Xbox 360 could offer Blu-Ray add on in future

Havok83

Avenger
Reaction score
Link

Microsoft isn’t so anti-Sony that it wouldn’t offer up an Xbox 360 Blu-ray solution if the format beats out HD DVD.
Xbox UK boss Neil Thompson told BBC News, “Whatever format wins it is highly likely we will offer a solution.”

Microsoft enjoys downplaying the PlayStation 3’s Blu-ray movie playback ability, often saying that Sony is forcing consumers to adopt a pricey feature that they don’t necessarily want.

"The only debate is if you want to watch Blu-ray movies and pay the extra money for that feature. We prefer to offer the consumer choice,” he added.

Microsoft currently offers a $200 Xbox 360 peripheral that plays Blu-ray rival HD DVD discs.
This isn't the first time that Microsoft has hinted that it would be willing to adapt to a Blu-ray world. Xbox head Peter Moore himself said a Blu-ray add-on would be possible, but also made clear that Microsoft is still firmly behind HD DVD.

Hah, i dont think its fair....

I mean Microsoft isnt even giving the other guys a chance to compete.

That has been stated a couple of months ago :huh:

sorry , just posted it bc the article is dated March 22nd and didnt see a thread for it

Yeah, those optional add-ons like a HD-DVD player, a webcam, and maybe a Blu-ray player are sure needed to play a game.

Wait. They aren't

Yeah, those optional add-ons like a HD-DVD player, a webcam, and maybe a Blu-ray player are sure needed to play a game.

Wait. They aren't

But Microsoft gives you a choice, unlike some other brands that shall remain nameless.

But Microsoft gives you a choice
Exactly my point.

Microsoft isn't twisting the customer's arms behind their back until the customer, through a severe amount of pain, screams "UNCLE!!! UNCLE!!! I'll buy a webcam for my 360, an HD-DVD player, and the Blu-ray player if it comes out!!!"

The products are out there for those who want them. Those who don't those products can spend their money on another game, another controller, a points card for Live Arcade, or something entirely unrelated to gaming.

Addendum, did I ever tell you I loved you? :O

Glad to see someone else recognizes a contradictory dip**** when they see one. Welcome aboard to the H.M.S. "My God, What is the world coming to?"

i wouldn't own one if i did. where else am i bashing the 360? and is it wrong to thing that the possibility of microsoft buying into sony proprietary software is just a tad bit ironic? if you're referring to the why sony will win the console wars thread, that has nothing to do with the 360 being a bad system. i was simply stating that i think sony has the advantage when it comes to who will have the biggest installed base and more complex games. and i was trying to point out the pros (why sony has a great chance) and the cons (why i don't think xbox will be on top). never once did i say that 360 wouldn't have good games. i just said that i didn't expect the production to get much larger in scale technically than gears of war or oblivion. and yes i find some of their decisions laughable, but those are their decisions, i'm trying to base my opinion within reason and not just because it's not a sony system. however, you seem to hate on everything that isn't on or isn't coming to the 360 even if it's a really good game or idea.

never once did i say xbox 360 is a BAD system. so look up the word vendetta, because it doesn't apply to me, thank you.

i'll even post a link since you decided to so graciously write a book about my posts.

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11480379&postcount=31

so really what are you and fran babbling on about?

Ya well, the PS3 IS a bad system, and if Microsoft gets ahold of this and Metal Gear 4 than there is NO reason to buy a POS3!

Ya well, the PS3 IS a bad system, and if Microsoft gets ahold of this and Metal Gear 4 than there is NO reason to buy a POS3!

lol if this is what every video game thread on this forum comes down to i'm thinking of sticking to the film threads, wow :whatever: it seems like 90% of 360 owners here are dogmatic and pertinacious as ****.

If MGS 4 heads to 360 (which is inevitable), then PS3 is almost dead...

Got rid of it almost a month ago.

lol if this is what every video game thread on this forum comes down to i'm thinking of sticking to the film threads, wow :whatever: it seems like 90% of 360 owners here are dogmatic and pertinacious as ****.

Lol I'm sorry dude but thats just my opinion based on all that I have seen from PS3. The excessive expensive, the fact that it doesn't work half the time, the inability to have a proper internet system, and the expense just to maintain one and even to use one of its main features...blue ray. The fact that you have to by a seperate cable just to use something already contained in the system blows my mind! I dono man, if Microsoft gets ahold of Blue Ray and Metal Gear 4.....PS3 is gona go the way of the dinosaur and the Dreamcast.

Lol I'm sorry dude but thats just my opinion based on all that I have seen from PS3. The excessive expensive, the fact that it doesn't work half the time, the inability to have a proper internet system, and the expense just to maintain one and even to use one of its main features...blue ray. The fact that you have to by a seperate cable just to use something already contained in the system blows my mind! I dono man, if Microsoft gets ahold of Blue Ray and Metal Gear 4.....PS3 is gona go the way of the dinosaur and the Dreamcast.

Blu-ray isn't something Microsoft can ever "get a hold of" because anyone who wants to support it can. If Microsoft starts to support Blu-Ray it will only help the PS3 and Sony. The latest interview seems to show MGS4 staying a PS3 exclusive.

That's what makes Xbox so great, I'll bet you that Sony isn't going to have any exclusives before you know it.
well every system will always have exclusives. That will never change

Exactly my point.

Microsoft isn't twisting the customer's arms behind their back until the customer, through a severe amount of pain, screams "UNCLE!!! UNCLE!!! I'll buy a webcam for my 360, an HD-DVD player, and the Blu-ray player if it comes out!!!"

The products are out there for those who want them. Those who don't those products can spend their money on another game, another controller, a points card for Live Arcade, or something entirely unrelated to gaming.

But Sony is also giving gamers newer technology, and not simply a halfassed expansion. Even if X Box 360 gets a Blu Ray movie add on - it won't play Blu Ray format games. That means all the great features you get with Blu Ray (like the uber-disk space) can't be utilized by the 360 for the main purpose it should have...play games.

On the other hand, Sony can take advantage of the technology and is not stuck with out dated tech.

Or if Blu-ray and/or HD-DVD go the way of other formats that didn't succeed, Microsoft won't be stuck with tech that failed to catch on.

Since both next-gen formats are still in their infancy, it's still too early to say that either one is essential to play games.

And I just want to find out a reason why I, as a person who plays games and has no investment in Microsoft or Sony should care about a company that wants a format to succeed.

well every system will always have exclusives. That will never change

Eh? I'm not so sure about that, game makers are more concerned about money now. It's more profitable to make a game for all three consoles.

i wouldn't own one if i did. where else am i bashing the 360? and is it wrong to thing that the possibility of microsoft buying into sony proprietary software is just a tad bit ironic? if you're referring to the why sony will win the console wars thread, that has nothing to do with the 360 being a bad system. i was simply stating that i think sony has the advantage when it comes to who will have the biggest installed base and more complex games. and i was trying to point out the pros (why sony has a great chance) and the cons (why i don't think xbox will be on top). never once did i say that 360 wouldn't have good games. i just said that i didn't expect the production to get much larger in scale technically than gears of war or oblivion. and yes i find some of their decisions laughable, but those are their decisions, i'm trying to base my opinion within reason and not just because it's not a sony system. however, you seem to hate on everything that isn't on or isn't coming to the 360 even if it's a really good game or idea.

never once did i say xbox 360 is a BAD system. so look up the word vendetta, because it doesn't apply to me, thank you.

i'll even post a link since you decided to so graciously write a book about my posts.

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11480379&postcount=31

so really what are you and fran babbling on about?

I have a Wii (and love it). End Point. End Discussion. Goodbye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"