Days of Future Past X-men Sequel worldwide BOX-OFFICE predictions

Angamb

Avenger
Reaction score
We all know the release is really far from this right point, but since some of the users have already started this discussion on the sequel topic, I think this would be a pretty interesting topic to discuss about the sequel chances on the worldwide and domestic boxoffice.

So here is the poll, How do you think the movie will work worldwide?

A reminder:

------------- Domestic ------ Foreign ------- Worldwide

X1: ______ $157,299,717 - $139,039,810 - $296,339,527
X2: ______ $214,949,694 - $192,761,855 - $407,711,549
X3:______ $234,362,462 - $224,997,093 - $459,359,555
Wolverine: $179,883,157 - $193,179,707 - $373,062,864
First Class: $146,408,305 - $207,215,819 - $353,624,124

and after voting the worldwide prediction, lets discuss about the domestic chances too.

Last edited:
X-Men:days of future Past(Fox has registed that title so untill I hear otherwise that Is what I am calling this film) has poential to do 500 Million worldwide.Combing cast members from X2/Last Stand and First Class It could get to 250 Million Domesticly and
250 Million overseas.Now If Hugh jackman as wolverine Is time traveler and this IS first
X-Men film In 3-d that helps.Also Imagne If fox has preview of Days of Future Past as
post credits scene for The wolverine similar to Captain America having the Avengers preview as post credit scene.And If Wolverine Is the time traveler Fox at end of The Wolverine credits could say Wolverine will return In X-Men;Days of future Past like what
was done for Thor and Captain America.

I really can see a +500M final boxoffice, and posibly more.

and as you say, if they release it in 3D, it can do even more.

First Class did $207,215,819 in the foreign market, so if they use actors from original trilogy more centinels... imagine how much more it would do!

Im really sure this next sequel will be the biggest x-men movie worldwide, without doubt. And this gets me really excited about the future of the franchise

If its DOFP with Sentinels and familiar characters. Then Im gonna say 600.

If its just a follow up to FC and doesnt use DOFP. Then between 400 and 450.

even if they dont use the DOFP and actors from original trilogy, the movie will probably do more than 250 millions in the foreign market

and after the great critics of First Class, the movie will do more than 200 on USA easily, and maybe more than 250, so that would put the final numbers on more than 500 millions.

even if they dont use the DOFP and actors from original trilogy, the movie will probably do more than 250 millions in the foreign market

and after the great critics of First Class, the movie will do more than 200 on USA easily, and maybe more than 250, so that would put the final numbers on more than 500 millions.

Im sticking with about a 100 million increase without DOFP and original crew.

Same kinda increase that X1 and X2 had. If it makes more that would be awesome.

First Class domestic was $146,408,305, so 100 more would be 246... that and 250 is about the same, lol

Yeah, I was talking world wide so around 450.

Last edited:
so how much do you think it would make domestic?

Inbetween 180 an 220.

I do think a DOFP storyline would make quite a bit more.

Intresting tibit from Box office Mojo

X-Men(2000)-Adjusted for Infliration would bring It In 2012 dollors 231 domesticly and It would pass Wolverine

X2(2003) Built on X-men's grosses Domesticly from 157 Million to 214 Million
Overseas from 139 Million to 192.Adjusting for Infliration would bring It
domesticly to 282 Million

X-Men The Last Stand(2006) Built on X2 domesticly 214 to 234 Million and
overseas 192 Million to 225 Million.Adjusting for Inflination brings domesticly to 283 Million.Adjusting for Inflination makes the domestic gross between X2
and Last Stand much closer.And this Is when fans,cricitis,and some of Genral audence having a mixed reaction to film.

X-Men Origins:Wolverine(2009)-First Film that did better overseas than
Domesticly with 179 at home to 193 oveseas.Adjusting for Infliration would bring Domestic to 190 Million.And all this Is after the leak of film online and after The Last Stand beguin the downturn as far as critical and fan reaction

X-Men first Class(2011)-First film that was much bigger hit overseas(207 Million) than domesticly(146 Million) although reaction to previous 2 film,the lackluster promation campagin and bad release date were all factors In Domesic

X-Men Days of future Past will undoudtably return to building on gross of previous film as X2 and last Stand did.The fact It will be more quality film than Last Stand helps too.

$400 - $500 Million Domestic sans 3D if the film's done right (needs to have at least a $250 Million budget and smart marketing campaign).

The sequel can easily make north of $400m. If Fox want to make it more of an 'event movie' they'll have to spend a bit more money on the budget, but I can't see it being more than $200m, and it doesn't need to be.

Never gonna happen dude :/. None of the other X-movies came close to that amount, and the sequel's predecessor made only a measly 140M$ domestic. We'll be lucky to hit the 400-500 range worldwide.

None of the previous movies were DOFP.

This is a story that is both epic and cerebral. Like TDK, its drama and spectacle packaged together as summer fare.

The previous films, mainly X3, barely scratched the surface of what a gargantuan scale an X-Men film can achieve.

With a $250 Million budget, good reviews, strong marketing & the star power of a Jackman/Fassbender combo, this EPIC CBM can easily level HP8 & Hunger Games' Domestic BO.

TDK, THE AVENGERS, THE HUNGER GAMES, HP8 = Scope.

Scope makes money.

This would be the first X-Men film designed to achieve scope.

None of the previous movies were DOFP.

This is a story that is both epic and cerebral. Like TDK, its drama and spectacle packaged together as summer fare.

The previous films, mainly X3, barely scratched the surface of what a gargantuan scale an X-Men film can achieve.

With a $250 Million budget, good reviews, strong marketing & the star power of a Jackman/Fassbender combo, this EPIC CBM can easily level HP8 & Hunger Games' Domestic BO.

TDK, THE AVENGERS, THE HUNGER GAMES, HP8 = Scope.

Scope makes money.

This would be the first X-Men film designed to achieve scope.

Once again you're missing the key point here: Normal moviegoers don't care about DOFP. The vast, vast majoiry of normal moviegoers haven't read DOFP. It's not a selling point for anyone but fanboys who read (and enjoyed!) DOFP. Who are a minority and not the main group FOX should be appealing to when deciding how to run the sequel.

Scope is also not necessarily a selling point; the last time X-Men did "scope" we got X3, which left a really bad taste in people's mouths and is the movie people will think of when presented with i'EPIC X-MEN MOVIE". X-Men at this point shouldn't be about "scope" anyway, it should be about character. It's easy to do both when you have one main character (TDK). It's near-impossible to do both when you have multiple (Avengers). I also don't think it's all that fair to use Hunger Games or HP in that list... those movies were phenomena because of the insanely popular books they were based on; books that appealed to bigger and more intense masses than X-Men CBs do. Harry Potter had 8 films that take place in a span of 7 years, so they had the buildup (and the book backstories) to make epic and character work. I'm not sure why you added HG to the list to be honest, it wasn't an epic movie story-wise or filming-wise and its budget was a very small 80M. And even it with all its ubiquitous fandom and positive reviews has only made a little over 660M WW.

250M budget is way too much. They really don't need that much coin, and considering how "well" XMFC1 did I doubt FOX is eager to put up that much dough. They'd have to make twice that amount, and that's just for breaking even. It's just not gonna happen. Ticket prices may be higher, but attendance is sinking. And keep in mind, studies have shown that studios are lucky to break even on 3D tickets, if XMFC 2 opts for that route. :/ A max 180-200M budget (before tax credits) is more likely. They went over budget last time because of time constraints, but this time instead of 11 months they have about 2.5 years.

And I really think you need to give up on seeing Hugh Jackman in this movie in anything more than a cameo. It's not his film, and as popular as he is I think (providing Wolverine 2 does okay) FOX would probably opt for a third film with him alone rather than add him to this cast. It would just be another dash in the list of "continuity between XM and XMFC that doesn't add up".Not his age, which most people have figured out is because the guy is perpetually in his 30s, but the fact that he spent 2 movies with Charles and Magneto and Mystique and they never once mentioned how he had worked with them/been a thorn in their side/whatever. This can be explained with "alternate timeline" BS which is kind of an awful and frustrating and bloody copout form of storytelling. And again, one more thing that they'd need to explain in a very time-limited movie. It's just not worth it to bring him on.

XMFC2 will have enough big stars to propel it, with Fassbender and Lawrence Really Big Deals right now and McAvoy being a quiet A-lister himself. Not to mention whoever they bring in as the villain. They really don't need Wolverine for this. The last two movies he was in destroyed people's faith in the franchise, and the burn from 2 utterly wretched X-Men film is the real reason XMFC was a bit of a BO flop, not because Wolverine wasn'tin it. XMFC restored a good deal of people's faith in the films, which is why its sequel will do better, but still not good enough to warrant a 250M budget.

Last edited:
^you keep thinking Jackman is some kind of nuisance to this franchise but that's highly innacurate.

Jackman in his solo film with terrible reviews, a leaked workprint & no 3D/IMAX performed much better than First Class (and both Cap & Thor).

That's star power.

If FOX really is going the DOFP route with this one, it would make no sense to exclude their most appealing character or limit him to a cameo when the story being adapted can justify having him as a protagonist.

His cameo in First Class was HUGE with the masses. Masses that would love to see a film where he and the new faction work together in a film.

Another thing, its naive to think that something as epic as DOFP would be anything like Ratner's X3.

That film BARELY scratched the surface of the scale and scope this one can reach. Again, there's no prior data to compare it to in an effort to dismiss it. This is new ground for the franchise. The coming together of both factions alone already sounds better & more appealing than a First Class sequel just focusing on the new faction.

Its clear that Whedon's film rattled the cages over at FOX & they're lookin' to make their Avengers film. They too have characters to bring together, they too have the means to go bigger, they just needed a little push & DOFP is the result.

Don't worry about continuity issues, don't worry about prior BO earnings, don't worry about the GA not knowing the DOFP comic well enough.

Marvel Studios made a solid epic film without the slightest concern over recasting, prior poor performances by some of its characters & a premise that had been done countless times before.

A post-apocalyptic world, a time-traveling Hugh Jackman, an all out Fassbender Magneto, a war with giant robots...

I'm telling you, there's a reason FOX is going this route and I agree with them 100% for doing so.

X-Men: Second Class woulda been good, X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST will be the next event film in the genre.

about Jackman and his star power....

I should remember that "his" film has characters like Gambit, young Cyclops and Emma on it.

so we shouldnt give him all the merit.

In fact, it was called X-men Origins: Wolverine, not just "Wolverine". He had help from well known x-men, so the general audience is still more interested on a X-men movie, than a solo one.

Even First Class had a bigger foreing boxoffice than Wolverine.

So lets not give Jackman too much credit anymore.

Last edited:
about Jackman and his star power....

I should remember that "his" film has characters like Gambit, young Cyclops and Emma on it.

so we shouldnt give him all the merit.

In fact, it was called X-men Origins: Wolverine, not just "Wolverine". He had help from well known x-men, so the general audience is still more interested on a X-men movie, than a solo one.

Even First Class had a bigger foreing boxoffice than Wolverine.

So lets not give Jackman too much credit anymore.

"Bigger" foreign box office? You mean bigger by a mere $14 Million with 2 years of inflation?

Remember, First Class was released to great reviews.

Origins had terrible reviews & a leaked work print yet still made $34 Million more than First Class Domestically.

And no, nobody went to see Origins for kid Cyclops, Kitsch Gambit or random diamond girl.

So let's not discredit the mass appeal of Hugh Jackman. FOX sure hasn't - hence the next Wolverine solo film.

Last edited:
Im not talking about the actors, but the characters, well known from the comics and animated series.

Fox clearly used Gambit, Emma and Scott to attrack more audience.

If you dont want to accept that, I cant do anything to change that.

Im not talking about the actors, but the characters, well known from the comics and animated series.

Fox clearly used Gambit, Emma and Scott to attrack more audience.

If you dont want to accept that, I cant do anything to change that.

Actually, the only reason those characters were in the film was to set up the "Young X-Men" film being planned at the time that eventually (thank God) became First Class.

Studios don't rely on cameos to increase profit.

Its like saying Avengers made $600 Million Domestic because of Thanos.

Hugh Jackman as wolverine was the reason for success of X-Men Origins;wolverine.Teenage CYclops are what was Teenage Emma Fross at the time were Intended to set up the original Idea for X-Men First Class.Gambit was Included to get him Into the franchise and possably setup a solo film.Same as with Deadpool.Jackman as Wolverine
and origin of the character Is what sold the film to General public.Don't forget It might have hit 200 Million domesticly If not for the leak.

despite all negative reviews Wolverine without adjusting for Infliration still beat Captain America's domestic gross and without adjusting for Infliration Thor just barely top wolverine's gross domesticly and that was because of 3-d.

Jackman as wolverine would defently bring more attention and Increases the box office total of Days of Future Past.

This film Is most likely combining Ideas Bryan Singer had for X4 with ideas he,Matthew Vaughn,and Simon Kinberg had for first Class sequel.Fox Is calling this the biggest X-Men film yet.What event could be bigger than Combining cast of trilogys together In One film based On classic X-Men storyline with Sentinles.

There are reason they are doing Days of future past as sequel to First Class.It can be huge event film.Combining casts will cause more to pay attention to this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"