X-Men ‘97 X-Men 97 Episodes 8, 9, and 10 - Tolerance is Extinction Parts 1-3 SPOILER Thread

Spider-Fan

SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a SPOILER Thread for Tolerence is Extinction Parts 1-3. Meaning there are SPOILER beyond this post, and tagging is not necessary WITHIN THIS THREAD ONLY! So you are warned!!!!

Discuss!!!!

What a great start to the finale!

We got SOOOOOOOOOO many cameos!

012e1fdbe8602063e1fc06c6b8e15185cafe7d73.jpg

Wolverine and Nightcrawler got an awesome fight scene(s) that should quench the Wolverine fans thirst for a little.

So many human Sentinels....I was not expecting that and it'll be interesting to see the fallout from this because..you just turned all these people into glorified robots and some have been sliced and diced.

Magneto going Omega at the end....omg....literally shutting down everything. It is war and you just pissed off the wrong guy

Definitely the best episode of the series so far.

Can someone please tell me who all the cameos are. I recognise Doctor Doom, Spiderman and Omega Red plus old age Polaris. I don't know who the man in the pointy hat was or who any of the other villains on the screens were.

It was weird seeing the twin towers on screen again in the shot of the New York skyline because obviously that's not something you'd see in the last 20 years but given the time period the cartoon is set, that's something you would've seen at the time. It just highlights the difference in time period.

I am actually quite liking Jean's character. She was my least favourite in the original series, here she is in the top 3.

I laughed but felt sorry for those 3 kids when their parents turned into homicidal robots. Just the look on their faces.

I liked the subtext on what the blonde woman realised between what Bastion was describing the future like and the numbers on Magneto's arm. That's why they shouldn't change Magneto's backstory for the MCU because that event is what drives Magneto's fight for mutant kind because he is seeing the signs of how things could go if the anti-mutant side wins.

Magneto using Earth's electro magnetic poles to take out the sentinels was clever. I'm guessing his little power bubble was protecting him from the arctic cold because he was only wearing underwear so Frostbite would've been a major risk.

How did Wolverine know Magneto was alive and he was responsible for what happened? I'm thinking that was a slight oversight in the writing though it could work that Wolverine just put 2 and 2 together and assumed it couldn't be anyone else but Magneto.

For a second, I thought it was going to turn out that Bastion's mother was the real Val Cooper and the young version would turn out to be Mystique in disguise but apparently not.

Got to laugh at Xavier's "I hope I'm not too late" after there has just been a massively destructive battle.

Roberto's mother is a piece of work. I was willing to give her a pass for last week's comment about keeping Roberto's mutation as strictly family business because in the series mutation is a controversial topic and Roberto isn't the centre of the universe so it's not fair on his other family members to be negatively impacted by it as a result. Realism of the world they live in vs idealism. However to hand your own son over to the very people he says are trying to kill him just because they said they're not is just bad. It wasn't even a case of Roberto being mentally paranoid and the prime sentinels being mental health professionals trying to help him, they are literally mutant hunting robots.

jubilee did kind of bug me with her "he's got a trust fund and I'm in need of retail therapy" comment. In the real world, all that would achieve is Roberto's trust fund being taken away.

Surely it would've just been easier for Nightcrawler to teleport Rogue and Wolverine out of the room than it was to try and fight the sentinels to keep them away from Rogue.

They definitely need to use the concept of the prime sentinels in the MCU. Really inject some horror into what the X-Men are having to deal with.

What a great start to the finale!

We got SOOOOOOOOOO many cameos!

012e1fdbe8602063e1fc06c6b8e15185cafe7d73.jpg

Wolverine and Nightcrawler got an awesome fight scene(s) that should quench the Wolverine fans thirst for a little.

So many human Sentinels....I was not expecting that and it'll be interesting to see the fallout from this because..you just turned all these people into glorified robots and some have been sliced and diced.

Magneto going Omega at the end....omg....literally shutting down everything. It is war and you just pissed off the wrong guy
Can't believe they gave us a Nightcrawler sword scene with Wolverine, loved that so much!

The human sentinels are going to be very interesting. Those people are being totally controlled and many getting killed, should be some ethical backlash even from some who otherwise want mutants gone.

Mags going for it/losing it - the stakes are just getting higher!

Thought for sure we’d get a reveal that Val is actually Mystique but maybe that’s not quite the case… or we’re saving some surprises for Part 2 and 3.

Can’t wait to see the team together again for the finale—looks like it’ll be Cyclops, Jean, Cable, Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Forge, Morph, Beast, Jubilee, Sunspot, and Rogue (if she wakes up).

Given that Wolverine’s costume is now a shredded mess, I hope he changes too. Give us the classic brown & yellow!!

I hope Kurt continues to use the swords too.

I still think something weird's going on with Rogue ever since she probed Gyrich. Her being unconscious throughout this entire episode while everyone else who was attacked by Sentinel Trask was doing alright is noteworthy.

Also, Magneto's worldwide EMP just killed millions of people, right?

Who was the third person on the monitors speaking with Bastion, after Doom and Zemo? I assumed it was Viper/Madame Hydra.

Thought for sure we’d get a reveal that Val is actually Mystique but maybe that’s not quite the case… or we’re saving some surprises for Part 2 and 3.

Can’t wait to see the team together again for the finale—looks like it’ll be Cyclops, Jean, Cable, Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Forge, Morph, Beast, Jubilee, Sunspot, and Rogue (if she wakes up).

Given that Wolverine’s costume is now a shredded mess, I hope he changes too. Give us the classic brown & yellow!!

I love having Cable involved and Sunspot has been a nice addition as a POV style character. Should be a solid final lineup.

I've always massively preferred the brown and yellow costume for Wolverine so that's a huge yes to me. Also always loved Kurt with the swords.

Maybe she's going to get turned into a sentinel too, only she'll retain her memory.

Surely the X-Men have more than one version of each of their costumes?

He does engage a lot with folks on Twitter who ask him questions whenever an episode's released.

And while not referenced in this particular episode, I found this particular wording interesting regarding a certain character:

I will need to rewatch this one, I missed quite a few cameos. The show is giving us dramatic X-Men stories while getting a wide range of characters rights (unlike the films) along with the family/team element, and on top of that giving us loads of fun cameos without taking anything way from the show/episodes in question (something the MCU sometimes struggled with).

He does engage a lot with folks on Twitter who ask him questions whenever an episode's released.

And while not referenced in this particular episode, I found this particular wording interesting regarding a certain character:

Interesting. I still think we may eventually see Gambit come back as Death.

Interesting. I still think we may eventually see Gambit come back as Death.
That's what I'm still hoping for. I see the potential in that storyline especially with how they've been doing things in this show. But that will most likely be saved for season 2.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to all-out war between Magneto and humans. Have the feeling that this might be what Bastion wanted all along to fan the flames of anti-mutant sentiment.

Did Bastion infect Magneto with the Techo-Organic virus, I wonder?

He seemed pretty nonchalant when Cooper freed him, but I suppose that could have been his hope all along that Magneto would go ballistic and cement the start of the evolutionary war.

I don't think so. I feel he was just wanted to crush Magneto's attempt at following Xavier's ideals and have Genosha be the last straw in a long line of last straws for him. Erik is done trying to make peace and he'll make sure humanity knows it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"