$1.4 million worth of Marvel Comics collectibles recovered in Rancho Cucamonga theft

Morg

Grumpy mod
Staff member
Reaction score
$1.4 million worth of Marvel Comics collectibles recovered

Two San Bernardino men have been arrested and charged with felonies for the alleged theft of a trove of Marvel Comics collectibles valued at $1.4 million.

Some of the items recovered include movie props such as “Captain America” shields, the arm and hand of Nebula from “Guardians of the Galaxy,” an Einherjar shield from “Thor,” an “Iron Man” mask, and a set of X-23 claws from “Logan.” Signed artwork by retired Marvel publisher Stan Lee and a special edition “Spider-Man” electric guitar were also recovered.

The investigation by the San Bernardino County sheriff’s Rancho Cucamonga station began Feb. 22 when the unidentified collector received word that several of his Marvel items were appearing for sale on the internet, leading him to discover his storage facility had been burglarized.

One of the alleged suspects was identified from information he had provided interested buyers, a release from the Sheriff’s Department said.

Detectives developed leads and Ian Florez, 35, of San Bernardino was arrested Feb. 24 on a warrant. Court records show a not guilty plea on charges of grand theft and burglary. He’s currently free on bond.

A second suspect, Matthew Rinke, 37, of San Bernardino was subsequently arrested after futher investigation. Rinke has pleaded not guilty to receiving stolen property, and in a separate case filed in January he faces charges of impersonation and second-degree burglary.

He has pleaded not guilty to those charges as well, and remains in custody.

I will be disappointed if Looney Tunes characters are not somehow involved.

If I had that value of collectibles I’d spend a huge chunk on security.

If I had that value of collectibles I’d spend a huge chunk on security.

----All the security systems in existence cannot take the place of a modicum of intelligence on the part of the owner.
People are generally quite foolish when it comes to property and even personal, security.
Guns are left in un-locked cars....Vacation plans are placed upon Facebook, along with pics of home, etc...

No greater danger exists than one`s own illusion of safety.

----All the security systems in existence cannot take the place of a modicum of intelligence on the part of the owner.
People are generally quite foolish when it comes to property and even personal, security.
Guns are left in un-locked cars....Vacation plans are placed upon Facebook, along with pics of home, etc...

No greater danger exists than one`s own illusion of safety.

If I had that much in collectibles I’d hire Spider-man. ;)

Personally, I would construct a special storage room in my backyard.

It would be sturdily-built, with well- insulated walls and flooring for climate control. It would be double-walled.
The exterior wall would be, to all appearances, a large firewood pile. There would even be loose pieces of wood actually placed upon the facade, and laying around it on the ground. The entry door would be on the far side, away from view, and completely hidden by the contour of the wood facade.

No one bothers much with a pile of firewood.

I was hoping the arrested suspect would have a name like "O. Octavius" or something.

That joke went so far over your head... :oldrazz:

That joke went so far over your head... :oldrazz:

Actually, I was really kinda-hoping that it would roll onward with yet another 'WHO?' expressed in block caps.....

To which I could then respond;
'STAR LORD....
He`s FAMOUS....dammitt!'

Last edited:
Those two thieves are incompetent. It's all well and good to steal valuable property. But the more valuable an item is and the more high profile an item is makes it harder to fence. You cant just steal this sort of **** and sell it like you'd sell a stolen bicycle or a stolen tv.

Like stealing a masterpiece painting. Good luck selling that. :p

Yeah while it isn't quite the same thing it's like stealing a Ferrari then placing an advertisement for it on eBay to sell it which may be what these guys did although the article only states "selling it on the internet" which limits it to eBay, Craig's List or Facebook.

They should have a website where you can only buy things that have been stolen.

I was going to joke and say Craig's List but I realized that's too easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"