Sequels Would a Dazzler movie work?

Dasher10

I'm like Deadpool IRL
Reaction score
I'm thinking a punk rock musical starring Lady Gaga set in the early 1990s. It starts where Dazzler Blaire (real first name: Alison) of the band Dazzler is on tour and in order to escape an onslaught of fans, Dazzler's guitarist Lila Cheney (played by Carrie Brownstein) opens a portal but doesn't consider to where and they wind up on a planet on the other side of the galaxy where reality TV reigns supreme and a media mogul is also a dictator who renamed the planet in his honor along with the countless other worlds he conquered. Alison and Lila need to escape from Mojoworld and return to Earth but with Lila's powers limited and only a strange alien named Longshot able to help, provided the two of them help him stage a rebellion.

Mojo's characterization would be heavily influenced by convicted former Italian President Silvio Burlusconi complete with explicit references toward Burlusconi's scandals.

And at the end, Longshot agrees to return with Alison and Lila to Earth and that's how Shatterstar is born to appear in X-Factor.

All music would be written and performed by Lady Gaga and Carrie Brownstein.

My one concern is that the attacks on reality TV might make the film vetoed by Fox who have broadcast a number of reality programs but it it ever gets made, it'll be the highest profile punk musical since Hedwig and the Angry Itch but mixed with Cabin in the Woods, Gladiator, Spinal Tap, Fire in the Sky and Network along with a paranormal romance which is all the rage these days. It's something that there's an audience for but somehow doesn't exist yet.

I'm thinking a punk rock musical starring Lady Gaga set in the early 1990s.

You had me at...

fHR06XW_zps7096178b.gif

It could work if they have a good writer, director and a lead actress.

However, it would be tough to sell it to a large audience.

It could work if they have a good writer, director and a lead actress.

However, it would be tough to sell it to a large audience.

I feel like the audience is there, it's just a matter of selling it to the producers. As somebody who just got a Thankgiving guest's 11-year-old daughter into comics with very little effort, I can assure you that the audience is already in place. The target audience would be the same as those of Hunger Games and Divergent fans. The YA audience exists and tapping into that to build a new generation of X-Men fans is desirable from a commercial standpoint.

Plus, X-Man fans in general will be curious about a prequel to X-Factor showing Shatterstar's parents. Pop music fans will want to see Lady Gaga. Punk rock fans will appreciate the soundtrack and Carrie Brownstein. This project is filled to the brim with unrealized potential and the new fans will want to start catching up on X-Factor and watch future X-Men movies.

Most likely at the box-office, it would perform like Hairspray or Pitch Perfect at the box-office.... or worse like Elektra/Catwoman. The thing is its a female-led superhero film and it would be tough to sell especially the lead isn't as well known as Storm/Wonder Woman. And of course if its from Fox... there wouldn't be an aggressive family-target marketing.

Dazzler could definitely work. You can do alot of interesting satires on pop culture/music, social media, fans, the paparazzi and how a prejudice society would respond to a superpowered Mutant celebrity. How her audience would react once they discover she's a mutant would make for good material. Human and Mutant interaction really hasn't been done that much in the X-Men films so Dazzler could be a solid way to explore that more.

Think making her a Rock or Punk musician would be a mistake. Dazzler has almost always been associated with dance so in a time where there's just a ton of artists like Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Charli XCX, Calvin HArris, Avicci, David Guetta, Zedd, Demi Lovato, Krewella, Lorde, Tove Lo etc being on billboard with Electronic Dance it's just much more relevant for her. 90s not so much. 70s or 80s would obviously be a good fit as well because of Disco and New Wave.

With the Jem flick coming out it makes even more sense to separate her from rock or punk. Maybe give her a past history on changing music styles based on trends and career ups and downs or something but otherwise I'd stick to EDM/POP with Disco influence.

Last edited:
You can do alot of interesting satires on pop culture/music, social media, fans, the paparazzi and how a prejudice society would respond to a superpowered Mutant celebrity.

Just do X-Statix

Just do X-Statix

X-Statix would require a larger cast, wouldn't be a musical and wouldn't have anyone recognizable. Dazzler was at least in the X-Men arcade game so the general public knows who she is. Nobody knows or cares about X-Statix except maybe Doop. Doop has some people who know who he is and care about him.

I'd much prefer a Dazzler flick but prior popularity really does not matter anymore. The general public gains interest through hype,wom and marketing. Look at GOTG. Audiences like new things. The fact it's new and unknown to most just grabs more curiosity.

Any of these characters can be stand outs when handled the right way, and if the movie looks cool enough people will show.

Last edited:
I agree with def28 and didn't mean any disrespect def, I reread my post and as short as it is...it does somewhat come across that way.

I agree with your post, I had no idea who GOTG were (probably one of the few Marvel comics I knew squat about)...with the right people and marketing behind them, any unknown can become the next blockbuster...

I myself just feel what you mentioned as far as celebrity etc...of course minus the music...were embodied through that group...and I feel for the present look at celebrity, social media, what not...they would be the group to embody that...with reality tv as big as it is...X-Statix had that...again, for a "modern" look at and parody of "fame" I think X-Force/X-Statix would be the stronger connection...

I love Dazzler, I have my original issues of her series, but to me Dazzler should always be with the X-Men (like from the arcade game and I still have my copy of Pryde of the X-Men)...but as far as a solo effort, I'd prefer her in the disco early 80s era (so prequel?)...outside of X...that's the Dazzler I love and became a fan of...

All good Hellion! Didn't take your reply that way and agree with your post as well. :up:

X-Statix definitely had a satire pop culture vibe to it and I will be a bit surprised if Dazzler isn't used in Apocalypse because that is the perfect decade for her.

Last edited:
X-Statix is still pretty niche and everyone involved dies. I feel like that's far down the list of Fox's priorities. X-Factor and X-Force should be the first two new teams to be established. Solo films can work for Wolverine, Storm, Deadpool, Gambit, Dazzler, Cable, Shadowcat and Rogue alongside a Wolverine and X-23 team up and a Cyclops and Cable team up.

Most of the X-Factor and New Mutants characters will have a TV show where they'll be able to get an acceptable amount of screen time and the other X-Men and X-Force members have never had any memorable solo runs.

Again, the whole prior popularity/ranking for characters who have yet to reach the screen is completely useless in judging how an audience will react. Too many characters who many considered "B-D list" have became top sellers in the movie world. And that wont stop anytime soon.

Can't be close minded anymore when it comes to characters like Dazzler or whoever. Starlord, Gamora and Rocket Racoon are now more marketable then a majority of comic characters. Very few people saw that coming. And we also saw how easily an X-Men character can become a fan favorite like Quicksilver when handled in a fun way, even with preloaded hate.

Tons of popular film characters in the next 10 years will be based on comics very few people know and could very well out gross the big guns as we've seen happen.

Last edited:
Dazzler is more like a B-list X-Men character.

A C list character is someone like Moonstar or Domino.

Dazzler is more like a B-list X-Men character.

A C list character is someone like Moonstar or Domino.

Domino's only been C-list during the early 2000s, By 2006 she went back to B-list.

Hmm I don't know. I don't think she's that popular. She appeared in the latest X-Men cartoon, Deadpool videogame and has been a member of the main X-Men team in the comics but I don't think she hit the level of popularity of Banshee/Havok/Bishop yet.

I'm thinking a punk rock musical starring Lady Gaga set in the early 1990s. It starts where Dazzler Blaire (real first name: Alison) of the band Dazzler is on tour and in order to escape an onslaught of fans, Dazzler's guitarist Lila Cheney (played by Carrie Brownstein) opens a portal but doesn't consider to where and they wind up on a planet on the other side of the galaxy where reality TV reigns supreme and a media mogul is also a dictator who renamed the planet in his honor along with the countless other worlds he conquered. Alison and Lila need to escape from Mojoworld and return to Earth but with Lila's powers limited and only a strange alien named Longshot able to help, provided the two of them help him stage a rebellion.

Mojo's characterization would be heavily influenced by convicted former Italian President Silvio Burlusconi complete with explicit references toward Burlusconi's scandals.

And at the end, Longshot agrees to return with Alison and Lila to Earth and that's how Shatterstar is born to appear in X-Factor.

All music would be written and performed by Lady Gaga and Carrie Brownstein.

Why does a Dazzler story have to involve Longshot, Mojo, and Lila Cheney? Being a famous singer doesn't mean she'll attract otherworld beings.

Maybe because she has connections with Lila Chenney/Longshot in the comics.

Maybe because she has connections with Lila Chenney/Longshot in the comics.

It sounds like a formula for a new Labyrinth movie, or a Marvel version of Alice in Wonderland. The only guy who can direct something like that is Darren Lynn Bousman.

Dazzler would obviously be Alice because her first name is Alison. Lila Cheney would be the White Rabbit who keeps popping in and disappearing. Longshot would be the Mad Hatter and Mojo is the Queen of Hearts.

Last edited:
With all those characters thrown in it's a very fantastic landscape. A mutant singer meets an otherworld humanoid with four digits on his limbs, fighting for freedom in a world run by spineless overweight lords. That's a rock opera, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"