BvS Would you like to see Superman lose powers temporarily and then do something heroic?

Clark-Kent

I don't need glasses
Reaction score
I think it might be kind of cool to do the old superhero loses powers moment, and have Superman knowing he can die risk his life. Showing what makes him Superman is more than just the powers. Maybe just finding out the effects of kryptonite he doesn't even know that his powers can return, and still can't help trying to save people. If even just for a small couple of scenes it might be cool.

Reminds me of one of the latest issue's of the latest Superman run with Johns and Romita JR. A powerless Superman stood in the face of a criminal with a gun and talked him down. Romita JR's art is horrid but the scene was still awesome. I would have loved to see this scene drawn by a better artist:

Superman #39
sm%2B39-03.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds similar to Thor movie, but I'd think it'll be cool eventually.

Reminds me of one of the latest issue's of the latest Superman run with Johns and Romita JR. A powerless Superman stood in the face of a criminal with a gun and talked him down. Romita JR's art is horrid but the scene was still awesome. I would have loved to see this scene drawn by a better artist:

Superman #39
sm%2B39-03.jpg
That's actually really cool, although it looks like Adam Driver as Superman :oldrazz:

That's actually really cool, although it looks like Adam Driver as Superman :oldrazz:

Don't pay attention to the art! Romita JR is the type of artist that there's no middle ground. You either love or hate him. Me, personally, I think he's awful and brought down the level of the Superman book and John's story, which wasn't as impactful as it should have been. Still, with all of that said, the powerless gun scene was by far the highlight of the series.

Here's an interesting take on this... Let Clark Kent do something heroic in a place where nobody recognizes him as Clark Kent, without using Superpowers (while technically, he still has them but prefers to do something heroic without superpowers)

Sounds a lot like the first Thor movie.

No, but there is a great JLU episode about it

[YT]hM7ymYarWeI[/YT]

Superman 2 did this and Clark came off looking like a wuss. Getting beat down by a trucker over manners.

I guess it could be good if executed well.

if i recall correctly, in Man of Steel, superman's superpowers are not by definition concidered superpowers. to humans, obviously, they are, but - superman's cells are conciderably stronger than 'earthling' powers.

i believe it was said to derive from his prolonged exposure and adaptation to certain elements of Earth's atmosphere as well as Earth's Sun. Supes is depicted as being more powerful than Zod and other Kryptonians due to his lifetime of exposure to Earth's yellow sun, which allowed him to absorb and metabolize its radiation in greater amounts and with more efficiency. This gave him an advantage and victory over them despite their superior fighting skills and quickly adapting to their newfound abilities.

So, taking this into account, you could state 'superman' by definition does not have superpowers. He is simply much stronger than humans - or, lets say he does not need anything special for his superpowers. As for example some elixer, a certain thing in his blood, or a spell like thor (his powers were taken from him, so he's not by definition strong by gene, if you'd like to look at it that way).

So really, you can't take away supes powers. You could concider having him away from the sun would slightly weaken him over time.

either way, the idea of a superpowerless superman i simply can't enjoy. Superman is superman because he's so super strong. Without it he's, what? an useless uninteresting character. It would actually weaken the character to be able to lose his superpowers. That would turn supes in somebody dependant of 'something'. This superman is an Alien that is superbly strong by birth in comparison to humans.

Being allergic to kryptonian radiation would be enough imho. weakening him. thats more than enough.

At some point I'd love to a depowered, T-shirt and jeans Superman. The timing needs to be right.

Too gimmicky imo

I'd like him to be heroic without using his powers at one point. Like in All-Star Superman where he prevents a girl from committing suicide just by talking to her. Something like that.

Nah. It's been done quite a few times already.

I think if it was done well, it could establish the character well. That he's more than his powers :)

I think ideally that might make a good story for a third Man of Steel instalment, if that will ever happen.

Say Superman gives up his powers to be with Lois...well maybe not...or he gets his powers taken away by maybe Darkseid...and has to go through a long journey to get them back (third act). Grows a beard again. Goes to the Fortress...walks all the way over there, but hitchhikes as well and gets rides. We see sort of a different Superman. Once he gets his powers back, he also needs to get his suit back, than epic battle between him and Darkseid. Sounds similar to Superman II or The Dark Knight Rises, but I think it could be done differently.

Yeah, this could work. One of my favorite parts of the Reign of the Superman storyline is when the real Supes comes back, de-powered, and then still goes off to take on the Cyborg's army. It shows you just how much of a badass he truly is.

It simply isn't necessary. The fact that Superman is not a tyrant is all that need be shown. His heroism is displayed in the fact that he is Superman and not more like Zod.

If it represented with whatever the story telling is id be fine with it. Just don't want it thrown in there for the sake of it. For Example: If Batman really does use Kryptonite to "De-power" Superman and then Superman highly weakened by it saved someone from falling debris or something of that nature would be fine. Just how I kind of picture how it would go down if it did. But to just have it in the film to have it? no thanks.

It simply isn't necessary. The fact that Superman is not a tyrant is all that need be shown. His heroism is displayed in the fact that he is Superman and not more like Zod.

Exactly. The idea, as you say is un-necessary, as well as being highly un-original.

Exactly. The idea, as you say is un-necessary, as well as being highly un-original.

Yep to all of this.

And this clearly didn't need a separate thread let alone in the BvS section of all places because it aint happening in this movie.

This could happen during the Batman encounter in the rain. Depowered but still fighting on.

^ I would love it if Supes ONLY starts to fight once he's been weakened, knowing that his punches won't hurt Batman as much. I like the idea of Superman going out of his way not to hurt Batman :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"