world transition of the character in a manner that is easily comprehensible to the general audience. Let's just see the freaking Thor movie before jumping to conclusions. As for Cap... the dude will get frozen... I don't think Marvel is thinking real too deep about all of this... it's a comic book movie after all. Just wait till you see Fin Fang Foom and Mandarin in IM2.

And back to the release dates... I think we have learned from experience that all June films pretty much do crappy at the box office. I mean even BB didn't do all that great even though it was one of the best films of the genre. That said... I don't think Marvel is always going to have first dibs on the first week of May. Eventual the pattern will cease. I don't think Marvel should push back everything so that both Cap and Thor are released on May 1st or whatever. I think the reason for fast tracking Avengers... is that Marvel knew the Hulk was not going to do that well. I think if Hulk was a huge hit Marvel would have pushed things back a bit. If Marvel had two dependable franchises they could afford to delay Avengers. Now I don't think that's an option since IM is their only dependable franchise hence they need Avengers to spring board these other characters. Marvel is thinking just like any other studio. They need to maximize profits hence the reason to fast track all these projects.

Captain America will definitely be seen a lot and very successful. Thor, I think, might be a little harder to sell. I think Thor will be one of those movies that isn't very successful in theatres, but is on dvd.

Captain America will be great if done with the who the charcter of Cap is...

This is pretty much a "nobody's ever heard of this guy" kind of character

Are you on crack? Dude, I have a tattoo of Cap on my arm and almost EVERYONE that sees it says "Oh, cool, Captain America!"

bwntasnq4.jpg

I think if done like a war movie like Saving Private and Full Metal Jacket it could be better than the THDK and could win an Oscar for best picture.

imo
people will see Captain America more than thor because he is more known too the public than thor is. plus its a super hero with our country's name as his.
also, imo, thor will be the hardest character out of the avengers too bring to the screen, just because of all the mythology, but idk, its not going too bomb either
if they do have thor in a cameo in ironman 2, i think that will get more people too see it imo.

Thor done right would have everybody wanting to see it!! The technology and special effects today would really make this movie special.

Captain America needs to be done like a serious war movie.

There's no doubt that people would go see them, word of mouth is the very best advertisement, and done right everyone would be talking about them. We already have proof, the Dark Knight!

Captain America is the character that extends FAR beyond the comic book/superhero fan base on par with Nolan's Batman IMO. Because it can be legit... Thor can be comparable to the LOTR fanbase except it won't match that because the character and material isn't nearly as respected or well known... but you get half the LOTR's fan base and 75% of the audience who are willing to give those fantasy films a shot... and of course you have the comic/superhero fan base... and you are set with two films that are primed to be potential hits at the BO.

Cap is an easy one, everyone I know will go see it, but Thor could be tricky. As much as I love the character I can easy see it not doing very well, as I think it could be really easy to mess up.

I think once your friends see the trailers, they'll change their minds.

I'm slightly worried about Thor, but Cap I'm sure will be big; it's going to be the first movie out in the summer of 2011. First week of May movies are ALWAYS huge, and I expect Cap will be no different.

This is what I was gonna say the trailers will entice and the movies make believers out of em. Thor should be huge mythic, he is a god afterall. Cap should be an epic journey about the best us from 'the greatest generation'.

I have to agree with the consensus that a "Captain America" film certainly would appear easier to translate than a potential "Thor" film. But who knows? Though I have to say the idea of setting up Cap's first big budget Hollywood movie as a period piece during World War 2 is simply a must. And one I have been certainly hoping would be the case for a number of years now.

I'm going to agree with the good Captain above. Captain America is still a recognizable hero, while he's not as prominent as a Spider Man people will certainly recognize him, especially more than Thor.

Once everybody sees Thor put that hammer through a Frost Giant's face in the trailer, they will be a chomping at the bit to see the movie.

I have to agree with the consensus that a "Captain America" film certainly would appear easier to translate than a potential "Thor" film. But who knows? Though I have to say the idea of setting up Cap's first big budget Hollywood movie as a period piece during World War 2 is simply a must. And one I have been certainly hoping would be the case for a number of years now.
i think i'd want the first movie the start in WWII until he's frozen and brought back today. but then for sequels they should periodically flashback to the 40s for story plot points and allusions to the outcome.

I dont really care for Thor but the cap is one of my top prioritys to watch so I cant wait for that bad boy to come out and plus with his whole Death about a year ago right he's going to be talked about and will draw in a really good croud I can see both movies making well into 200 mil +

I actually think Cap is trickier than Thor.

People may view Cap as another type of superman. Plus, how will the name "Captain America" do overseas to people who are not into comics.

I think Thor will border on epic. I think the producers are well aware of the potential for cheessiness like Flash and will make it more LOTR. A lot of people liked the LOTR settings & if done right, many of the LOTR fans will see Thor to see that kind of setting. You need a real actor for Thor & not some bad acting body builder to give it credibility. But I think the most important casting is Odin. Imagine if Anthony Hopkins played the character. This will give it the credibility that was given to Superman via Marlon Brando.

Plus, how will the name "Captain America" do overseas to people who are not into comics.
unfortunately there isn't much they can do about that- its his name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"