William Friedkin Casts Matthew McConaughey and Emile Hirsch in ‘Killer Joe’

I guess. I watch a lot of ****ed up movies and this one didn't seem so bad. I still find it odd that a film like this gets an NC17 while a movie packed with slow torturous graphic violence like some of the later Saw films only nab an R. It helped that this film was darkly comic, so I was borderline cracking up at him coming in his pants over her sucking a chicken.

Yes I was laughing at a lot of things too. In America nudity sex/nudity is the ultimate taboo over violence.

I hate the ending, not because it was OTT, but because till that point the movie was a straight up neo-noir, and the ending felt tacked on to disturb the audiences just for the hell of it. It's as if the writer of the play had nowhere to go with it so he/she said "screw it" and went for the shock factor. Which is sadly common for the more recent American plays.

Last edited:
I saw this at a free screening back in August. For the most part I thought it was a pretty good film, but I agree with most here that the ending was needlessly bizarre and abrupt.

I liked the ending. I like how the film shifts from black comedy to disturbing thriller and back to black comedy again. I don't like the amateurish directing though; the shots and the blocking of the actors were sloppily done.

That's because the ending finally betrayed the fact that this was originally a play. Everything after Killer Joe enters the family's house for the last time is done as a play and not as a movie.

Also may I add that God, Gina Gershan was so got back in the 90's. She looks okay now but..

Well, she's older. How ballsy was it that her character's intro to the movie was sort of a [BLACKOUT]vaginal shot?[/BLACKOUT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"