Your mobile phone is stolen? Don't get mad, get even.

Morg

Grumpy mod
Staff member
Reaction score
http://blogs.usatoday.com/technologylive/2008/09/your-mobile-pho.html

Maverick Secure Mobile has a new product that will make life miserable for the crook. When the bad guy tries to use your phone or changes the SIM (Subscriber Identify Module) card, there are a number of steps you can take to pester him. You can disable the stolen phone remotely, track the phone's use and retrieve your data.

How? When you install the Maverick Mobile application, you provide the phone number of a second device (called a "receiving device") on which to receive any information from the stolen phone. When you remotely retrieve your address book contacts or other data, it goes to the receiving device via SMS or text message.

Now here's where it gets even more interesting. If you call the stolen phone with the "receiving device" it turns on a speaker and microphone on the stolen phone remotely so you can spy on any calls being made. (The thief usually cannot detect this.) And this may be the best part: you can remotely send a piercing alarm to the stolen phone that the crook can only turn off by removing battery. The alarm goes back on when he puts the battery back in. The program, now in beta, is coming soon.

By Ed Baig

How about, dont be a such a dumbass to let your phone be taken in the first place, problem solved

it's a bit sad to stalk someone who has stolen your phone...

surely just having a remote tracking system is good enough for the police authorities

How about, dont be a such a dumbass to let your phone be taken in the first place, problem solved

Never happen to me, I keep my phone clipped to a cord around my neck so it can hang right in front of me, safer too consider I don't have to worry about it clipped to my belt and falling out

I keep mine if my front pocket. So it's fairly safe. Plus I think I could feel someone reaching their hand into front pocket.

I have to admit, those features are pretty nifty. I'll never need them since my phone is on me at all times, but it's still pretty interesting.

Honestly, if someone steals from me, all I'm trying to do is get my **** back and see some swift justice done, I ain't trying to hold no grudge for months messing with them.

All you really need to do is write down the serial number of your phone, and if someone knabs it you call the provider up and say block the phone, and it then becomes a nice paper weight for someone!

I keep mine if my front pocket. So it's fairly safe. Plus I think I could feel someone reaching their hand into front pocket.

While your concerned about your cellphone mr bad guy has focused all his efforts on your wallet.

It works by putting the number into the program, right? So...what if you put in a number that wasn't yours? Wouldn't you just turn it into a straight-up stalking device, listenting to thier private conversations and all that creepiness?

a better way to avoid your phone getting stolen is having an older model, nobody would be interested

Honestly, if someone steals from me, all I'm trying to do is get my **** back and see some swift justice done, I ain't trying to hold no grudge for months messing with them.

:up: Definitely. I don't generally have time to screw with someone who stole my phone.

it's a bit sad to stalk someone who has stolen your phone...

surely just having a remote tracking system is good enough for the police authorities

The police are too busy dealing rapes, murders and robberies to track phone snatchers.

I would **** with these people hard. I would do everything to make their lives HELL. Steal from me, hmmm... Suffa the conseeeeequences!

i can see a market for parent's spying on their children's calls with this...

a better way to avoid your phone getting stolen is having an older model, nobody would be interested

That's why I carry this one! I keep it in a backpack! :o

Good luck proving it, you say "theft" i say "found it on the ground."
you can say that about any form of theft?

besides, removing the sim card and replacing it or using the phone is evidence of ill play, you're supposed to hand in things of that sort, not claim them as your own.

That is all good and well but what prevents others doing the same thing to your phone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"