• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Paramount to distribute MARVEL films

[A]

Avenger
Reaction score
Paramount Pictures has signed a deal with Marvel Entertainment to distribute the studio’s next five self-produced film projects:

• Iron Man 2 (May 7, 2010)
  • Thor (July 16, 2010)
  • The First Avenger: Captain America (May 6, 2011)
  • The Avengers (July 15, 2011)
  • Iron Man 3 (Date Not Yet Announced)

The deal is an extension of the original agreement for Iron Man, and includes worldwide distribution.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/29/paramount-to-distribute-iron-man-sequels-thor-captain-america-and-avengers/

Glad they moved Thor out of June. That month is a killer.

..I still thing they're rushing things a bit--but that's just me :whatever:

I just posted this in the Kenneth Branagh thread. Interesting that they didn't take Independence Day for Avengers. Iron Man 2 moved back a week, too. The only one whose date appears to have remained the same is Cap.

See, the 3rd BATMAN is coming in 2012.......... told ya.......... :whatever:

..I still thing they're rushing things a bit--but that's just me :whatever:

Favs wasn't named IM director til the tail end of 2006, and look how that turned out. I was worried about Thor due to lack of news, but now I think it will make 2010, as will IM2. The only one I question making the date is Avengers. That will be tight, and may even need moved due to competition from DC/Sony. But, we shall see.

I didn't--but I'm the only one around who keeps saying it would be like this :funny:

Ah. Still, I think Avengers may get a 2012 push. Sony will have SM4 ready by 2011 (maybe SM5 by 2012 if they film back-to-back), possibly a Superman reboot (though I'd put it in the Winter), Captain America, and either BB3 or another DC film in the summer of 2011. This is tight, and Avengers will have to be filmed probably right after Cap, thus I can easily see it not making 2011.

Ah. Still, I think Avengers may get a 2012 push. Sony will have SM4 ready by 2011 (maybe SM5 by 2012 if they film back-to-back), possibly a Superman reboot (though I'd put it in the Winter), Captain America, and either BB3 or another DC film in the summer of 2011. This is tight, and Avengers will have to be filmed probably right after Cap, thus I can easily see it not making 2011.
I agree: way too tight (like the jeans I'm wearing right now). Not that I wouldn't love to get these many movies all at once, but this can only harm production..

I agree: way too tight (like the jeans I'm wearing right now). Not that I wouldn't love to get these many movies all at once, but this can only harm production..

Agreed. It would also hurt everyone's BO. Can't have too many comic movies in one summer.

Marvel is way too agressive with these slates... I'll be damned if they actually get this lucky... wait until Sony and Warner Bros. announce their slates. I guarantee these current release dates are not set in stone.

They've given iron Man 2 basically Iron Man's date and Thor basically the Dark Knight's date...I see a pattern here :-).

They got lucky that there wasn't an SM4 or a Superman movie in that slot.

True. But last time Sony gave a release date for SM4, it was for 2011. I don't expect that to change. DC putting Superman in 2010 would have been wise, but they missed the boat. Props to Marvel for being one step ahead of Sony and DC for now :up:

Favreau was named in June-July-ish of 2006. Not exactly the tail end. His Iron Man MySpace group was already up well before SDCC 2006.

Marvel is clearly picking first weekend of May a lot and they are branding that as their weekend:

2002 - Spider-man
2003 - X-men 2
2007 - Spider-man 3
2008 - Iron Man
2009 - Wolverine
2010 - Iron Man 2
2011 - Captain America

Favreau was named in June-July-ish of 2006. Not exactly the tail end. His Iron Man MySpace group was already up well before SDCC 2006.

Marvel is clearly picking first weekend of May a lot and they are branding that as their weekend:

2002 - Spider-man
2003 - X-men 2
2007 - Spider-man 3
2008 - Iron Man
2009 - Wolverine
2010 - Iron Man 2
2011 - Captain America

Still, plenty of time to get this movie out by July 2010. The script has been mostly done for a while now, so they won't have an extensive rewrite process. I think they have plenty of time to get this made.

Damn it... I hope they don't have the dvd packaging rights... paramount sucks at that.

Marvel is way too agressive with these slates... I'll be damned if they actually get this lucky... wait until Sony and Warner Bros. announce their slates. I guarantee these current release dates are not set in stone.

Can you really complain anymore? You're the most annoyingly cynical board member on here.

By your usual logic, Iron Man should've had it's legs chopped off by Indiana Jones and Narnia. Domestically, Iron Man went on to beat both movies in box office gross.

Thor is further along that Spider-Man 4 or the Superman reboot. There's no chance those will make 2010. Thor will.

I have no doubt they can make these movies in the alotted time, nor that they can make money in the alotted spots. However I would agree with you, to maximize profits, they should release one a year until 2012, with 2012 maybe being a double up for Cap and the Avengers.

Last edited:
Aw man Paramount has those dumb grey dvd discs. ; )

I'm glad to see all of this is in action. I know it was under Unversal and not Paramount, but I'd sure like to see an Incredible Hulk sequel, but as it looks, there won't be and Norton probably won't return. That's so disapointing. I wish they had gotten a director on the level of a who Iron Man got and Thor is getting. I'll just cling to him showing up in Avengers.

I'm glad to see all of this is in action. I know it was under Unversal and not Paramount, but I'd sure like to see an Incredible Hulk sequel, but as it looks, there won't be and Norton probably won't return. That's so disapointing. I wish they had gotten a director on the level of a who Iron Man got and Thor is getting. I'll just cling to him showing up in Avengers.

I think LL is a solid director. Now, neither Favs nor LL are Branagh, but one thing I will give TIH over IM is that TIH had a stronger plot IMO. IM was a better movie, but the story in IM was a bit thin. It was overshadowed by all the other awesome aspects, though.

I think LL gets underappreciated here since IM was a monster hit and TIH wasn't.

Seriously, me and Alex are the only ones down about what the future dvd packages will be?

I think LL is a solid director. Now, neither Favs nor LL are Branagh, but one thing I will give TIH over IM is that TIH had a stronger plot IMO. IM was a better movie, but the story in IM was a bit thin. It was overshadowed by all the other awesome aspects, though.

I think LL gets underappreciated here since IM was a monster hit and TIH wasn't.

You do have a point about a weak plot on Iron Man. It became really evident in the final conflict at the end of the film. It luckily had a good director and great cast to overcome that lackluster story.

Still, plenty of time to get this movie out by July 2010. The script has been mostly done for a while now, so they won't have an extensive rewrite process. I think they have plenty of time to get this made.

Yeah, but that's still not being the tail end.

Just saying, this time 2 years ago, we knew who was directing Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk.

I mean, we know Thor's been in the script stage for a while, and it had one director, and now it might have a new one. So I hope all the casting decisions could be coming soon.

I mean this is a very ambitious approach to film-making, so to see a cinematic rendition of the Marvel Universe truly unfold would be the most awesome thing to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"