X-Men ‘97 X-Men 97 Episodes 8, 9, and 10 - Tolerance is Extinction Parts 1-3 SPOILER Thread

Yeah season 2 already seems really jampacked in terms of 3 timelines storylines and looking to have a really bloated cast..Ten episodes will not be enough. Maybe each timelines will be given 2 episodes each?

Thankfully no room for Avengers v Xmen stuff and filler Jubilee/Mojo type episodes for sure

Yeah season 2 already seems really jampacked in terms of 3 timelines storylines and looking to have a really bloated cast..Ten episodes will not be enough. Maybe each timelines will be given 2 episodes each?

Thankfully no room for Avengers v Xmen stuff and filler Jubilee/Mojo type episodes for sure
Its like Lost but this time - it's the past, the present and the future!

I just rewatched the episode finally and was able to pay more attention to the dialogue and nuances I missed the first time from being in an utter freaked out, frenzied state.

I got slightly choked up this time during the Xavier/ Erik scenes in his head. Man, that stuff was so powerfully written and if I may get a little personal for a moment with you all, it really hit me in my core as someone who has lately been on a journey of self re-discovery of overcoming crippling fear and anxiety, and embracing and loving who I really am and letting go of my past trauma's and sadnesses. A huge part of that whole process of it is the art of "letting go" and relinquishing this need to control everything and be someone else and just ...letting the "cold water" wash over you even though its cold and scary and youre afraid you dont know how to swim. Seeing Erik "let go" and remembering the good person he really is and having his best friend at his side hold him as the "cold water" engulfs the two of them really struck an emotional cord with me.

Xavier: Be brave, let the tide pull you back.
Erik (frightened): Its too cold, i'll drown.
Xavier: I have you Magnus, I'll always have you even if i'm pulled under too. Together we will resurface.

I think we all need someone in our lives every now and then, a friend like Charles, to hold us and say that to us.

Just my two cents :)

Last edited:
I just rewatched the episode finally and was able to pay more attention to the dialogue and nuances I missed the first time from being in an utter freaked out, frenzied state.

I got slightly choked up this time during the Xavier/ Erik scenes in his head. Man, that stuff was so powerfully written and if I may get a little personal for a moment with you all, it really hit me in my core as someone who has lately been on a journey of self re-discovery of overcoming crippling fear and anxiety, and embracing and loving who I really am and letting go of my past trauma's and sadnesses. A huge part of that whole process of it is the art of "letting go" and relinquishing this need to control everything and be someone else and just ...letting the "cold water" wash over you even though its cold and scary and youre afraid you dont know how to swim. Seeing Erik "let go" and remembering the good person he really is and having his best friend at his side hold him as the "cold water" engulfs the two of them really struck an emotional cord with me.

Xavier: Be brave, let the tide pull you back.
Erik (frightened): Its too cold, i'll drown.
Xavier: I have you Magnus, I'll always have you even if i'm pulled under too. Together we will resurface.

I think we all need someone in our lives every now and then, a friend like Charles, to hold us and say that to us.

Just my two cents :)
All the Xavier and Erik moments in the final episode were pretty much "For the love of mutantkind, just make up and kiss each other already". Gotta keep the bromance brewing

it definitely is worth the money. It took me a while to complete it. I am going to order the Origin of Apocalypse omnibus as well.
Agreed. I love it and consider it an important part of X-Men history.

All the Xavier and Erik moments in the final episode were pretty much "For the love of mutantkind, just make up and kiss each other already". Gotta keep the bromance brewing
I want a version of the episode with you popping up and saying exactly that to them. :funny:

With the way that they set up Sinister as this boogeyman for Morph in the credits...it's disappointing that the two never really came face2face again and play on that storyline.

Sin Sin played a major part in both Jean and Morphs lives. If we had gotten an extended season, seeing them bond over that (or Morph/Mads tbh)

I still don't see the value of Morph in this show. There are literally about 50 more important X-Men characters in the X-Men mythos, and yet, they included him in the main cast for the first X-Men cartoon in more than 10 years.

Even if I dig into the X-Men comics, I can't really find any storyline for this show to adapt for Morph because he is irrelevant to the 616 X-Men. In the comics, there's a "Morph" set in another reality that looks similar to the Morph in the show, but I can't even remember what comic book title was that. Exiles? I think it featured AOA Morph.

I still don't see the value of Morph in this show. There are literally about 50 more important X-Men characters in the X-Men mythos, and yet, they included him in the main cast for the first X-Men cartoon in more than 10 years.

Even if I dig into the X-Men comics, I can't really find any storyline for this show to adapt for Morph because he is irrelevant to the 616 X-Men. In the comics, there's a "Morph" set in another reality that looks similar to the Morph in the show, but I can't even remember what comic book title was that. Exiles? I think it featured AOA Morph.

The problem with Morph in this show is that when Morph shapeshifts into another character, they seem able to take on that character's powers eg morphing into Quicksilver and being able to use superspeed. The problem this presents is that, if Morph can do that, why didn't the x-Men just get Morph to turn into Magneto and get them to undo what Magneto did that way? It either needs to be shown in-show that there are limits to what Morph can do or have it specifically stated that Morph can only replicate physical powers and not energy ones eg turning into Storm doesn't allow Morph to control the weather. As it stands, it makes the X-Men look silly not to have Morph turn into the most powerful person they can think of and just bulldoze the competition.

With the way that they set up Sinister as this boogeyman for Morph in the credits...it's disappointing that the two never really came face2face again and play on that storyline.

Sin Sin played a major part in both Jean and Morphs lives. If we had gotten an extended season, seeing them bond over that (or Morph/Mads tbh)

That’s fair. Seeing Morph really go off on Sinister in Pt II or III would have been awesome—probably given us a dozen more cameos too.

It may be the first X-Men cartoon in 10 years but its a continuation from TAS and Morph was on the team in the series finale so it'd be weird if he just dissappeared.
1716054944065.png

As I started my full rewatch, they really should've had Storm return for episode 7 and be at Remys funeral. It made no sense for her to be out of 7/8 just to return for such a small part of 9&10.

The problem with Morph in this show is that when Morph shapeshifts into another character, they seem able to take on that character's powers eg morphing into Quicksilver and being able to use superspeed. The problem this presents is that, if Morph can do that, why didn't the x-Men just get Morph to turn into Magneto and get them to undo what Magneto did that way? It either needs to be shown in-show that there are limits to what Morph can do or have it specifically stated that Morph can only replicate physical powers and not energy ones eg turning into Storm doesn't allow Morph to control the weather. As it stands, it makes the X-Men look silly not to have Morph turn into the most powerful person they can think of and just bulldoze the competition.
I was also confused by his mutant power. I thought Morph was supposed to be the comics' equivalent of Changeling. Changeling was an impostor in the comics and he was killed quickly.

In the show, Morph also created weapons when he morphed to Psylocke and Magik.

Yes but Morph wasn't also a regular in the original series and wasn't seen in the intro for all 5 seasons.
Magneto was never in the intro as part of the team. Same with Nightcrawler. And Forge.

I was also confused by his mutant power. I thought Morph was supposed to be the comics' equivalent of Changeling. Changeling was an impostor in the comics and he was killed quickly.

I think we can chalk it up to Morphs powers getting an upgrade due to all of the experiments Sinister ran on Morph

Last edited:
Morph's powers were inconsistent...
but, I think in terms of abilities they can use when they morph are more physical surface powers (like being bullet proof as Colossus, fast as Quicksilver, stretchy as Reed) or skill set (like sword fighting as Spiral)....but, can't control any type of metaphysical powers/ mental powers
...things of that nature

Psylocke is a confusing one as her ability to make weapons should fall under a metaphysical power... unless the weapons they made were just physical (made to appear as telekinetic energy) and not actual energy based weapons???

Morph was there to get killed off in the pilot to show the stakes. But he was popular, so they brought him back in Season 2. He gets a surprisingly large amount of screentime in the original series. Far more than long-time X-Men like Iceman, Colossus, and Nightcrawler.

Magneto was never in the intro as part of the team. Same with Nightcrawler. And Forge.

I think we can chalk it up to Morphs powers getting an upgrade due to all of the experiments Sinister ran on Morph
Magneto, Nightcrawler, Forge are actually X-Men staples.

Morph isn't. Like I said before, there are literally 50 more important characters from the X-Men mythos that deserve this platform more than someone like Morph. Upgrading him to a regular/intro status, is similar to Spyke's inclusion in X-Men Evolution. :xmen:

Like or dislike of Morph aside, can we use the proper pronouns when talking about them, please? I get that it’s a relatively new development for the character and can be hard to remember sometimes and easy to mess up if you’re not thinking about it, but it just kind of irks me when people repeatedly don’t refer to any character/person by their preferred terms and misgender them, whether intentional or not. It’s just plain disrespectful.

Morph is officially and canonically non-binary, thus referred to by they/them pronouns, and we should refer to them as such.

Totally agree. More Morph next season please. I’m even starting to think they should appear in the eventual MCU reboot too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"