Sequels X-Men The Animated Series?

TheVelvetOnion

Sidekick
Reaction score
Everyone remembers the 90's animated series... what would you feel to a reboot of the x-men film franchise so that it fell more in line with the 90's cartoon.

The X-Men
-----------
Professor X
Cyclops
Jean Grey
Wolverine
Storm
Gambit
Rogue
Beast
Jubilee
Morph (Cameo)

The Brotherhood
----------------
Mystique
Avalanche
Pyro
Blob

I was reading the comics the other day, and watching the 90's animated series. Something occured to me, the animated series although the stories was not canically told in the same order as the comics, it still picked up a large amount of elements from that.

I mean if you watch the dark phoenix saga, it's pretty much what was in the comic except for the x-men team rosta, Gambit and i think Rogue wasnt members of the x-men at the time. But there roles within the animated show especially in the dark phoenix saga only complemented the series.

And i think thats what has been the problem with the movies. They havent been close enough to the comics.

That's the problem with most comic book movies & that's why they're usually nothing more than fun popcorn movies.

I don’t see the point of basing the movies on The Animated Series. The Animated Series was nothing more than a contemporary retelling of the books, using characters and costumes popular during the early 1990s. Let the movies be an interpretation of the books for themselves, not an interpretation of an interpretation that made for a fun Saturday morning cartoon produced nearly two decades ago.

Last edited:
@ the time when X1 came out I was like where is everyone?! No Beast, Jubilee, or Gambit and I'm like you can't have a movie with 4 X-Men! I grew up watching the '90s version

I do think the '90s team could've work, but keep Jubilee,Iceman/Kitty as a student, no Morph! that's what Mystique was 4...

the team for me in X1 would have been Cyclops, Jean, Gambit(age 20-21), Storm, intro Rogue & Wolverine

the whole Bobby/Rogue relationship was so lame & by having Gambit in X1 it would have started the relationship 'tween him and Rogue

in X2 it would've been cool during the mansion raid scene if Gambit/Wolverine were taking out soldiers together

X3 add Colossus,Rogue,Iceman w/Beast teaming up

Eh, I'd rather have a new interpretation instead of interpreting an interpretation. The 90s TAS always felt like watered down Claremont to me, so to water that down even further...no thanks. Plus I like having an original spin on the material and I think even Marvel does too which is why they don't copy the stuff straight from the books anymore with their current cartoons.

Not to mention the 90s TAS line up only worked for the 90s X-Men. Gambit and Jubilee haven't been members of the team in any of the later interpretations and they aren't nearly as relevant in the comics anymore. Jubilee hasn't even been a member of the team since 1995 and she doesn't have any powers anymore. Only in the 90s TAS would those two have been big enough to gain membership on the team over characters who have been on the team for way longer in the comics like Nightcrawler, Shadowcat, Collosus, etc. They are to the 90s what Longshot and Dazzler were to the 80s (notice how Pryde of the X-Men is the only X-Men cartoon with Dazzler in it as a main character just like the 90s TAS is the only X-men Cartoon with Jubilee as a main character?).

Last edited:
I loved the animated series and enjoyed that line-up . I think i'm very partial to Gambit because of that cartoon also. I lied Jubilee in the cartoon but her cameo in the film was enough for me. Morph was a cool character but it seemed his only purpose , like mimic , was to be expendable.

There's probably too many characters in TAS for a movie.

you wouldnt be able to do a direct lift from the comics, say if you were to do a direct lift from a story like phoenix saga... you have no explination of where and what the characters doo, only the fact that one of those characters in the group has become the phoenix and the others must fight to help her.

Were as, the animated series toned down tuns of comic stories into 5 series...

There wouldnt be a big cast, just consistant and more development for the characters. If i was to sum up each series of the x-men animated series as one x-men movie.

x1 - would be about senitor kelly and the registration act, Magneto's war, Sabretooths and Wolverines rivially being explored, the extent of some of the more powerful mutants and what there capable of and the enslavement of mutants by humans which fuels the magnetos war. Leading to a pinical moment where you have the idea of sentinals.

x2 - would see futher development of Cyclops and Jean's relationship, Mr Sinisters interest in making the perfect mutant, Storm tackling her own demons from the past, Wolverine on his bid to find out more about his past turfs up some more unsavoury characters. Rogue and Mystiques mother daughter past revealed. leading up to Mr Sinisters master plan and Magneto/Xavier working together. after being villians in the first movie, they fight together in the second. the story would also have some legacy virus feel to it.

x3 - would be more focused on the phoenix saga, to which you explore more origins of each character at the same time wolverine fights his feelings for a woman who has become all powerful and at the same time is already taken by cyclops who has to stop the women he loves. The whole story would span xaviers past right up to jeans past and what happend in the previous two movies.

x4 - would possibly focus alot more on wolverine - maybe even more of a solo movie with wolverine finding about his past in Japan, however there is also an apocaylpse/the twelve kind of story happening so it could be a two seperate stories that joins together.

x5 - would be more of a story closer, with some big event leaving the x-men limited in numbers, maybe xavier dying.

Ummm...no.

Actually, I felt that the first movie captured a lot of the futuristic tone and darkness of the animated series. It wasn't as gritty as the cartoon, but I felt that there were some tonal similarities.

In terms of characters, you're talking a looot of money and time to try and fit those people on-screen. We don't want to run into what happened to X3...but, I don't really blame all of X3's faults on the number of characters, but rather, how they were used in telling the story...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"