• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your Top 5 Trilogies

The Big 3
Indiana Jones
Star Wars OT
LOTR

DarK Knight Trilogy

The others I can think of are not quite as good or have one weak film or 2 merely good films within the 3.

Dollars Trilogy
Raiders-Temple-Crusade
Toy Story
The Godfather
Before Trilogy

Star Wars (OT)
The Dark Knight Trilogy
LOTR Trilogy
Indiana Jones (OT)
Back to the Future Trilogy

Mentions to Terminator, Alien, and Godfather, with two masterful films, but the third's were not enough for me to make the cut.

The Big 3
Indiana Jones
Star Wars OT
LOTR

DarK Knight Trilogy

The others I can think of are not quite as good or have one weak film or 2 merely good films within the 3.

Toy Story man I dare anyone to say it has a weak film.

They're great and none of the films are weak but not in the mould of an Indy, LOTR or Star Wars. I loved them at the time but have barely rewatched them while the others I have seen hundreds of times and will continue to watch till I'm dead or blind. :yay:

One was good for it's time, but the animation is incredibly dated now.

The third one, while not bad, is pretty overrated in my opinion.

Anyone watched the Before Trilogy? I heard it was realy good. Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time... also seems interesting.

Anyone watched the Before Trilogy? I heard it was realy good.
It's fantastic. The first one's just ok - a bit more of a straightforward romance, but a good one. The 2nd one, however, is perfection and the 3rd one damn near matches it. In all honesty, that trilogy's probably better than a couple of the ones on my list overall, but I'm a genre enthusiast so my preferences tend to lean that way, lol.

I probably have to rewatch the Toy Story movies, but i seem to be in the minority that vastly prefered the 2nd film to the other two, i don't know, it simply spoke more to me, and the hype was so large for the 3rd film that i was actualy expecting to like it better than i did.

Either way, that one and the Lord of the Rings trilogy are the ones where the quality is the most consistent, however i still have to watch some of the most popular trilogies like Imagination, Before, Once Upon a Time and Colors. Here's what i can rate so far:

1. The Lord of the Rings
2. Toy Story
3. The Godfather (I didn't find the 3rd one bad enough to drag the other 2 down)
4. Man with No Name
5. Original Star Wars Trilogy

Man with no name's the only one that truly improved with each instalment, the first one was good, but then the Trilogy turned into greatness midway For a Few Dollars More (or 20 minutes in).

The Godfather Trilogy
Back to the Future Trilogy
LOTR Trilogy
The Dollars Trilogy
Toy Story Trilogy
Star Wars Original Trilogy.

Lord of the Rings
Cornetto Trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End)
Iron Man
TDKT
Toy Story

Honorable mention:
Die Hard 1-3

Star Trek 2-4 should be mentioned. Can't believe it hasn't been.

This is a discussion for personal top 5, not THE top 5. I'm kind of surprised no one has that one. I do agree that there are better, though. I don't even have it in my top 5.

My personal favorites:

Star Wars Original Trilogy
Back to the Future
The Dark Knight
Lord of the Rings
Indiana Jones 1980's

Honorable mention:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Star Trek 2-4
Fast and Furious 4-6 (Justin Lin's Trilogy)

Yeah, you're right, my bad, forgot that bit for a moment. The thing is that most forget Genesis was a Trilogy inside the Star Trek Film Series.

Yeah, you're right, my bad, forgot that bit for a moment. The thing is that most forget Genesis was a Trilogy inside the Star Trek Film Series.

I made a list of all the trilogies I've seen that I can recall, which turned out to be about fifteen. Some of them are stretches, like Trek, Indy, Pirates, and Fast/Furious - where they're longer, continuous franchises. At least Trek, Pirates, and FF actually tell a complete arc over the course of three movies. Indy doesn't even do that, and Skull connects to the old movies more than the old movies connect within themselves. Indy still qualified, though, as personally favored in my top 5. I have a more frequent desire to sit down and watch any of those three than I do the three Trek movies.

As my first post in this thread seems to have gone walkies, I'll go again...

1) Nolan's TDK trilogy

2) Star Wars Trilogy (1977-1983)

3) Godfather Series I-III

4) Indiana Jones (1981-1989)

5) First 3 original Star Trek Films

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy
The Fellowship of the Ring | The Two Towers | The Return of the King

2. The Dark Knight Trilogy
Batman Begins | The Dark Knight | The Dark Knight Rises

3. Toy Story Trilogy
Toy Story | Toy Story 2 | Toy Story 3

4. Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy