• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Xbox 360 Failure Rate Reaches 54%

To be honest its more something to get used to, I've used a friends Xbox Live & I found it kinda awkward and difficult to navigate about to find & send messages..

I'm not saying the PSN is better or doesn't need improving because it isn't & it does in more ways than one, but the Xbox Live features are just as difficult & hard to use... especally to newcomers.

Also the PSN is free to use for all PS3 users.. at least for now :-)argh:) & the Xbox Live costs what.. $50 per year?

I see what ya mean, but i dont think you'll find too many people arguing that finding and messaging friends on the PSN is as easy or easier than Live, at least not users who own and use both consoles. I mean its just not, no matter how often you use it. I use my Playstation extensively, not as much as my 360, but enough that i know where everything is located on the XMB and its never gotten any easier. The XMB just isnt quite as integrated as it should be. Now having said that, as you said, the PSN is free, Live is just over 4 bux a month, 50 bux a year. So ya get what ya pay for, but at the rate the PSN is going, it wont be long before it catches up to Live completely or outright surpass it. Once that happens, then i see no reason to stick with Live over PSN, and i wont.

Mine's gone a while ago. I have to get it repaired now. =/ Well first blow lasted longer than most at least. it just had to happen when i was trying to get Live didn't it. :cmad:

I got the E74 error in Nov of 2008. Is there anyway that I can fix it now? I didn't what it was until this very moment of reading this thread? What kind of proof do you have to have that you owned an Xbox?

You just need to register it with the serial number on the console.

It was registered. The only thing is I don't have it anymore. I got rid of it, because at the time it was just another error. I wish it had broken a little later.

I got the E74 error in Nov of 2008. Is there anyway that I can fix it now? I didn't what it was until this very moment of reading this thread? What kind of proof do you have to have that you owned an Xbox?

It was registered. The only thing is I don't have it anymore. I got rid of it, because at the time it was just another error. I wish it had broken a little later.

If you don't have the Xbox anymore, how can you expect them to fix it? You need to send it in to them for them to fix it.

Last edited:
I've had mine since Dec. 05 when it launched in Europe. I didn't have any problems with it, until last month when it froze 3 times and then I got the 3 red lights. I sent it for repairs (had to pay 90euros) on March 22 and I got it back today.

They sent me a "new" 360. My old 360 was never hot, even after playing games for hours. This one was already hot when I first turned it on to set it up. I downloaded Game Room, tried one game and it froze in the first seconds of gameplay. I waited for about 30mins and then I tried a different game (from Game Room again). It froze again after 1min. The next time I tried Splosion Man. It froze after 2 mins. Then I downloaded the Splinter Cell demo, played it until the end and after that I tried the Blur beta. It froze after 2 laps and I haven't turned on my 360 ever since.

Do you think I'll be getting the 3 red lights soon? It sucks because not only did my previous 360 work perfectly fine for 4+ years, but also because I JUST got this "new" one today. I don't want to have to send it back again, although I'll probably have to.

You know...my 360 is having a problem reading discs. I'll start up the system, or put in a game...and I'll need to re-open the tray a few times before it reads the disc.

I'm really starting to get worried about it, now.

I've had mine since Dec. 05 when it launched in Europe. I didn't have any problems with it, until last month when it froze 3 times and then I got the 3 red lights. I sent it for repairs (had to pay 90euros) on March 22 and I got it back today.

They sent me a "new" 360. My old 360 was never hot, even after playing games for hours. This one was already hot when I first turned it on to set it up. I downloaded Game Room, tried one game and it froze in the first seconds of gameplay. I waited for about 30mins and then I tried a different game (from Game Room again). It froze again after 1min. The next time I tried Splosion Man. It froze after 2 mins. Then I downloaded the Splinter Cell demo, played it until the end and after that I tried the Blur beta. It froze after 2 laps and I haven't turned on my 360 ever since.

Do you think I'll be getting the 3 red lights soon? It sucks because not only did my previous 360 work perfectly fine for 4+ years, but also because I JUST got this "new" one today. I don't want to have to send it back again, although I'll probably have to.

As painful as it is, id get on the phone with MS asap and let them know they shipped you a faulty unit. Thats garbage that that happened man. The RRoD is bad enough, they shouldnt be sending you busted units.

You know...my 360 is having a problem reading discs. I'll start up the system, or put in a game...and I'll need to re-open the tray a few times before it reads the disc.

I'm really starting to get worried about it, now.

Both my old 360 and my sisters 360 red ringed with no warning. Just went to cut it on and there they were red rings. Not saying you dont need to worry, haha, ya might wanna go ahead and get a coffin ready.

lmfao....yeah, I know. It's a slight annoyance, because it still reads only sometimes takes a while. It's the only problem I've had with the thing in quite sometime.

I'm going to double check and make sure the warranty is still up. I guess if it breaks down, it Red Ringing would be best because then I wouldn't have to pay.

I just hope it can last until after I beat Spinter Cell Conviction.

Same thing happened to me. My first 360 red-ringed and they sent me a refurbished unit. It had a lot of freezing problems like you describe, and it red-ringed after just a couple of days. They sent me a brand new 360 to replace that one and they included some Microsoft points or a game or something for my trouble.

Also, you shouldn't have had to pay for repairs. RROD and E74 errors they replace or repair for free.

I can understand complaining if you've just bought a game console and it breaks after using it a few weeks but if it breaks after years of having it then what's to assume it didn't just break from playing games on it so much?

Same thing happened to me. My first 360 red-ringed and they sent me a refurbished unit. It had a lot of freezing problems like you describe, and it red-ringed after just a couple of days. They sent me a brand new 360 to replace that one and they included some Microsoft points or a game or something for my trouble.

Also, you shouldn't have had to pay for repairs. RROD and E74 errors they replace or repair for free.
I had to pay because the warranty had expired. Unless I'm mistaken, they gave 3 years warranty for RRoD and E74 errors, but I've had mine for over 4 years. I now have 1 year (from what I've been told) starting from the day they sent me the "new" one.

I'm going to try playing some more later. See if I get any errors. At least I won't have to pay this time and it'll be better if it happens now, because maybe I'll have another one back before May.

It's not a great time for my 360 to die. Splinter Cell: Conviction, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Halo Reach beta. It sucks...:cmad:...OK, I'm good. :oldrazz:

I can understand complaining if you've just bought a game console and it breaks after using it a few weeks but if it breaks after years of having it then what's to assume it didn't just break from playing games on it so much?

That's not a very good excuse. I could hook up my Super Nintendo that I've had for nearly 20 years and it would work fine.

If you're talking about me, I'm definitely not complaining about my 360 getting the RRoD. I've had it for over 4 years and it worked perfectly until last month. I know others that have changed 360s multiple times in a year. I'm very lucky and happy I didn't get it sooner.

What sucks is that the "new" 360 they sent me has problems (keeps freezing) and I've only had it for a few hours. It freezes after a few mins of gameplay.

Yeah...my original Xbox is a ****ing tank. That thing has never given me any problems, whatsoever at all.

I think if your going to mass produce a videogame system, you should probably assume people will use it alot.

I had to pay because the warranty had expired. Unless I'm mistaken, they gave 3 years warranty for RRoD and E74 errors, but I've had mine for over 4 years. I now have 1 year (from what I've been told) starting from the day they sent me the "new" one.

I'm going to try playing some more later. See if I get any errors. At least I won't have to pay this time and it'll be better if it happens now, because maybe I'll have another one back before May.

It's not a great time for my 360 to die. Splinter Cell: Conviction, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Halo Reach beta. It sucks...:cmad:...OK, I'm good. :oldrazz:

Oh okay. I was under the impression that they had gotten rid of the three year stipulation.

Turns out it's probably my hard drive. I tried every step on Xbox.com about the freezing problem and one of them was to remove the hard drive. I transfered my profile and Splosion Man to a usb drive and removed the hard drive. I played for about 25 minutes and it didn't freeze.

I'm going to test this with some retail games as well, because every game that froze was either a demo/beta or an arcade game. I'll try it with and without a hard drive. If it still freezes with one and doesn't without one, then I'll ask for a replacement. It had it as an option at xbox.com. Hopefully they don't take too long to replace hard drives. At least it's not (probably) the 360's fault.

From my experiences, MS is usually pretty quick about sending you items. Be it a red ringed system, a transfer cable etc etc. My sisters Xbox was returned in a week and a half, and my 360 was returned in just over two but that was during Christmas, so i was shocked it was sent that fast. They also sent me a transfer cable, that got here in like a week and half.

It's definitely the hard drive. I called them and they said that the warranty for the hard drive is only for a year and that the 1 year warranty I got from the repair is only for the console. They did told me to format the drive though and I hadn't thought about it.

I transfered all of my files to a 16GB USB drive, formated the hard drive and downloaded an arcade game to try. It froze after 5-6 minutes of gameplay. It never froze when playing from the USB though. It also never froze when I played Ninja Gaiden II (although I hadn't installed it) with the hard drive on. The only thing I didn't try, was playing a game with DLC stored on the hard drive to see if it would freeze. Doesn't matten anyway, since it freezes when playing any arcade game or demo.

I'm going to have to buy a new hard drive now.

and now I don't think it's the hard drive anymore. I was playing the blur beta and it froze during my 2nd race. It used to freeze during the 1st, when playing from the hard drive. I tried some arcade games and while it took longer than before, it still froze. I tried a retail game (although it was an Xbox original) and it didn't freeze.

I'm going to try a 360 retail game tomorrow and see if it freezes. I kinda hope it freezes, because if it doesn't, then I have no idea what could the problem be. Even though it has frozen over 15 times, it still won't give me an error. Is it the hard drive? Is it the USB drive? Maybe this "new" 360 they sent me doesn't like demos and arcade games. Either way, I'm calling MS tomorrow.

Another thing that sucks is that while they gave me the "new" 360, the licenses (for purchased Arcade games, DLC, etc) weren't transfered (like Xbox.com says it should) and all my arcade games show up as trials, when I'm offline and I'm assuming I won't be able to access DLC when offline, either. So I transfered them myself following the instruction at Xbox.com.
I'm mentioning this because if they send me another console again, or if I buy another one (although that's not going to happen, especially since I paid to have mine repaired), I won't be able to transfer any licenses again, since they only let you do it once every year. I guess it's not a big deal since my internet connection is always on, but still.

Sorry about my long post, but it's late and I'm a little frustrated. It's going to suck when my copy of Splinter Cell arrives and I won't be able to play it. The Halo: Reach beta is starting soon, as well. Even if the 360 doesn't freeze when playing retail games, it will definitely freeze with the beta, like it does with Blur and the arcade games.

Anyway...I wrote a lot of...things...:oldrazz: :csad:...

Last edited:
My Ps3 No Problems... Xbox Broken Twice... and Microsoft is not Helpful
We Pay Hard Earned Money & Get Crappy Service... Thats why i Bootlegg My Ass Off With Xbox Games..!!

I visited my little bro the other day and he was playing Fall Out and he had this 'special' gun that was basically like a 'kill all' or a nuke of some sort. He goes,

"Watch this"

**BOOM*** (Screen shakes violently, green pixels all over the place, game freezes)
Xbox Live crashes
Red Ring of Death
:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back