• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Winslet, Damon, Cotillard & Law in Soderbergh's 'Contagion'

Yeah, Soderbergh never lets you down. Even all three Ocean movies were above average.

Amazing, nice to feel the human side in a film about plagues. Usually it's to heroic or action movieish. It was also neat to see a lot of different aspects of it also.

Damon was great. Loved the Minneapolis sets...

Saw this last night and i really, really liked it. Stand out for me was Jude Law. :up:

I was expecting more people would of saw this. I plan to head out for it soon.

You'll like it.

Thanks UL , I've heard mostly good things.

edit: I really enjoyed the realistic approach , instead of contrivances. This is one of the best films I've seen this year.

Last edited:
Excellent film. It was fun seeing 'Lau' and 'Miranda Tate' share scenes together. 'Officer Rodriguez' as well ;)

This movie was really well-done and it was so refreshing to get a "realistic" movie about the subject instead of the typical overdramatic action-y movie that Hollywood usually puts out, which really helped sell the verisimillitude.

It was really eye-opening to see typically glammed-up actors look completely normal - Paltrow and Winslet especially, but Damon too, who looked really scruffy in the movie. Everyone did a great acting job too.

Next to the "realistic" style, the one other thing I loved most about the movie was the minimalistic, electronica-style soundtrack. IMO it enhanced the mood more than an orchestral soundtrack would have. It was also really refreshing to get a relatively slow-paced, slower-edited movie for a change. Somehow that added to the intensity.

Just about the only thing I found odd was the ending, which felt anticlimactic and didn't really provide resolution for Marion Cotillard's character either.

Without trying to spoil anything, I found two characters' deaths completely unexpected. Even though the trailers show Paltrow's character dying it still totally caught me off guard, and the other one, well it was more like a "nooooo, I can't believe it, I refuse to believe it!" And the scene with Paltrow's corpse was totally freaky. I mean, it was ultra-freaky. It seriously creeped me out. Anyone who's seen the movie knows what I'm talking about, it's the kind of thing you totally don't see coming, especially when the actor is an A-lister. Usually those kinds of scenes are given to either B-list, C-list, or D-list actors, not someone like Paltrow.

Marion Cotillard was totally hot in this movie too. I'm not sure what it is about her, must be those eyes. :hrt:

Oh and I hope this movie ends up being a wake-up call for all of the guys who don't wash their hands after touching their junk after using the men's room! :p

I'm looking forward to seeing this when it comes out on Bluray.

One of Soderberg's best. What a great film.

9/10

Saw this yesterday, it was a good film but I can't help but feel it lacked oomph. I didn't have any real attachment to any of the characters and there was never any real tension. But overall an above average virus flick, great cast all around except I have no idea what the hell Jude Law was trying to do. 8/10

The film didn't come out here until last week and yet I didn't have the time to watch it but at last I did for this week. My thoughts on it.

While it’s not the first movie to deal with virus outbreak it is perhaps the most realistic as it focuses on stark, somber scenarios with how we humans could be reacting to the pandemic. Rather that resort to any Hollywood standards it’s quite dialogue-driven, which reminds me what a great script Burns has wrote and the research that has gone to it. Soderbergh uses a lot of lingering shots that’s enough to tell the viewers of the dread that is going on and it’s build with tension in synch with the magnificent score Martinez has created.

Multiple story-lines isn’t easy to pull of but Soderbergh is no stranger to it, in fact that’s one of his strongest side. Contagion is no different, it has a great structure and it interweaves its characters and story-lines just at the right moments. The ensemble cast is wonderful, while some don’t get as much screen-time as others the performances are in the end great and the struggles of each character is very easy to relate to, despite that they aren't really fleshed out as much as I'd like but that's one minor flaw I'm willing to look past.

Anyway it’s one of Soderbergh’s strongest work lately and I’m surprised that it was actually this good.

It gets a 4/5 from me, definitely one of my favorites of this year.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen Solaris in over 15 years and yet I can still hear that soundtrack in my head.

I rewatched it a few days ago and still got me in my feelings.

tumblr_m8mhtlNuOX1r5na0fo1_500.gifv

I am definitely re-watching this and Outbreak soon which I don't think I've seen since I was a kid. It's weird, but for some reason now feels like the time to watch these kinds of movies again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"