2023 Banned User of the Year

As far as I am personally aware, I've never had any infractions put on my account (with the singular exception of a timeout which was given by mistake and removed when realized). And all it genuinely comes back to is the advice Billy Butcher from The Boys gives everybody. I won't quote it, because the word he uses probably would get me an infraction, but like...that's the secret.

Don't be a that, and just...don't spread opinions which invalidate the existence of genuinely prejudiced groups of people. It's honestly not that complicated.

I haven't seen aggressively transphobic content on these forums from recently banned members, though I can't say it doesn't exist. I witnessed no posts supporting restrictions on bathroom access, criminalizing essential gender affirming care or taking away custodial care from parents that support their transitioning children. The killing floor for a number of long time, mostly well regarded (at the time, not so much now) posters, including Batmannerism and Schlosser85, was transgender participation in girls and women athletic competitions. I myself received a "semester abroad" for taking what I thought to be a nuanced approach, perhaps in some cases and maybe not in others. I would like to think members on the political forums should be able to discuss this compelling issue without our transgendered chums feeling attacked. Using permanent banishment as a tool to provide a safe space could lead to further radicalization on these and other issues, which doesn't help anyone.
If we were currently in government, or the United Nations, I'd agree with you. We're not. We're on a 20 something (30? I genuinely don't know) year old forum website that's primarily based around superheroes. For analogy sake, this is not government, this is the comic shop down the street. If the owner kicks you out because he believes that a discussion you were having just...isn't one he wants to be taking place inside his establishment, that's his right. As is the right of the forum owners to enforce perma banning of opinions they find offensive and/or demeaning to marginalized groups of people, regardless of how nuanced it is. That doesn't mean it's a sign of fascism or anything along those lines. That's just the owner running their business how they want, as is their right.

I haven't seen aggressively transphobic content on these forums from recently banned members, though I can't say it doesn't exist. I witnessed no posts supporting restrictions on bathroom access, criminalizing essential gender affirming care or taking away custodial care from parents that support their transitioning children. The killing floor for a number of long time, mostly well regarded (at the time, not so much now) posters, including Batmannerism and Schlosser85, was transgender participation in girls and women athletic competitions. I myself received a "semester abroad" for taking what I thought to be a nuanced approach, perhaps in some cases and maybe not in others. I would like to think members on the political forums should be able to discuss this compelling issue without our transgendered chums feeling attacked. Using permanent banishment as a tool to provide a safe space could lead to further radicalization on these and other issues, which doesn't help anyone.
How transgendered people should be treated isn't a "compelling issue" and it's not a "debate". And if being punished for being bigoted about it makes someone "radicalized" maybe what they were really looking for was an excuse to be one.

Actually, it was not and you have no idea what you are talking about. @Schlosser85 was banned for harassing and stalking posters with whom he had beefs through PM. It was the same pattern of conduct that got him removed as a moderator. He abused his powers to mess with people's accounts. He had numerous other infractions as well, including promoting violence and making threatening statements about politicians with which he disagreed. Those sort of posts expose the site and its owners to potential liability.

@Batmannerism also had a long history of reports and infractions. Yes, he was ultimately banned over transgender issues, but it was after several warnings. He continued to link articles from bigoted, right-wing sources that misgendered and deadnamed athletes.

Yeah Schlosser was kind of a dick at times.

But I just put that down to him being a moderator.

tenor.gif

Actually, it was not and you have no idea what you are talking about. @Schlosser85 was banned for harassing and stalking posters with whom he had beefs through PM. It was the same pattern of conduct that got him removed as a moderator. He abused his powers to mess with people's accounts. He had numerous other infractions as well, including promoting violence and making threatening statements about politicians with which he disagreed. Those sort of posts expose the site and its owners to potential liability.

@Batmannerism also had a long history of reports and infractions. Yes, he was ultimately banned over transgender issues, but it was after several warnings. He continued to link articles from bigoted, right-wing sources that misgendered and deadnamed athletes.

You are correct counselor, I had no idea. With no knowledge of these other infractions I relied on their posting history to determine what got those two permanently banned from the site and relied on correlation rather than actual causation. Not a winning strategy.

I would like to thank all of the moderators who responded to my concerns and provided answers to my questions. I am a huge believer in open communication, even when it is uncomfortable at times, and I am grateful that my posts were treated (for the most part) respectfully and my posts and I were not immediately dismissed.

In regards to this political discussion and all that, I want to maybe make people think about it in this way and maybe this will help everyone in the future:

First and foremost, this is a site dedicated to superhero movies. We have other topics which people can engage with on here, but when this site started as Spider-Man Hype, the intent was to foster a community where people who love superheroes could share in the hype and talk to others they may not know outside the forum.

We are not a politics forum. We have a forum where politics can be discussed, but at its core, this isn't a politics forum. That's not to say you have to have a certain opinion to post here, but that isn't the main purpose of the forum.

So, when we engage in topics such as transgender rights or various rights, when you get too far into the weeds on those issues, you're making someone potentially feel unwelcome here. That's never been the intended goal of the site. SHH has always been about fostering a community and being inclusive. Hence why the laws of the site have a low tolerance for discrimination and such.

I tend to follow this line of thought before I post (sometimes I get heated and don't follow my own advice, but I have apologized to several people when I have done so), but I also kept myself out of a lot of trouble by doing this: read your post out loud before posting. If it sounds bad when you hear yourself, you may want to reconsider how you're making your point.

Also, you have to remember you guys only see half the battle. You see the public posts. You don't see the reports people make. You don't know how many people maybe report a post you make and why. We see that in the reports. We have more information, and we discuss these things as reports come in. We don't just ban off the cuff unless it's an obvious spam situation or something.

Also as I said earlier, if you have a concern about how a situation was handled, PM someone. I have taken poster concerns to the mod team many times. As have other mods. I am always willing to discuss situations with yall. That doesn't mean I will side with you or be able to give you all the information. Depends on what's going on, but I am always willing to have these discussions with anyone who messages me.

We have a great staff here, and no ones goal is to ruin anyone's good time or anything. Our job is to try and make this a great place for everyone. I think the staff does an amazing job. We may not be perfect, no one is. But I also guarantee we're not plotting against anyone or building death stars to subjugate yall into mechanized slaves for Skynet either.

I hope this perspective helps people see our side a bit better

But isn't it like rewarding someone for being (virtually) a pain in the you know where? Or being disrespectful towards others.

DKD says it really well below:

\
I don't think that is the intention of the award. I believe the purpose of the award is to recognize those former posters who were a valued member of the community and that we wish had listened to guidance from the moderation team so as to avoid being banned.

The perfect example would be @KRYPTON INC. We all loved the guy but he wouldn't stop spamming endless gifs in threads, resulting in site instability and crashes. The mods asked him to stop many, many times, but he just wouldn't listen to us. We had to ban him to stop threads from crashing.

the endless gifs and images did create some crashes, but it was more also that he wasn't vetting what he was posting and many of those images, videos and gifs broke hype rules for profanity, nudity, language, etc. he was given warnings on way more of them than he should have been, because of how much a staple of the forum he was. when he posted actual content, he was great to talk to. i still think of him often and i hope he is well.

there are members in the past that were banned that i miss, wish could come back, even in a trial basis to see if they've changed, but again, we don't make the rules here. we have to follow what the site owner's want to use, rules, content, etc. and lemme tell ya, the pay stinks, but we all love it here. i've been a part of this site over 20 years of my life. my join date may be 2004, but i lurked a long while before.

You are correct counselor, I had no idea. With no knowledge of these other infractions I relied on their posting history to determine what got those two permanently banned from the site and relied on correlation rather than actual causation. Not a winning strategy.

I would like to thank all of the moderators who responded to my concerns and provided answers to my questions. I am a huge believer in open communication, even when it is uncomfortable at times, and I am grateful that my posts were treated (for the most part) respectfully and my posts and I were not immediately dismissed.

absolutely. there are situations where sometimes we cannot discuss why someone was banned, fortunately those situations are very few and very very far between, and have been years and years since anything like that has raised.

but we do take your concerns seriously. we like good news and we know that also comes with back sometimes. you take the good, you take the bad...
my inbox is always open. i may not answer as soon as you'd like, but i never ignore them. i just work godawful hours and sometimes i am unavailable a few days.

I am speaking for myself here, but maybe some other mods too, but I am a poster here first, a moderator second. I come here because i enjoy the site, the topics, the people, the environment etc. i don't log in with the mindset of who needs infracting today? who can i ban? i don't think any of us do that. but sometimes we have to step in. just trying to protect the site from spam, bad ads etc, yall wouldn't believe the effort put into that alone. then to babysit all you rapscallions? the horror!

this could be the first year where there is no Banned Poster of the Year since none of us can think of one. And that's not a bad thing at all either :up:

This thread has veered away from banned poster of the year and has turned into stump speeches for moderator of the year. And each of you are making compelling arguments for it!

But in all seriousness, I really appreciate the job that you all do to keep this a fun and safe place to have conversations.

haha everyone knows i'm the laziest mod here

As other moderators have mentioned, the forum at large often doesn't see what we do. We work hard to clean up threads after misconduct by posters and delete the most offensive posts. For instance, when a flame war erupts between a couple posters we go through the thread and delete the whole thing so that others don't come in and start replying to it, re-igniting things. When investigating reports, we usually go back and read through the thread to get context on the alleged offending post. We will also go through the offending poster's infraction history and recent posts to see if things are being taken out of context, misinterpreted, and to evaluate whether it is part of a pattern of behaviour.

So yeah, when someone is being a real jerk and has a track record of being so, they have a pattern of ignoring our warnings, or we had a real mess to clean up, yeah, we may take a little pleasure in posting a humourous gif in telling them goodbye. It also serves the purpose of drawing other posters' attention to the warning given, which is why my usual practice in a banning post is a gif and then a detailed warning, explanation in red why that person is going on vacation or no longer welcome.

Oh, please. You're comparing being allowed to participate in a fun little Internet community to things you are legally entitled to. Absurd. You do not have a right to post here if you're going to be a dick. We're not "taking away someone's daily social media" when we ban them, we're not breaking into their house and installing parental locks on their phones - we're kicking them out of this community. The Internet is full of places to hang out and talk about superhero movies, many of them places that are A-Okay with posters behaving the way we have all collectively (and with the support of the majority of the user base) decided we've zero interest in tolerating.

It's not the death penalty. We didn't reenact the climax of Braveheart on, I don't know, that freak Schlosser or that halfwit bigot Batmannerism. Being booted from one of the eight quintillion nerd internet communities is Not A Big Deal, like... it probably blows, sure, but life goes on. There's nothing wrong with this board being important to you, it's a really fun part of my day to mess around on here and chat with my pals and get needlessly worked up about our shared silly interests and I'd be quite the sad little fella too if I randomly got bitten by a TERF whose bigotry infected my bloodstream like rabies leading me to post some unhinged **** that gets me banned, but emphasizing it as some sort of trauma is some serious hammy melodrama.

Like C. Lee said: there are people who've gotten banned from here I do, even if they were total pains in the ass and kinda grating sometimes, miss because they were major parts of the social fabric here who drove conversation and engagement. It's why I'm actually a pretty moderate moderator (say that three times fast). Thing is, though, every single one of them made their own bed by choosing to be a tit. Thems the breaks.

Schlosser85 was banned? Huh, I didn't know.

Yes. He was banned and I think I got a point because I said I thought someone's post was dumb or something like that (BTW, it WAS a dumb post that made no sense whatsoever IIRC). I wonder what would have happened to me if I called someone a "freak"? Maybe it's okay to do if they aren't members anymore, but it seems, well, rather...... rude???

This is exactly what I was talking about earlier. We don't know the details and the Mods/Admins are in a tough position because it really isn't cool to air a lot of this dirty laundry unless it's absolutely necessary. I've felt bad about some people being banned, but never once said "Hey this is unfair" because I just didn't know.

EDIT: I still think that name calling, in whatever form, is in poorer taste than stating the fact about why someone was banned.

HEY.....isn't this about Banned User of the Year???:funny:

Thanks to the other mods for their engagement in this thread. I don't have anything real to add to what they've already said far more eloquently than I could, except that another thing y'all never see is all the PM's that get reported. A lot of bannings - especially of long-time members - happened largely due to their conduct in PM's. A person's public face and who they're willing to be in private is often two VERY different things. Like, on a disturbing level, as I have witnessed here first-hand.

I appreciate folks having concerns, but at the end of the day, we just ask everyone to keep in mind you are almost NEVER seeing the whole picture. There are deleted posts, angry PM's, and various reports taken into consideration every time.

All due respect though, y'all can pry my Godzilla gifs from my cold dead hands. I only use them on the people who are really, REALLY asking for it, and I ain't regretting a single one. Sorry if that offends. Gotta replace the "Welling" somehow. :o

Thanks to the other mods for their engagement in this thread. I don't have anything real to add to what they've already said far more eloquently than I could, except that another thing y'all never see is all the PM's that get reported. A lot of bannings - especially of long-time members - happened largely due to their conduct in PM's. A person's public face and who they're willing to be in private is often two VERY different things. Like, on a disturbing level, as I have witnessed here first-hand.

I appreciate folks having concerns, but at the end of the day, we just ask everyone to keep in mind you are almost NEVER seeing the whole picture. There are deleted posts, angry PM's, and various reports taken into consideration every time.

All due respect though, y'all can pry my Godzilla gifs from my cold dead hands. I only use them on the people who are really, REALLY ask for it, and I ain't regretting a single one. Sorry if that offends. Gotta replace the "Welling" somehow. :o
We're a superhero movie forum afterall, if there aren't quips when disposing of baddies, can we really call ourselves film/superhero buffs? :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"