Zack Snyder’s Rebel Moon | Netflix

Sometimes you wonder, how bad the script for Rise of Skywalker is.
But then you wake up and realise, that there could be an even worse SW-movie, if they greenlit Zack Snyders pitch

Rise of Skywalker <<<< the SW prequels, the last Jedi, John Carter, Valerian, Jupiter Ascending, Rebel Moon, Chronicles of Riddick, etc.

It's the nadir of Hollywood space operas, perhaps tied with Battlefield Earth. The plot is nonsensical from top to bottom, nothing fits, nothing works.

On par with Batman v Superman and Terminator Genysis.

Rise of Skywalker was still better than that crummy Dual of the Fates script some people keep praising.

Either way, rumor is going around that Rebel Moon is getting junked as a series after the DCs come out so no sequels. That's fine. This was a failed experiment and I completely get why Lucasfilm rejected it (rightfully so).

Part of the strength of Duel of the Fates is that it would have been a less racist plot. Abrams just made Finn, Poe, and Rose into dumb sideshow characters that ask stupid questions. A lot of people including myself wanted a story where Finn had something meaningf to do.

Genuine diversity in movies is something that I personally value highly.

Last edited:
I'm not referring to that aspect of it nor do I think it's about that for Netflix. It's just about throwing the term "Snyder Cut" in front of Rebel Moon because people recognize it.
Netflix makes a lot of really bad and really good movies, which is inevitable given their high risk high reward strategy. I think they're just taking a lot of risks and seeing if anything works. This was a legitimate risk and they got to make 4 movies out of 166 million which improves the odds further.

One issue is that space opera is in my opinion their biggest weakness. Rebel Moon didn't do well and neither did Kattee Sackhoff's Another Life. I did like Spaceman though.

Last edited:
Army of the Dead did the same kind of thing where they released two films from the franchise within a year, then some animated thing got scrapped and sequels for both seemingly paused.

The main upside for Netflix here seems to be that they're getting 3 releases from one production budget, assuming both extended cuts drop at the same time. It'll be interesting to see the release strategy there. They pretty unceremoniously dropped Part 2. Snyder has been saying its the better version, or whatever, since before either part dropped. They're definitely gonna try to manufacture a Snyder Cut situation, which would be pretty gross considering the actual tragic backstory to all of that.

I still hope he makes another Army of the Dead movie. I have no interest in actually watching it; I just want him to try and explain why some of the zombies are robots, lol.

I still hope he makes another Army of the Dead movie. I have no interest in actually watching it; I just want him to try and explain why some of the zombies are robots, lol.

Lol weren't there alien aspects in it too? Dude loves to just toss **** in a movie because it could potentially be something. That might be my least favorite Snyder film. It's so dumb.

I thought it'd be hard to be an emptier husk of garbage than the first film, but this one really excelled past that in spades. For someone who thinks he's this auteur in blockbuster filmmaking that is doing things differently and better than his contemporaries, he's just as cookie cutter as everyone else.

I thought it'd be hard to be an emptier husk of garbage than the first film, but this one really excelled past that in spades. For someone who thinks he's this auteur in blockbuster filmmaking that is doing things differently and better than his contemporaries, he's just as cookie cutter as everyone else.
He's the Tarantino to all those Nolans out there. Denis Villeneuve wishes Dune was this good. :o

Snyder should end up in director jail already. Far more talented women and POC have been sidelined for a single flop. It's time for Hollywood's poster but for white men failing upward to not have a career. The guy should go back to commercials as that is the only fit place for his vapidness.

Got around to watching it. I found this to be less offensive than Part One but somehow more boring, which is remarkable for a something that's supposed to be more action-oriented of the two. Overall I'd rank the two parts similar to Army of the Dead, which is not as blatantly bad as Sucker Punch but still just kinda...there.

Finally watched it myself. Maybe it was the low low expectations going in but I had a decent time with it in a bad B-movie kind of way. Narratively the movie's a mess and Zack really thinks we care about these characters more than we do. But once the second hour kicks in and the action gets going I actually found myself getting engaged with it on a base thrills, B movie level.

lol at how the movie ends, Zack clearly thinks he's getting sequels to this. Then again, its Netflix so they may just be crazy enough to give it to him if the numbers are decent enough.

Snyder should end up in director jail already. Far more talented women and POC have been sidelined for a single flop. It's time for Hollywood's poster but for white men failing upward to not have a career. The guy should go back to commercials as that is the only fit place for his vapidness.
That is actually a good point to make.
Look at Patty Jenkins whos career almost got ruined after Wonder Woman 2.

While Snyder is making stuff left and right...bad stuff not seemingly his fans care about.
Like seriously, Rebel Moon 2 has even less hype around it than the first...nobody outside of this Thread talks about the movie it feels like.

Netflix just wanted to cash in on the #snydercut phenomenon, thats all. They knew what they were doing. They knew what they bought into and they're going to play into that heavily when they release his director's cuts this summer. And then after that i anticipate they're going to cut ties with him.

Netflix just wanted to cash in on the #snydercut phenomenon, thats all. They knew what they were doing. They knew what they bought into and they're going to play into that heavily when they release his director's cuts this summer. And then after that i anticipate they're going to cut ties with him.

We'll really have to see if Rebel Moon Part Two has a big drop-off compared to the first in the next few weeks.

Rise of Skywalker <<<< the SW prequels, the last Jedi, John Carter, Valerian, Jupiter Ascending, Rebel Moon, Chronicles of Riddick, etc.

It's the nadir of Hollywood space operas, perhaps tied with Battlefield Earth. The plot is nonsensical from top to bottom, nothing fits, nothing works.

On par with Batman v Superman and Terminator Genysis.
I think Rise of Skywalker is the worst Star Wars movie but let's not kid ourselves by saying it's worse than Rebel Moon. Even though it comes off as "What if a Star Wars script was written by A.I." I'd still take it over Rebel Moon any day.

We'll really have to see if Rebel Moon Part Two has a big drop-off compared to the first in the next few weeks.
The first part didn't even do that well anyway. The fact that there was almost zero promotion for the second one says a lot.

On that we would need the numbers i would say.
But for what Snyder has planned and all, and considering how fast Netflix is pulling the plug on stuff...i cant imagine that this Relationship can go much longer.

At best these movies were in the top 3 for a week i think, after that...nothing.
Nobody talks about it, promotes it etc.
And the Reviews arent that good either for both.

So unless the Numbers are incredible good, which i doubt...i cant see Netflix hanging onto Snyder for that much longer.
Rebel Moon didnt blow up as much as Netflix assumed.
It wouldnt surprise me if they cancel all the stuff that is in the works.

On that we would need the numbers i would say.
But for what Snyder has planned and all, and considering how fast Netflix is pulling the plug on stuff...i cant imagine that this Relationship can go much longer.

At best these movies were in the top 3 for a week i think, after that...nothing.
Nobody talks about it, promotes it etc.
And the Reviews arent that good either for both.

So unless the Numbers are incredible good, which i doubt...i cant see Netflix hanging onto Snyder for that much longer.
Rebel Moon didnt blow up as much as Netflix assumed.
It wouldnt surprise me if they cancel all the stuff that is in the works.

Rebel Moon Part One

Week 1 (Dec 18-24) - 23.9M views / 54.1M hours - #1 in English films
Week 2 (Dec 25-31) - 34M Views / 77M hours - #1 in English films
Week 3 (Jan 1-7) - 11.1M views / 25.1M hours - #2 in English films
Week 4 (Jan 8-14) - 3.9M Views / 8.9M hours - #8 in English films
Back to #5 on April (15-21) with 5.5M views and 12.5M hours (more than Week 4) - #5 in English films

Rebel Moon Part Two

Week 1 (April 15-21) - 21.4M views/42.2M hours - #1 in English films

netflix top 10.jpgnetflix top 10_2.jpg

So, we don't know how many views Part One got during the first 91 days because it dropped out of the top 10 after week 4 but during its first four weeks (24 days) it accumulated 72.9M views (165.1M hours viewed). We'll have to see how Part Two will do in the following weeks to get a clear picture if the pre-existing audience stuck around for Part Two. 23.9M vs 21.4M views in week 1 is actually a really good drop but Part Two might crater after that. We'll get last week's numbers tomorrow, I think.

My takeaway is that if Netflix originally expected both parts to reach the top 10 then the movies obviously fell short. But if you consider how many views Netflix will get from both movies combined with the director's cuts still on the way then it's not too shabby. Especially when you consider that Rebel Moon cost only 166-200M to produce. If Rebel Moon Part Two accumulates around 70M views like the first (and we only have data for the first 24 days) then that puts Rebel Moon on equal footing with The Gray Man (which also cost 200M to produce).

Netflix paid 450M just to get the rights to The Glass Onion and the third upcoming film and then spent another 40M to produce The Glass Onion. So 490M total spent on the Knives Out franchise so far. Rebel Moon is probably a much better investment for Netflix, comparatively.

If Part Two performs on par with the first then I can actually see Netflix continuing with the series.

A Snyder Facebook group showed up on my feed randomly and one person said “Both Rebel Moons are going to be on everyones masterpiece once the Directors Cut's come out this Summer.”

Sure buddy

I have no doubt that the edgy director's cuts will have even more hilarious stuff in them.

I think Rise of Skywalker is the worst Star Wars movie but let's not kid ourselves by saying it's worse than Rebel Moon. Even though it comes off as "What if a Star Wars script was written by A.I." I'd still take it over Rebel Moon any day.

Never read the old EU, have you. Because let me tell you, TROS wasn't AI, that was Keven J Anderson as hell.

Never read the old EU, have you. Because let me tell you, TROS wasn't AI, that was Keven J Anderson as hell.
You have written that multiple times.

In reality there's as much Anderson in The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens as there is in Rise of Skywalker, and ultimately the latter isn't an Anderson film, it's an Abrams film. "Lightspeed jumping" for example, is something so stupid only Abrams could come up with it.

Maybe you're saying that to goof off and I don't get it because I'm on the spectrum. If so, my fault.

Last edited:
A Snyder Facebook group showed up on my feed randomly and one person said “Both Rebel Moons are going to be on everyones masterpiece once the Directors Cut's come out this Summer.”

Sure buddy

At the very least, maybe they’ll actually feel like Heavy Metal like he’s been promising. Cause there’s nothing Heavy Metal about either of these films except for one scene of some muscly dude riding a bird.

Rebel Moon Part One

Week 1 (Dec 18-24) - 23.9M views / 54.1M hours - #1 in English films
Week 2 (Dec 25-31) - 34M Views / 77M hours - #1 in English films
Week 3 (Jan 1-7) - 11.1M views / 25.1M hours - #2 in English films
Week 4 (Jan 8-14) - 3.9M Views / 8.9M hours - #8 in English films
Back to #5 on April (15-21) with 5.5M views and 12.5M hours (more than Week 4) - #5 in English films

Rebel Moon Part Two

Week 1 (April 15-21) - 21.4M views/42.2M hours - #1 in English films

View attachment 88889View attachment 88891

So, we don't know how many views Part One got during the first 91 days because it dropped out of the top 10 after week 4 but during its first four weeks (24 days) it accumulated 72.9M views (165.1M hours viewed). We'll have to see how Part Two will do in the following weeks to get a clear picture if the pre-existing audience stuck around for Part Two. 23.9M vs 21.4M views in week 1 is actually a really good drop but Part Two might crater after that. We'll get last week's numbers tomorrow, I think.

My takeaway is that if Netflix originally expected both parts to reach the top 10 then the movies obviously fell short. But if you consider how many views Netflix will get from both movies combined with the director's cuts still on the way then it's not too shabby. Especially when you consider that Rebel Moon cost only 166-200M to produce. If Rebel Moon Part Two accumulates around 70M views like the first (and we only have data for the first 24 days) then that puts Rebel Moon on equal footing with The Gray Man (which also cost 200M to produce).

Netflix paid 450M just to get the rights to The Glass Onion and the third upcoming film and then spent another 40M to produce The Glass Onion. So 490M total spent on the Knives Out franchise so far. Rebel Moon is probably a much better investment for Netflix, comparatively.

If Part Two performs on par with the first then I can actually see Netflix continuing with the series.

Glass Onion may not have been profitable for Netflix (I don't know) but one can argue that it's helped build their brand. It's ok for a studio to lose money on a film or a TV series of it helps build the brand. Alternatively, it may be that they did make a mistake spending 500 million on Glass Onion, and thus it's not a good example.

Does Rebel Moon help build the brand? Perhaps. I want to believe that but it seems unlikely. Rebel Moon did bad among the mainstream critics, with a comically low score of 13%. It even did bad among right-wing YouTube critics, I checked yesterday and FilmThreat were laughing about how much they hate the director, and we know RedLetterMedia hates the director.

The viewership numbers are good, and will be even better once the director's cuts come out. There are many reasons why that may be:
- Audiences are starved for space opera;
- Snyder's fan base, including myself, which apparently makes me a "cult member";
- Casual film watchers might have different tastes. Recall we got thousands of articles over a decade about how "Avatar has made no impact, we don't need a sequel, nobody cares!" and then the movie made over 2 billion.

On the bright side, Rebel Moon shows significant growth from Snyder as a director. Gone is the racism and imperialism of 300 -- it's actually inverted now. There's more world building, more character work. The action was easier to follow than e.g. the Zod fight at the end of MoS. The plot was more coherent than BvS.

But I won't be surprised if that's not enough. And Netflix cancels things all of the time. I would like to see more Rebel Moon but it's too bad.

Last edited:
I didn't really read much of his stuff other than the "Tales of the Bounty Hunters/Jabba's Palace/Cantina" that he edited but was mainly other authors. Did he contribute a lot of Clone Emperor material back in the day?

I didn't really read much of his stuff other than the "Tales of the Bounty Hunters/Jabba's Palace/Cantina" that he edited but was mainly other authors. Did he contribute a lot of Clone Emperor material back in the day?
No, the Clone emperor plot is from Tom Veitch's Dark Empire comics.

Glass Onion may not have been profitable for Netflix (I don't know) but one can argue that it's helped build their brand. It's ok for a studio to lose money on a film or a TV series of it helps build the brand. Alternatively, it may be that they did make a mistake spending 500 million on Glass Onion, and thus it's not a good example.

Does Rebel Moon help build the brand? Perhaps. I want to believe that but it seems unlikely. Rebel Moon did bad among the mainstream critics, with a comically low score of 13%. It even did bad among right-wing YouTube critics, I checked yesterday and FilmThreat were laughing about how much they hate the director, and we know RedLetterMedia hates the director.

The viewership numbers are good, and will be even better once the director's cuts come out. There are many reasons why that may be:
- Audiences are starved for space opera;
- Snyder's fan base, including myself, which apparently makes me a "cult member";
- Casual film watchers might have different tastes. Recall we got thousands of articles over a decade about how "Avatar has made no impact, we don't need a sequel, nobody cares!" and then the movie made over 2 billion.

On the bright side, Rebel Moon shows significant growth from Snyder as a director. Gone is the racism and imperialism of 300 -- it's actually inverted now. There's more world building, more character work. The action was easier to follow than e.g. the Zod fight at the end of MoS. The plot was more coherent than BvS.

But I won't be surprised if that's not enough. And Netflix cancels things all of the time. I would like to see more Rebel Moon but it's too bad.
ezgif-6-fbaf014045.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"