• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Comics X-Men starting point (in July)

N

nantaism

Hi, I'm new to the site and fairly new to Marvel. I've been following DC for a while but I wish to delve into the Marvel world, and more specifically the X-Men. I'm just not quite sure when or where to start. I've checked out Marvel's site and they claim that X-Men #188 and Uncanny X-Men #475 are "a perfect starting point for any new reader". Now, does this have some validity or is it just Marvel trying to grab new readers? Also, what are your thoughts on the different types of X-Men (astonishing, new, ultimate, etc.)? What do you recommend? What should I stay away from? Any advice would be most helpful. Thanks.

nantaism said:
Hi, I'm new to the site and fairly new to Marvel. I've been following DC for a while but I wish to delve into the Marvel world, and more specifically the X-Men. I'm just not quite sure when or where to start. I've checked out Marvel's site and they claim that X-Men #188 and Uncanny X-Men #475 are "a perfect starting point for any new reader". Now, does this have some validity or is it just Marvel trying to grab new readers? Also, what are your thoughts on the different types of X-Men (astonishing, new, ultimate, etc.)? What do you recommend? What should I stay away from? Any advice would be most helpful. Thanks.

Welcome aboard mate!! And I hope you enjoy your Marvel experience for many years to come.

I was in the same situation as you, by not being too familiar with a lot of X-Men characters. My suggestion would be to start with some of the more popular story arcs of the past, and work your way forward. From there, you can figure out which characters within the X-verse you like, and back track a few more issues like I did. Then there's www.uncannyxmen.net, which I think is a pretty good resource on anything, and I mean ANYTHING that is X-Men. There are far too many things to tell you what's on that site, but you can look up past and present issues, characters bios, writer/artist interviews, and so much more. Then there's www.comicbookresources.com. That's for the seriously hardcore fans. You'd better know your stuff there, or they'll chew you up alive.

Good luck

To answer your question, Uncanny 475 and X-Men 188 have new creative teams, new directions, new everything. Go and buy it!!! Also, get all the Astonishing X-Men tpbs and start with the next issue!!!

i'd go with sebita said. once u have the starting point for each new run, you can determine which ones u like and which ones u dont like

Spectre722 said:
i'd go with sebita said. once u have the starting point for each new run, you can determine which ones u like and which ones u dont like
that's what i'm going to do. i've only read the astonishing series so far and i want to branch out to other x-titles.

nantaism said:

def read astonishing, its so good (it is bi-monthly now so u have time to catch up). wait until the new creative teams take over x-men, the current writer blows and each issue gets worse and worse. as for uncanny, wait until the current arc is over (its kinda weird and confusing, esp for a new reader)

but... read X-FACTOR!!!!! it is the best book out there, def go and get the first 7 issues, it is worth every dollar.

spark627 said:
but... read X-FACTOR!!!!! it is the best book out there, def go and get the first 7 issues, it is worth every dollar.

I agree 1,000%

I've been away from the X-Men comics so I haven't the hell what's going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"