Zack Snyder’s Rebel Moon | Netflix

Saw some clip where he says the sex and violence of the longer cuts will alter the earnestness of the PG13 cuts into a satirical commentary on the genre. Irdk what he's doing but it sounds very, very funny. I can't wait.
Snyder:

257e742f9b156c36ff0a260f0e4fe04fc6cf49d3.gif

Last edited:
Don't worry we still have Twilight of the Gods and Netflix can be rid of him... Until Sony Paramount gets him.

1714077146370.gif

Then he can spearhead Sony's Marvel universe.

This is the compromise they reached. Snyder delivered Netflix 2-hour versions but also gets to release a director's cut later. Not really hard to understand.

It sounds like what he did was make one long movie but split it up into two parts.

I just feel like it's redundant on a streamer like Netflix. Also, sounds like the strategy is not paying off based on reviews and viewership.

I keep hearing more about Baby Reindeer than I do Rebel Moon.

Watching the movies you can tell they're cut down and the violence has been skimped on. I still enjoyed them but think the DC's will be much fuller experiences.

Still doesn't make sense to do it this way of course.

Watching the movies you can tell they're cut down and the violence has been skimped on. I still enjoyed them but think the DC's will be much fuller experiences.

Still doesn't make sense to do it this way of course.

I think that they're actually at an appropriate length. I don't see a need for more sex -- there's only one couple. The action was good. Some of the story points could use more fleshing out but I'm perplexed as to how he's going to double the length or whatever.

I hope we get more rebel moon as well. I assume that is the numbers are good enough for Netflix but they might not like the criticism.

I wonder if Twilight of the gods will be fun.

I think that they're actually at an appropriate length. I don't see a need for more sex -- there's only one couple. The action was good. Some of the story points could use more fleshing out but I'm perplexed as to how he's going to double the length or whatever.

I hope we get more rebel moon as well. I assume that is the numbers are good enough for Netflix but they might not like the criticism.

I wonder if Twilight of the gods will be fun.

I think more of some of the side characters will be good. And more of Kora and her past. I think the fight scenes will benefit from the higher rating as well as at times they felt blunted.

Nemesis in particular had a poor showing in the final battle. But yes, I definitely want more from this universe.

Snyder unintentionally explains why most directors aren't their own DPs.

You’ve served as your own DP on your last three films. Has that job changed anything about the way you direct when compared to your days with your longtime DP Larry Fong?

Don’t get me wrong, I loved my days with Larry, and I wouldn’t trade them for the world. But I was a director-cameraman in the commercial world for 10 years, and it was kind of the way I normally worked. So [being the DP] doesn’t change the way I [work], but the main thing is that I’m just much more present from moment to moment. I have to be. When you’re just directing, there’s time for self-reflection. As they’re lighting, there’s time to think about the way the scene is going to go and stuff. And in the current working conditions, I’m 100 percent in all the way, all the time, and there’s no resting or thinking. You have to be very prepared. It’s difficult to shoot a movie, and I thank God I have John Clothier, my camera operator. I operated the second camera and did plenty of operating. So it’s an exhaustive and difficult thing, but I really love doing it. I love lighting and it’s super fun.

That's so funny... I finally picked up the Dawn of the Dead 4K Blu-ray and rewatched some of it yesterday and honestly, I'm shocked to see how much he's fallen since. Based on his two Rebel Moon movies, you wouldn't in a million years think Snyder was capable of directing a movie like that even with Gunn's extremely sharp and clever script. I guess a lot of it has to do with the cinematography holding up so well and it's probably because it was shot on film (plus the color grading looks so pristine and colorful).

But yeah, it was an amazing transfer by Scream Factory. Definitely worth getting if you want to show off your tv.

Part Two is unfortunately another Zack of sh*t. It took me a week to get through the last 30 minutes; I just didn't want to go back to this drab world inhabited by some of the least interesting characters in sci-fi history. I called them cardboard cutouts in the last installment, and they're definitely living up to the definition, even if they get some more (awkwardly delivered) backstory. Poor Djimon Hounsou, for two decades, his involvement in a big-budget film has been like an omen of ill tidings, and these Rebel Moon films do nothing to change that. I hope he's at least compensated adequately for his involvement in all of these godless duds. Slow-motion farming? I've seen it all, and I never want to see it again...

...until the extended cuts, which I'll most probably watch. I'm a firm believer in the Ultimate Edition of BvS being a better film than the dull as dishwater theatrical cut. Better pacing, stakes, and a considerable amount of plot holes and logical fallacies introduced in the theatrical version are smoothed over. While it's still a deeply flawed movie, it's watchable to me after the additions. Perhaps the same will happen here, but this soil is at least equally as sour as the aforementioned theatrical BvS. It'll take a lot to fix this. Some of it is incurable, but just the adjustment of tone with the added violence and extended action scenes might help to combat this bizarre tone of unintentionally funny and entirely biteless self-seriousness. It remains to be seen.

Oh, but you better believe I'm going to send a box of flaming poop to the Netflix headquarters if these longer versions are referred to as the Snyder Cuts. There's only so much the human species can take.

Last edited:
He should go back to actual cinematographers for his movies. Rebel Moon looks like ****.

I don't think the issue was that he couldn't do the job of the DP and that's why the movie looks the way it does. He went out of his way to make the movie look like it did by creating a special lens. He likes the look and if he hired a DP then that DP would have probably still had to use that same lens and camera. And I highlighted that part of the interview because Snyder himself admits that by being his own DP, he had less time to focus on directing the scenes.

Sometimes you wonder, how bad the script for Rise of Skywalker is.
But then you wake up and realise, that there could be an even worse SW-movie, if they greenlit Zack Snyders pitch

Sometimes you wonder, how bad the script for Rise of Skywalker is.
But then you wake up and realise, that there could be an even worse SW-movie, if they greenlit Zack Snyders pitch
Rise of Skywalker was still better than that crummy Dual of the Fates script some people keep praising.

Either way, rumor is going around that Rebel Moon is getting junked as a series after the DCs come out so no sequels. That's fine. This was a failed experiment and I completely get why Lucasfilm rejected it (rightfully so).

Army of the Dead did the same kind of thing where they released two films from the franchise within a year, then some animated thing got scrapped and sequels for both seemingly paused.

The main upside for Netflix here seems to be that they're getting 3 releases from one production budget, assuming both extended cuts drop at the same time. It'll be interesting to see the release strategy there. They pretty unceremoniously dropped Part 2. Snyder has been saying its the better version, or whatever, since before either part dropped. They're definitely gonna try to manufacture a Snyder Cut situation, which would be pretty gross considering the actual tragic backstory to all of that.

That’s been funny seeing the lead up to Part 2 with Snyder basically saying in every single interview, “wait to watch the directors cut in August” lol

Army of the Dead did the same kind of thing where they released two films from the franchise within a year, then some animated thing got scrapped and sequels for both seemingly paused.

The main upside for Netflix here seems to be that they're getting 3 releases from one production budget, assuming both extended cuts drop at the same time. It'll be interesting to see the release strategy there. They pretty unceremoniously dropped Part 2. Snyder has been saying its the better version, or whatever, since before either part dropped. They're definitely gonna try to manufacture a Snyder Cut situation, which would be pretty gross considering the actual tragic backstory to all of that.

But how? Everybody knows the director's cut is coming in just a few months. There's no fight to be had here.

But how? Everybody knows the director's cut is coming in just a few months. There's no fight to be had here.

I'm not referring to that aspect of it nor do I think it's about that for Netflix. It's just about throwing the term "Snyder Cut" in front of Rebel Moon because people recognize it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"