• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Will we see another superhero movie just as bad or worse than Batman & Robin?

R

rkat25

Superhero movies have had there ups and downs. The first really bad superhero movie was Swamp Thing.Supergirl came next. Then came Superman IV and that was considered the worst film made and in some cases still holds that title.The Punisher soon followed. Then came Judge Dredd which was considered really bad especailly Rob Schnider's character! Did anyone forget Barb Wire? Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie was also bad. Then came Batman & Robin which still today fights for the title as worst superhero movie ever against Superman IV. Steel soon followed and that nearly ruined any attempt at a Superman movie. Mystery Men came years later with bad word of mouth. Hulk flopped but is considered better than most of the movies on the list. Catwoman came out a couple of years later and was also a contender for worst superhero movie ever contending against Batman & Robin and Superman IV. So what I am saying is, when ever there are alot of really good superhero movies, there come alot of really bad ones that, depending on how good the great ones before them are, ruin the superhero franchise for a year(s) Swamp Thing, Supergirl, and Superman IV hurt the superhero film industry until 1989. When Batman & Robin came out, it was years before a superhero movie would be a major hit and that film was X-men(2000). Even though Blade did well, it was not the major hit the superhero franchise needed. So could this happen again and possibley worse than before?

That's not it at all. Good movies don't automatically bring about bad ones. Truth be told, there have been worse movies than Batman & Robin, IMO. The Crow: City of Angels, for example. Or Catwoman. They're just not as high profile. Some think "Hulk" & "FF" took B & R's title.
Hollywood, like the comics industry, like any industry, loves money. How to make more money? By appealing to new crowds. Sometimes that means putting a new spin on old favorites. What they sometimes forget is that "new" doesn't always equal "better", and what we end up with is the product of unimaginative or unconcerned businessmen who have either forgotten what made the commodity popular in the first place, or never even knew. How can we trust filmmakers, who are outside of the comic industry, to always get it right when the comic companies themselves give us crap like the Clone Saga, Spider-Man becoming Iron Man's sidekick & "outing" himself, Jean Paul Valley taking over as Batman, Identity Disc, & the Electric Superman?
"Batman & Robin" happened because of the negative backlash behind "Batman Returns". Sure it made money, but it wasn't at all kid-friendly. Merchandising was a disaster. Mothers of America were offended. So WB, in a desperate move to revamp their cash cow franchise, entrusted it to a man who knew nothing about why the first film was such a big hit. He wanted to recapture the Batman he'd always known & loved, which was Adam West. Had we not grown so fond of the Dark Knight, we would have probably liked the goofball campfest Schumacher provided. And fans still haven't gotten over it. The net is still abuzz w/rants about 4 movies being too many, when the reality is that the Bat & Super franchises were not taken too far; they were taken in the wrong direction. Studios need to learn that while some minor changes are perfectly acceptable, you need to keep your core audience, & that means "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
There are tons of projects in development that are superhero-related, & not all of them are going to be gems. We have to kind of take the good with the bad, but hope that the major ones are done with taste & respect.

Chris Wallace said:
.....The net is still abuzz w/rants about 4 movies being too many, when the reality is that the Bat & Super franchises were not taken too far; they were taken in the wrong direction.......

You make a very good point but I think most comic films are cursed when they go beyond 2/3 films! Hollywood just loses the plot when comic book films go beyond 2 or 3 films! If the third film is of less quality than the first two then it isn't a surprise that everything will go downhill from then! X-men is a perfect example of this happening in recent times! I just hope that the X-men spinoffs don't continue the downward spiral and prove to be successful like BB was by going into past events!

There are plenty of films worse than BM&R.
Superman3&4
original FF
Captain America
Supergirl.....
do you really want me to go on....?

Again, none of those had the publicity of "Batman & Robin". Were they of lesser quality? Yes. But apart from the Superman movies they pretty much went unnoticed.

there's a difference between bad and unpopular films.

there are plenty of bad films coming out, it's just that they are for some reason being popular because of the lack of exposure the public have for these characters.

once the dust settles, they won't take all the crap they are feeding down people's throats and demand for better hance then making them unpopular (even the good ones).

I don't think that's true; Some of the most flawed comic book films of the past are to this day held up as the greatest of all time.

fangrl06 said:
There are plenty of films worse than BM&R.
Superman3&4
original FF
Captain America
Supergirl.....
do you really want me to go on....?

I didn't think the original Fantastic Four was released? Have you seen it? And if so, where on earth did you find it? As bad as it is supposed to be, I still want to check it out. Call it morbid curiosity.

Mr. Walters said:
I didn't think the original Fantastic Four was released? Have you seen it? And if so, where on earth did you find it? As bad as it is supposed to be, I still want to check it out. Call it morbid curiosity.
I own it, got it from Ebay. Its a disgrace to humanity. :o

No one respond to this Jackass' threads.
It's Ryankris and he's got another account.

All I'll say is, Hulk was NOT as bad as people say. It didn't deserve most of the crap it got. Yes, it had problems, but I still really liked it.

lordofthenerds said:

Ouch! That bad huh? So I take it it's not worth spending any moeny on.

lordofthenerds said:

I bought it from ebay too lol.

Bad movie? Yes.

But it was just too funny. I enjoyed it because of that. Did yours have bad picture too? I think mine was a bootleg.

webhead731 said:
I bought it from ebay too lol.

Bad movie? Yes.

But it was just too funny. I enjoyed it because of that. Did yours have bad picture too? I think mine was a bootleg.
Yeah mine's picture is pretty bad definitely a bootleg. I loved it when Johhny turned into a cartoon, that was hilarious even if it was unintentional. :up:

rkat25 said:
Superhero movies have had there ups and downs. The first really bad superhero movie was Swamp Thing.Supergirl came next. Then came Superman IV and that was considered the worst film made and in some cases still holds that title.The Punisher soon followed. Then came Judge Dredd which was considered really bad especailly Rob Schnider's character! Did anyone forget Barb Wire? Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie was also bad. Then came Batman & Robin which still today fights for the title as worst superhero movie ever against Superman IV. Steel soon followed and that nearly ruined any attempt at a Superman movie. Mystery Men came years later with bad word of mouth. Hulk flopped but is considered better than most of the movies on the list. Catwoman came out a couple of years later and was also a contender for worst superhero movie ever contending against Batman & Robin and Superman IV. So what I am saying is, when ever there are alot of really good superhero movies, there come alot of really bad ones that, depending on how good the great ones before them are, ruin the superhero franchise for a year(s) Swamp Thing, Supergirl, and Superman IV hurt the superhero film industry until 1989. When Batman & Robin came out,

Judge Dredd and Hulk are good and better films than Batman & Robin.

I think there is a movie on theaters similar to Batman & Robin´s taste, the name of this movie is Superman Returns.

lol.

Mr. Fantastic's animated stretching near the end. That slow punch made Dr. Doom fall lol.:rolleyes:

HighVoltage said:

Judge Dredd and Hulk are good and better films than Batman & Robin.

I think there is a movie on theaters similar to Batman & Robin´s taste, the name of this movie is Superman Returns.

Ouch!!! That's a very harsh criticism of SR isn't it?

I would like to throw Punisher into that pool of crap, please and thank you. I don't think that anything will be as bad as B & R. I think both of the comic book franchises realize finally that their icons should be handeled a little better Superman IV.:supes:

webhead731 said:
All I'll say is, Hulk was NOT as bad as people say. It didn't deserve most of the crap it got. Yes, it had problems, but I still really liked it.

Hulk is a very good movie, it just wasn't the right movie.

Or, to put it another way, it's lie being promised a huge bowl of chocolate chip ice cream and given grilled salmon instead.

Chris Wallace said:
I don't think that's true; Some of the most flawed comic book films of the past are to this day held up as the greatest of all time.
that's what i'm saying and it's due to their exposure at the time.

the dust settled for superman 3 and 4 as well as supergirl.

dust settled for batman and robin.

it's only a matter of time before it settles for the spidey franchise and also for the sex men if they don't get out quick enough....

Kevin Roegele said:
Hulk is a very good movie, it just wasn't the right movie.

Or, to put it another way, it's lie being promised a huge bowl of chocolate chip ice cream and given grilled salmon instead.
chocolate is overated anyway....

:):up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"