• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Your political opinions

Schlosser85

Civilian
Reaction score
- The federal government should have an across the board plan to combat COVID-19 including exponentially ramping up testing and contact tracing, and masks required in public places, and regionally specific restrictions and stay at home orders as circumstances dictate, and always guided by the data.

I admit I do not have a well developed grasp of economics, but insofar as I understand it I would count myself as socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

- I am a capitalist. I do not begrudge anyone the amount of money they’ve made and do not believe in “caps” on it. I reject Bernie Sanders’ comment that “billionaires should not exist” and do not believe it is up to the government to legislate how much is “too much money”, which I find an alarming potential slippery slope. However, I also believe in fair tax rates and social safety nets, and I believe we both can and should have universal healthcare as every other developed nation in the Western world does.

- Vaccines for preventable illnesses for children should be mandatory. GMOs should be labeled.

- Space exploration should be federally funded, in cooperation with commercial enterprises such as SpaceX as applicable.

- I do not support mandatory military service.

- The United States should remain in NATO, the UN, G7, and the Paris Peace Accord.

- Relations with Cuba should be normalized.

- I believe in business and environmental regulation and that businesses cannot simply be trusted to do the right thing.

- I do not support hydraulic fracking. Nature preserves should be off limits to oil drilling, or private sale. The government should stop construction of the Dakota Access pipeline. Offshore oil drilling should be reduced as actionable, not expanded.

- I believe climate change is the greatest existential threat to life itself on Earth and that we should immediately rejoin the Paris Peace Accord and work in a federation of nations to devote serious efforts toward combatting this threat, including getting away from reliance on fossil fuels and toward renewable clean energy.

- I believe in full legal equality and protections for LGBT Americans and in working with the European Union to support LGBT equality worldwide and sanction countries which persecute their LGBT citizens.

- All people should be protected from employment discrimination, or any other kind of discrimination for that matter, on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or disability, but I do not support Affirmative Action, slavery reparations, or mandated diversity quotas. Equal pay for equal work regardless of gender or race should be required.

- Sweatshops are a valid economic resource and drone strikes are a valid military option (boo, hiss!)

- I believe private prisons should be illegal.

- I hesitate to firmly say the Electoral College should be disbanded, but I do think our general election system is overly convoluted and in particular primaries should be more standardized.

- I support military assistance to the Ukraine against Russia, and supporting South Korea and Japan against North Korea.

- I support a two state Israeli/Palestinian solution.

- I support DACA. Also deporting eleven million undocumented immigrants is neither practical nor economically prudent. While the benefit they provide in the form of cheap labor helping keep costs lower could be compromised by a pathway to citizenship, I acknowledge such a pathway is the fair thing to do.

- I do not support a trade war with China or the tariffs which have damaged American farmers, but I do support tax incentives for businesses which invest in America, and forfeiture of those incentives for businesses which outsource jobs.

- I support “America First”, insofar as our economic and security interests taking first priority. This does not exclude working with other nations in the causes I have mentioned, working with NATO and the G7 to check Putin’s Russia, etc, which is in our own interests.

- I support full legalization of marijuana and it being taxed and regulated like cigarettes and alcohol. Which as a few states have learned, there is damn good money in for state budgets. However I do not support an across the board decriminalization of drugs.

- I believe assisted suicide should be a valid and legal option for those suffering from terminal illness, with regulations and limitations.

- I believe in strict separation of church and state.

- I do not support the government regulating social media, which to me is an alarming potential slippery slope.

- All good faith whistleblowers should be accorded protections from retribution.

- While I would not personally burn the American flag, doing so should be freedom of expression and not illegal.

-While privately funded schools can make their own rules, any school receiving government funding should be committed to anti-discrimination guidelines.

- Drawing of Congressional districts should be controlled by an independent non-partisan commission. Political parties independently gerrymandering districts to skew elections in their favor should be illegal.

- Gun show loopholes should be closed and military-grade assault weapons should not be available for civilians.

- Anyone—-Women, Transgender, etc——who can pass military training fair and square with neither discrimination nor favoritism or different treatment should have the right to serve.

- I do not believe the Confederate flag should be flown by government buildings. Organizations such as NASCAR etc can make their own decisions.

- I support capital punishment.

- I am pro-choice and support funding of Planned Parenthood.

- Those imprisoned for drug problems should be in rehabilitation programs rather than simply incarcerated. Ex convicts who have completed their sentence should have their voting rights restored and receive assistance with reacclimation to society, finding gainful employment, and drug rehab programs if applicable, to help reduce recividism. I do not support voting rights for those still incarcerated.

- I support more transparency regarding cops’ records and complaints against them, I believe bodycams should be mandated to always be worn and on, and I believe there should be a nationalized standard rather the piecemeal patchwork we have today. Chokeholds should probably be illegal except as a last resort in self-defense.

- I believe the government should pardon Edward Snowden.

- I do not support a border wall, which is both exorbitantly costly and ineffectual. Funding could be better spent on increased manpower.

- I do not support family separation policies or detention centers, at least not as the Trump administration is using the latter as de facto concentration camps.

- Yes, universal healthcare would include illegal immigrants as a basic human right.

- The US should incentivize high skilled immigration with increased visas, not reduced.

- Presidential candidates should have to pass a civics test.

- Any American citizen of age should be able to run for President.

- Foreign lobbyists or Americans working as such (Paul Manafort) should not be allowed to participate in US political elections.

- Presidential candidates should be required to show their tax returns.

- If you’re old enough to die for your country, you’re old enough to drink and smoke.

Last edited:
Edit: meh I didn't do this right.

Last edited:
Economy: I believe in a Social Democracy. A free market economy with a social safety net, universal healthcare, corporate responsibility, worker's right and living wage.

Liberty: I believe in Civil Liberties. Freedom of speech, freedom of press, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion, right to privacy, banned torture and due process. These are enshrined in our Bill of Rights.

Drug War: Legalize soft drugs. Decriminalize hard drugs. The drug war is not working. Soft drugs are safer than alcohol and hard drugs can be decriminalized where addicts can avoid prison but traffickers and dealers still sent to prison.

Prison and Education: we need to copy the Scandinavian systems in both cases where they focus on reforming criminals and teaching kids critical thinking.

Racism: We need to teach kids about the worst atrocities in history and the benefits of a diverse meritocracy. I think those are currently lacking.

The Environment: I support the Green New Deal.

Police Brutality: I support body cams on police and ending qualified immunity which allows cops to avoid lawsuits.

Immigration: Obama focused on deporting violent criminals not families and migrant workers. This is ideal imo.

Edward Snowden: I also agree he should be pardoned.

The Kurds: I believe the Kurds deserve their own independent nation that can serve as a green zone to help fight against ISIS and other jihadist groups.

Abortion: I think abortion should be available but discouraged. And sex ed, birth control and condoms should be handed out like candy.

I'm against capital punishment. There are lots of innocent people in prison.

Economy: I believe in a Social Democracy. A free market economy with a social safety net, universal healthcare, corporate responsibility, worker's right and living wage.

Liberty: I believe in Civil Liberties. Freedom of speech, freedom of press, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion, right to privacy, banned torture and due process. These are enshrined in our Bill of Rights.

Drug War: Legalize soft drugs. Decriminalize hard drugs. The drug war is not working. Soft drugs are safer than alcohol and hard drugs can be decriminalized where addicts can avoid prison but traffickers and dealers still sent to prison.

Prison and Education: we need to copy the Scandinavian systems in both cases where they focus on reforming criminals and teaching kids critical thinking.

Racism: We need to teach kids about the worst atrocities in history and the benefits of a diverse meritocracy. I think those are currently lacking.

Police Brutality: I support body cams on police and ending qualified immunity which allows cops to avoid lawsuits.

Immigration: Obama focused on deporting violent criminals not families and migrant workers. This is ideal imo.

The Kurds: I believe the Kurds deserve their own independent nation that can serve as a green zone to help fight against ISIS and other jihadist groups.

Abortion: I think abortion should be available but discouraged. And sex ed, birth control and condoms should be handed out like candy.

I agree with most everything you said. I would take an extra step with criminal justice reform: prison system should be modeled after the Scandinavian system which focuses on rehabilitation and not punishment. From an entry level though, the criminal justice system should focus on a restorative justice model to bring reconciliation where possible between perpetrators and victims, while maintaining a victim-centric philosophy.

I support reparations in order to assist in creating a level playing field that exists as a byproduct of decades of policies such as redlining.

I believe in the Establishment Clause’s separation of church and state as it ultimately protects people of faith (and respects those who would not characterize themselves as people of faith.)

I believe that churches have the potential to power amazing growth and healing in communities if they would cease to allow themselves to be manipulated into a republican lobbyist group bent on legislation of morality.

notsodifferent.gif

I've laid this out elsewhere, but I see things a little differently. While I wouldn't abolish private enterprise, I think industries that support our basic needs should be nationalized. By that I mean energy, water, agriculture, transportation and infrastructure, and that a LOT more money needs to go into our educational system and basic research. Real election reform needs to be implemented as does immigration reform. All of the above begs for a national plan for our economic well being rather than a scattershot approach. I don't have a problem with some people having more money than others, but also think that in a fundamental, structural way, how people are paid in private industry is inherently unfair. Our basic freedoms should all remain intact.

If the above were implemented, there would be far reaching changes and some, I'm sure, would be unintended and possibly negative. My biggest concern with all of this is how we set up a political structure that truly represents the interests of the citizenry. I don't know that we've ever gotten that right yet, but creeping closer to it is acceptable.

- I am a capitalist. I do not begrudge anyone the amount of money they’ve made and do not believe in “caps” on it. I reject Bernie Sanders’ comment that “billionaires should not exist” and do not believe it is up to the government to legislate how much is “too much money”, which I find an alarming potential slippery slope. However, I also believe in fair tax rates and social safety nets, and I believe we both can and should have universal healthcare as every other developed nation in the Western world does.

- The United States should remain in NATO, the UN, G7, and the Paris Peace Accord.

- I believe climate change is the greatest existential threat to life itself on Earth and that we should immediately rejoin the Paris Peace Accord and work in a federation of nations to devote serious efforts toward combatting this threat, including getting away from reliance on fossil fuels and toward renewable clean energy.

Reasonable views and, seemingly, focuses, health and the environment as particular government priorities.

Do you think other NATO countries should contribute more to their defense, so that the U.S. wouldn't have to spend so much?

Agreed, public punishment for lawbreaking should be done only by governments.

- I do not support a trade war with China or the tariffs which have damaged American farmers, but I do support tax incentives for businesses which invest in America, and forfeiture of those incentives for businesses which outsource jobs.

How do you see tariffs as being really different from selective tax incentives/tax penalties? Both are and both can harm producers and/or consumers (and also help other producers).

- I do not support the government regulating social media, which to me is an alarming potential slippery slope.

Agreed, I find it disturbing that there's so much support for doing so and indifference to that it could lead to regulation of other media.

- The US should incentivize high skilled immigration with increased visas, not reduced.

Do you think any other kind of immigration should be decreased along with doing that or should we only have increases?

What's the big benefit of that? Showing that some or many candidates are rich, pay little in taxes and are not charitable? I think that's already widely known and not very cared about.

- If you’re old enough to die for your country, you’re old enough to drink and smoke.

While I'm reluctant to have more, or even continue, controls, smoking and more so drinking, particularly by young adults, can and do harm other people as well.

Social media absolutely needs regulations. However, the regulations they need have nothing to do with content they want on their sites.

Abortion: Pro choice but the number of abortions each year is far too high. We need to find out why women are getting pregnant when they don’t want to be. Is it lack of contraception, lack of understanding of how to use it correctly? I’ve heard that some women feel unloved and hope a baby will change it. The reasons are many and not just carelessness.

Church and State: Neither should create laws that restrict the other. Churches should not pay taxes.

Race relations: From my experience, all sides have misunderstandings about each other. Blacks think whites are all rich and racist. We know how whites see blacks. Black history and current events needs to be taught in school. Considering the violence, drug abuse, lack of good education or jobs in black communities, it’s no wonder that there is such despair. Some sort of psychological help needs to be provided.

Economics: Damned if I know.

Environment: The crisis of our time. Even with the shut down of world economy’s, little has changed. Carbon emissions must stop and carbon already released needs to be removed. I heard of such a factory in Saudi Arabia but many more are needed. Education of southern Asian countries needs to happen.

I would consider myself left of centre or left-wing in the context of the UK Politics so I've no idea what I'd be in the US as liberalism is considered "left" but here it's "centre".

Economy: Nationalise key sectors of the economy such as energy, transport, mail, telecommunications etc. Private companies should be encouraged to become co-operatives. I'd actually agree with the idea of a maximum wage as a set multiple of the average workers salary.

Foreign Affairs & Defense: Reverse Brexit and encourage the further federalisation of the European Union. Non-interventionism though I do think a much tougher line needs to be taken against China over COVID and Hong Kong. The west should increase economic and diplomatic pressure on China. Support Kurdish independence and multi-lateral Nuclear disarmament.

Social Policy & Education: Support Gay & Trans rights, legalise abortion, marijuana and decriminalise drugs use with a focus on treating it as a health issue. Tuition free college education though there should be a cap on the number of people attending university.

I would consider myself left of centre or left-wing in the context of the UK Politics so I've no idea what I'd be in the US as liberalism is considered "left" but here it's "centre".

Economy: Nationalise key sectors of the economy such as energy, transport, mail, telecommunications etc. Private companies should be encouraged to become co-operatives. I'd actually agree with the idea of a maximum wage as a set multiple of the average workers salary.

Foreign Affairs & Defense: Reverse Brexit and encourage the further federalisation of the European Union. Non-interventionism though I do think a much tougher line needs to be taken against China over COVID and Hong Kong. The west should increase economic and diplomatic pressure on China. Support Kurdish independence and multi-lateral Nuclear disarmament.

Social Policy & Education: Support Gay & Trans rights, legalise abortion, marijuana and decriminalise drugs use with a focus on treating it as a health issue. Tuition free college education though there should be a cap on the number of people attending university.

Yeah. Basically agree. I've heard for years that private enterprise outperforms government run programs. My experience working at both private industry and the University of California tells me otherwise. While, government CAN be bloated, proper oversight can fix this. Create budgets for various entities and make them stick to them or let those managing said entities move on and excell (love "proper" English thanks to one of my favority authors JRR Tolkien) somewhere else. The tricky part is the oversight and political hackery.

That being said, look at the administrative overhead of social security/medicare (government run) and the administrative overhead of health care (generally privatized). The former is at about 2% and the latter, while difficult to quantify, is probably between 18 and 35%. The fact of the matter is there is an economy of scale and private industry can't compete with reasonably well run government programs. Just think of how much money is being wasted in our healthcare system (much of it profits) that could be put to better use. Of course, doing as I suggest, would cause a tremendous upheaval. People with power and means don't give that up easily.

I feel alienated by far leftists and unable in good conscience (or intelligence) to be a Republican although I have certain “Republican” views, so I am shifting to considering myself more of a moderate/centrist Democrat, although I consider myself very liberal on social issues.

Suffice to say as a candidate I prefer and align myself more with Joe Biden than with Bernie Sanders, although I believe we can and should have universal healthcare.

The only things that bother me about Biden are I wish he was a little less of a gaffe machine and wasn’t 200 years old.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure how to interpret this, but Political Compass quiz just stuck me here.

chart

Last edited:
- The federal government should have an across the board plan to combat COVID-19 including exponentially ramping up testing and contact tracing, and masks required in public places, and regionally specific restrictions and stay at home orders as circumstances dictate, and always guided by the data.

I admit I do not have a well developed grasp of economics, but insofar as I understand it I would count myself as socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

- Vaccines for preventable illnesses for children should be mandatory. GMOs should be labeled.

- Space exploration should be federally funded, in cooperation with commercial enterprises such as SpaceX as applicable.

- I do not support mandatory military service.

- Relations with Cuba should be normalized.

- I believe in business and environmental regulation and that businesses cannot simply be trusted to do the right thing.

- I do not support hydraulic fracking. Nature preserves should be off limits to oil drilling, or private sale. The government should stop construction of the Dakota Access pipeline. Offshore oil drilling should be reduced as actionable, not expanded.

- I believe in full legal equality and protections for LGBT Americans and in working with the European Union to support LGBT equality worldwide and sanction countries which persecute their LGBT citizens.

- All people should be protected from employment discrimination, or any other kind of discrimination for that matter, on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or disability, but I do not support Affirmative Action, slavery reparations, or mandated diversity quotas. Equal pay for equal work regardless of gender or race should be required.

- Drone strikes are a valid military option.

- I hesitate to firmly say the Electoral College should be disbanded, but I do think our general election system is overly convoluted and in particular primaries should be more standardized.

- I support military assistance to the Ukraine against Russia, and supporting South Korea and Japan against North Korea.

- I support a two state Israeli/Palestinian solution.

- I support DACA. Also deporting eleven million undocumented immigrants is neither practical nor economically prudent. While the benefit they provide in the form of cheap labor helping keep costs lower could be compromised by a pathway to citizenship, I acknowledge such a pathway is the fair thing to do.

- I support “America First”, insofar as our economic and security interests taking first priority. This does not exclude working with other nations in the causes I have mentioned, working with NATO and the G7 to check Putin’s Russia, etc, which is in our own interests.

- I support full legalization of marijuana and it being taxed and regulated like cigarettes and alcohol. Which as a few states have learned, there is damn good money in for state budgets. However I do not support an across the board decriminalization of drugs.

- I believe assisted suicide should be a valid and legal option for those suffering from terminal illness, with regulations and limitations.

- I believe in strict separation of church and state.

- All good faith whistleblowers should be accorded protections from retribution.

- While I would not personally burn the American flag, doing so should be freedom of expression and not illegal.

-While privately funded schools can make their own rules, any school receiving government funding should be committed to anti-discrimination guidelines.

- Drawing of Congressional districts should be controlled by an independent non-partisan commission. Political parties independently gerrymandering districts to skew elections in their favor should be illegal.

- Gun show loopholes should be closed and military-grade assault weapons should not be available for civilians.

- Anyone—-Women, Transgender, etc——who can pass military training fair and square with neither discrimination nor favoritism or different treatment should have the right to serve.

- I do not believe the Confederate flag should be flown by government buildings. Organizations such as NASCAR etc can make their own decisions.

- I support capital punishment.

- I am pro-choice and support funding of Planned Parenthood.

- Those imprisoned for drug problems should be in rehabilitation programs rather than simply incarcerated. Ex convicts who have completed their sentence should have their voting rights restored and receive assistance with reacclimation to society, finding gainful employment, and drug rehab programs if applicable, to help reduce recividism. I do not support voting rights for those still incarcerated.

- I support more transparency regarding cops’ records and complaints against them, I believe bodycams should be mandated to always be worn and on, and I believe there should be a nationalized standard rather the piecemeal patchwork we have today. Chokeholds should probably be illegal except as a last resort in self-defense.

- I believe the government should pardon Edward Snowden.

- I do not support a border wall, which is both exorbitantly costly and ineffectual. Funding could be better spent on increased manpower.

- I do not support family separation policies or detention centers, at least not as the Trump administration is using the latter as de facto concentration camps.

- Yes, universal healthcare would include illegal immigrants as a basic human right.

- Presidential candidates should have to pass a civics test.

- Any American citizen of age should be able to run for President.

- Foreign lobbyists or Americans working as such (Paul Manafort) should not be allowed to participate in US political elections.

I am new to these forums and this website so please bear with me if there are formatting issues, etc.

I am personally a social democrat, but that is not what this reply is about. I agree with nearly everything you said, but I have to ask a question about your stance on capital punishment. How severe do you think crimes should be for one to be executed? I personally am open to all views on this topic but feel like only the most heinous of crimes warrant the death penalty, for example serial killers and serial rapists, not people like Brendon Benard.

I am new to these forums and this website so please bear with me if there are formatting issues, etc.

I am personally a social democrat, but that is not what this reply is about. I agree with nearly everything you said, but I have to ask a question about your stance on capital punishment. How severe do you think crimes should be for one to be executed? I personally am open to all views on this topic but feel like only the most heinous of crimes warrant the death penalty, for example serial killers and serial rapists, not people like Brendon Benard.

Generally speaking, only murder. Though I’m not necessarily opposed to serial pedophiles/rapists being eligible for it.

- COVID-19: one size fits all is a bad idea. Empower the state govs to handle and the Federal assist where needed.

- Economics: free market capitalism is my preferred system.

- I'm against government spending in general. I believe in most cases the free market functions better.

- I do not support bail outs or stimulus money of any kind, for corporations or private citizens.

- I believe freedom is the highest value for humanity and the one that attains and promotes the human race to its best ability.

- I'm okay with universal healthcare being available, but I believe individuals should be able to opt out of it and pay for their own private option, or no option, if they choose.

- The United States should be neutral in regards to foreign policy and not push our political ideals onto other countries.

- I believe in having the smallest government possible that works and is functional, which supports the freedom of the individual.

- I remain unconvinced about climate change. I don't think we know everything we need to know about it, but I don't begrudge anyone's rights to work towards environmental responsibility. As long as all nations are held to account, I have no issue.

- Equal protection under the law, two thumbs up. All aboard for equal pay for equal work. And all people should have an equal opportunity to pursue whatever makes them happy. However, I do not buy into the notion that people are equal. People are wildly and vastly different across the world. As the great Thomas Sowell once said..."a man isn't equal to himself on different days."

- I'm okay with private unions. I'm against government unions and firmly believe they create a political conundrum.

- I think the US Military needs to be the strongest in the world by tenfold.

- I believe the Electoral College would be less important if states' rights were stronger.

- I believe the voting franchise should be restricted. Too many people voting have nothing to lose from the laws they promote and enact. For instance, 43% of voters don't pay federal income tax, yet these folks vote for the laws and lawmakers that determine how much I should pay in tax. That's a problem.

- Illegal immigration has one viable solution: move all manufacturing out of China and into Mexico. Its would create great jobs down in Mexico and slow down the illegal immigration into the US. Its too obvious of a solution but no one is willing to make that call.

- I also do not agree with any the regulation of social media, while at the same time I believe social media companies tiptoe along the borders of section 230 protections. "Publisher or platform" needs to be revisited and reviewed in my opinion.

- I believe the right to bear arms is probably the most important amendment and needs to be protected at all costs.

- I believe police officers need more money, not less. We should have fully funded SWAT teams. The job of an officer is far more nuanced and complicated than most will ever realize.

- I believe deeply in Congressional term limits and feel those would solve a lot of the problems in Washington.

- A third, viable political party needs to emerge soon.

Church and State: Neither should create laws that restrict the other. Churches should not pay taxes.

If the church or religious organization take stances to suppress folks or flagrantly violate the law, they should be subject to financial penalties.

That's my opinion. Religion should be strictly apolitical.

I'm Canadian so my views will be a bit different:

-I hate libertarianism. It doesn't work. I'm for more government regulation when it comes to the environment and overriding parental "rights" for the good of the community (vaccines, gay/straight clubs at schools, required medical care, etc).

-climate change is an effing problem that we need to solve and right now

-obviously universal health care. I live in a country that has it and I would not trade it for the American system at any time

- no death penalty. Decriminalize drugs. Penalize johns and pimps but not the sex workers

- I believe in following statistics and proven systems. More humane prisons, less severe punishments. More rehabilitation

-Immigration is necessary. Deal with it.

- higher minimum wage and universal basic income. Also tax the rich to all hell

- I don't believe in any political candidate receiving donations or money from outside sources for any campaign

- subsidized day care

- subsidized university tuition. If you don't want "foreigners" being your doctor, then make it cheaper for citizens to become one

- legalize abortion across the board and amp up the sex education classes in junior high and high school. Mandatory classes.

- no tax breaks for big corporations. Ever.

- close down all coal mines and retrain workers into different industries

- cap insurance rates

- mandatory minimum 4 weeks of holidays and sick time. No one should have to delay surgery because they won't get paid while they're away

- I don't believe that people should own homes if they don't live in the area at least half the year. I've seen too many local people get priced out of housing (rent and buy) because rich a-holes from other countries buy vacation homes and leave them vacant or rent them out at inflated prices

- free public transit for low income

- better mental health programs paid for by society

- tax the **** out of religious establishments.

-
I remain unconvinced about climate change. I don't think we know everything we need to know about it, but I don't begrudge anyone's rights to work towards environmental responsibility. As long as all nations are held to account, I have no issue.

The big polluters such as China need to be tackled on it. It's all very well getting smaller countries to deal with their carbon emissions, but if you're leaving China and other big countries unchecked, then all you're doing essentially is fixing leaky taps on the Titanic AFTER it has hit the iceberg.

Illegal immigration has one viable solution: move all manufacturing out of China and into Mexico. Its would create great jobs down in Mexico and slow down the illegal immigration into the US. Its too obvious of a solution but no one is willing to make that call.[

That is a very good idea. However, working conditions also need to be set. China has very poor working conditions. Don't most illegal immigrants come to the US because of the jobs and better working conditions?

I believe the right to bear arms is probably the most important amendment and needs to be protected at all costs.

Totally agree. I never used to see the point of guns but this year has shown why the right to bear arms is very important.

I believe police officers need more money, not less. We should have fully funded SWAT teams. The job of an officer is far more nuanced and complicated than most will ever realize.

Totally agree. I also think officers should wear mandatory body cams, not least because when there is disputed incidents the body cam can act as an independent witness, particularly in cases where the suspect is black.

I believe deeply in Congressional term limits and feel those would solve a lot of the problems in Washington.

Agreed. Question: Do congress people have to get elected back in every so often or is it a case of once they're in, they're in for life?

A third, viable political party needs to emerge soon.

Agreed. There needs to be a middle-ground.

A couple of other points:

Universal healthcare- The biggest thing you want to avoid is where America gets flooded with healthcare tourists eg people from outside the US heading there for the free healthcare. As such, I think each state should have it's own healthcare system for its state citizens which enables those registered state citizens to be eligible for free healthcare in that state. Medical insurance should be optional, however if you are out of your registered state and you have a medical emergency, your insurance will pay for the healthcare you receive in that different state.

Education- Critical race theory should be banned from all schools. Students that are behind such as in their reading levels, ability to write etc should be given extra support/partake in catch up programmes that enable them to be at the appropriate reading and writing levels.

Also there should be opportunities for adults who have left school without qualifications to gain their qualifications through adult learning courses. Education level can set the course for life outcomes for better or worse.

Abortion- A major debate. Abortions should not be happening at 9 months, that's just plain wrong. It shouldn't take a woman 8/9 months to decide whether or not she wants the baby. If she decides she doesn't want the baby at 9 months, put it up for adoption. Abortion shouldn't be illegal (otherwise you open up the risk of backstreet abortionists) but neither should a woman be a regular at a clinic. A woman should also be advised throughout the process to ensure she is making an informed decision and won't regret it later.

Food standards/Animal welfare/Cosmetics- Improve standards across the board.

Covid 19- States need to reopen. Facemasks should be worn instore but can be taken off outside. Cinemas should put a perspex screen between each seat so that each cinema goer is protected on both sides. Alternatively, have a seat booking system which enables social distancing eg when a block of seats is booked, two seats on either side of that block are blanked out meaning there is a two seat gap between one group and the next group. For restaurants, have a perspex divide surrounding each table which means that each group of diners is essentially in their own booth. Leave gaps between bookings so proper cleaning can be carried out.

Elections- Toughen election procedures and increase safeguards to minimise any risk of fraud.

- COVID-19: one size fits all is a bad idea. Empower the state govs to handle and the Federal assist where needed.

- Economics: free market capitalism is my preferred system.

- I'm against government spending in general. I believe in most cases the free market functions better.

- I do not support bail outs or stimulus money of any kind, for corporations or private citizens.

- I believe freedom is the highest value for humanity and the one that attains and promotes the human race to its best ability.

- I'm okay with universal healthcare being available, but I believe individuals should be able to opt out of it and pay for their own private option, or no option, if they choose.

- The United States should be neutral in regards to foreign policy and not push our political ideals onto other countries.

- I believe in having the smallest government possible that works and is functional, which supports the freedom of the individual.

- I remain unconvinced about climate change. I don't think we know everything we need to know about it, but I don't begrudge anyone's rights to work towards environmental responsibility. As long as all nations are held to account, I have no issue.

- Equal protection under the law, two thumbs up. All aboard for equal pay for equal work. And all people should have an equal opportunity to pursue whatever makes them happy. However, I do not buy into the notion that people are equal. People are wildly and vastly different across the world. As the great Thomas Sowell once said..."a man isn't equal to himself on different days."

- I'm okay with private unions. I'm against government unions and firmly believe they create a political conundrum.

- I think the US Military needs to be the strongest in the world by tenfold.

- I believe the Electoral College would be less important if states' rights were stronger.

- I believe the voting franchise should be restricted. Too many people voting have nothing to lose from the laws they promote and enact. For instance, 43% of voters don't pay federal income tax, yet these folks vote for the laws and lawmakers that determine how much I should pay in tax. That's a problem.

- Illegal immigration has one viable solution: move all manufacturing out of China and into Mexico. Its would create great jobs down in Mexico and slow down the illegal immigration into the US. Its too obvious of a solution but no one is willing to make that call.

- I also do not agree with any the regulation of social media, while at the same time I believe social media companies tiptoe along the borders of section 230 protections. "Publisher or platform" needs to be revisited and reviewed in my opinion.

- I believe the right to bear arms is probably the most important amendment and needs to be protected at all costs.

- I believe police officers need more money, not less. We should have fully funded SWAT teams. The job of an officer is far more nuanced and complicated than most will ever realize.

- I believe deeply in Congressional term limits and feel those would solve a lot of the problems in Washington.

- A third, viable political party needs to emerge soon.

618N681cVzL._AC_UL1500_.jpg

I'm Canadian so my views will be a bit different:

-I hate libertarianism. It doesn't work. I'm for more government regulation when it comes to the environment and overriding parental "rights" for the good of the community (vaccines, gay/straight clubs at schools, required medical care, etc).

-climate change is an effing problem that we need to solve and right now

-obviously universal health care. I live in a country that has it and I would not trade it for the American system at any time

- no death penalty. Decriminalize drugs. Penalize johns and pimps but not the sex workers

- I believe in following statistics and proven systems. More humane prisons, less severe punishments. More rehabilitation

-Immigration is necessary. Deal with it.

- higher minimum wage and universal basic income. Also tax the rich to all hell

- I don't believe in any political candidate receiving donations or money from outside sources for any campaign

- subsidized day care

- subsidized university tuition. If you don't want "foreigners" being your doctor, then make it cheaper for citizens to become one

- legalize abortion across the board and amp up the sex education classes in junior high and high school. Mandatory classes.

- no tax breaks for big corporations. Ever.

- close down all coal mines and retrain workers into different industries

- cap insurance rates

- mandatory minimum 4 weeks of holidays and sick time. No one should have to delay surgery because they won't get paid while they're away

- I don't believe that people should own homes if they don't live in the area at least half the year. I've seen too many local people get priced out of housing (rent and buy) because rich a-holes from other countries buy vacation homes and leave them vacant or rent them out at inflated prices

- free public transit for low income

- better mental health programs paid for by society

- tax the **** out of religious establishments.

There should be an ultra like or love button on the hype.

- I believe greed is the motivation for private enterprise and leads to poverty and ridiculous income inequality. ANY restrictions on labor unions leads to furthering the goals of those who wish to exploit and control the work of others.

I would love to hear why public sector administrative overhead is lower than the private sector’s if the latter is so much more efficient.

That is a very good idea. However, working conditions also need to be set. China has very poor working conditions. Don't most illegal immigrants come to the US because of the jobs and better working conditions?

This would be up to Mexico ultimately. Naturally I would certainly hope they would advocate for the best conditions for their people. But jobs alone would significantly slow illegal immigration. Not only that, we would save an absolute ton of money on freight....no need to put product on a ship and sail across an ocean, just put it on a truck and drive it across the border. Its a win all the way around.

Question: Do congress people have to get elected back in every so often or is it a case of once they're in, they're in for life?
Yes they have to be reelected for each term, but much like the President has limits, term limits are good for a healthy nation.

Critical race theory should be banned from all schools.
Agreed and it never should have ever been promoted. Its racism by a different name, pointed in a different direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"