2023 Banned User of the Year

ComicChick

I Work Too Much
Staff member
Reaction score
8wRppGF.jpeg

BANNED MEMBER OF THE YEAR 2023
This is an award that no one sets out to win, but we have had some huge names win in years past.... unfortunately. For various reasons, some amazing members fell to the ban hammer this year and their presence is missed. This is where we remember those who were banned in 2022.

Pour out a 40 and nominate the banned members you miss the most.

8wRppGF.jpeg

BANNED MEMBER OF THE YEAR 2023
This is an award that no one sets out to win, but we have had some huge names win in years past.... unfortunately. For various reasons, some amazing members fell to the ban hammer this year and their presence is missed. This is where we remember those who were banned in 2022.

Pour out a 40 and nominate the banned members you miss the most.
How do we know who got banned?

Yeah, it'd be nice if there was a list or something. I know @NotNickFury was banned last year, but I don't know of any other posters.
I didn't even know that. I had some interaction with him, but not too much. I think we mighta crossed swords a couple of times, but don't remember for sure. I don't really get into arguments with people that often.

I didn't even know that. I had some interaction with him, but not too much. I think we mighta crossed swords a couple of times, but don't remember for sure. I don't really get into arguments with people that often.
When you say "crossed swords"...?

It doesn't reflect well on management that this is an annual award category. I can certainly understand instituting a permanent ban for a poster that posts pictures of nude people or hate symbols or nude people wearing hate symbols, but I've witnessed long time intelligent and productive posters receiving permanent banishment for arguing with a moderator or their online bestie and posting moderate political options. I myself earned a three month banishment for those infractions. That was about a year and a half ago, I took the hint and this has been my first post since.

Though most of the moderators here are great, some have the online temperament of an NBA referee. If you are banning folks for criticizing the physical appearance of an fan casted actor (for the children), are constantly resorting to ALL CAPS THREATS and/or posting mean spirited gifs (for the likes) after stripping away someone's beloved social media outlet, moderating may not for you.

It is more likely that I am banned for this post than any of my suggestions are implemented, but here we go. There should be (almost) no permanent bans. Even murderers get parole and a year should be the maximum in all but the most extreme cases. If a ban is deemed necessary, moderators should show some class. Taking away someone's daily social media is extremely stressful and rubbing it in with gifs and yuks is both cruel and unnecessary. Finally, banned posters should have recourse, an outlet for pleading their case. I thought I had a great case for arguing mine, but once you are banned that is it. Hopefully this post will be received in the manner for which it is intended.

Last edited:
It doesn't reflect well on management that this is an annual award category. I can certainly understand instituting a permanent ban for a poster that posts pictures of nude people or hate symbols or nude people wearing hate symbols, but I've witnessed long time intelligent and productive posters receiving permanent banishment for arguing with a moderator or their online bestie and posting moderate political options. I myself earned a three month banishment for those infractions. That was about a year and a half ago, I took the hint and this has been my first post since.

Though most of the moderators here are great, some have the online temperament of an NBA referee. If you are banning folks for criticizing the physical appearance of an fan casted actor (for the children), are constantly resorting to ALL CAPS THREATS and/or posting mean spirited gifs (for the likes) after stripping away someone's beloved social media outlet, moderating may not for you.

It is more likely that I am banned for this post than any of my suggestions are implemented, but here we go. There should be (almost) no permanent bans. Even murderers get parole and a year should be the maximum in all but the most extreme cases. If a ban is deemed necessary, moderators should show some class. Taking away someone's daily social media is extremely stressful and rubbing it in with gifs and yuks is both cruel and unnecessary. Finally, banned posters should have recourse, an outlet for pleading their case. I thought I had a great case for arguing mine, but once you are banned that is it. Hopefully this post will be received in the manner for which it is intended.
Hmmmmm......I see it a little differently. Yeah, some good people have gotten banned and I don't know that all punishments are fairly implemented, but I like to be able to recognize some of the people I genuinely liked and had offline conversations with (Krypton and DJKidd to name a couple). We don't always know exactly what all of the prior incidents were so it's tough to make judgements about what's fair and what isn't. I've asked on occasion and gotten what seem to be reasonable responses.

This is not a mean spirited gif. It is genuinely funny to see it utilized when someone is warned and then won’t take a hint:

View attachment 79503
Oh....IIRC, @flickchick85 had a better Godzilla kick than that one. Then there was the time that someone basically dared @C. Lee to ban him. I don't like to see people get banned, but sometimes it's sorta funny. Generally speaking, it doesn't seem like people are shocked by their bans.

Honestly, cutting people off from their social media is doing all parties involved a favor.

Not really a punishment.

I miss some of the people who get banned. I wish they had listened to me or the other staff members and stopped doing what they were doing that was against the rules. It's a shame when someone gets 10 official infractions, a few dozen in thread infractions, dozens of PMs from me asking them to watch what they are posting....and then act oh so surprised when finally banned. There are times I feel Like Willie Wonka dealing with gold ticket winners......oh no, please stop, don't do that.....again.

Oh, please. You're comparing being allowed to participate in a fun little Internet community to things you are legally entitled to. Absurd. You do not have a right to post here if you're going to be a dick. We're not "taking away someone's daily social media" when we ban them, we're not breaking into their house and installing parental locks on their phones - we're kicking them out of this community. The Internet is full of places to hang out and talk about superhero movies, many of them places that are A-Okay with posters behaving the way we have all collectively (and with the support of the majority of the user base) decided we've zero interest in tolerating.

It's not the death penalty. We didn't reenact the climax of Braveheart on, I don't know, that freak Schlosser or that halfwit bigot Batmannerism. Being booted from one of the eight quintillion nerd internet communities is Not A Big Deal, like... it probably blows, sure, but life goes on. There's nothing wrong with this board being important to you, it's a really fun part of my day to mess around on here and chat with my pals and get needlessly worked up about our shared silly interests and I'd be quite the sad little fella too if I randomly got bitten by a TERF whose bigotry infected my bloodstream like rabies leading me to post some unhinged **** that gets me banned, but emphasizing it as some sort of trauma is some serious hammy melodrama.

Like C. Lee said: there are people who've gotten banned from here I do, even if they were total pains in the ass and kinda grating sometimes, miss because they were major parts of the social fabric here who drove conversation and engagement. It's why I'm actually a pretty moderate moderator (say that three times fast). Thing is, though, every single one of them made their own bed by choosing to be a tit. Thems the breaks.

This is not a mean spirited gif. It is genuinely funny to see it utilized when someone is warned and then won’t take a hint:

View attachment 79503

I must admit I did enjoy (pre three month ban) seeing hyper argumentative posters finally getting their comeuppance. But it's important to understand that there is a real person at the other end of Gojira's feet. The human version of Megalon may have been having a bad week or month, may be struggling at home or on the job. The banned poster, who could be dealing with mental illness, now has to adjust to a portion of their daily routine being changed, in some cases permanently. That, other gifs and the likes received for banishment posts are piling on an already bad situation and should not be tolerated.
Honestly, cutting people off from their social media is doing all parties involved a favor.

Not really a punishment.

I have to agree with you here. I was quite angry after receiving what I felt was an unjustified banishment. It wasn't too long into my season long sentence that I realized my absence on the boards wasn't missed and that I had been wasting an awful lot of time in unproductive arguments with people I didn't know.

(quote) Oh, please. You're comparing being allowed to participate in a fun little Internet community to things you are legally entitled to. Absurd. You do not have a right to post here if you're going to be a dick. We're not "taking away someone's daily social media" when we ban them, we're not breaking into their house and installing parental locks on their phones - we're kicking them out of this community. The Internet is full of places to hang out and talk about superhero movies, many of them places that are A-Okay with posters behaving the way we have all collectively (and with the support of the majority of the user base) decided we've zero interest in tolerating. (/quote)
Ah, the "Oh please" opening! The opening salvo that immediately informs the quoted that nothing they posted is being taken seriously. But please read this lengthy response anyway.

Let me balance my criticism of Superhero Hype with a compliment. The fact that these forums are heavily moderated make it a much more pleasant place in which to converse than these other places to hang out and talk about superhero movies. I looked at a few of them during my "summer vacation" and, Yeesh! Not for me! This place IS special. But that doesn't mean it is perfect and should not be subject (and open to) criticism.

(quote)
It's not the death penalty. We didn't reenact the climax of Braveheart on, I don't know, that freak Schlosser or that halfwit bigot Batmannerism. Being booted from one of the eight quintillion nerd internet communities is Not A Big Deal, like... it probably blows, sure, but life goes on. There's nothing wrong with this board being important to you, it's a really fun part of my day to mess around on here and chat with my pals and get needlessly worked up about our shared silly interests and I'd be quite the sad little fella too if I randomly got bitten by a TERF whose bigotry infected my bloodstream like rabies leading me to post some unhinged **** that gets me banned, but emphasizing it as some sort of trauma is some serious hammy melodrama. (/quote)

That "freak" was one of my favorite posters and, as with Krypton Inc. the forum discussions are diminished without their contributions. But I am glad you brought up both Schlosser85 and Batmannerism. There is one topic on the political forums that has proven to be a mine field for folks who consider themselves to be political moderates, including myself. Only the far left position on the topic is allowed and anyone respectfully questioning that stance is subject to banishment. Given that, shouldn't the thread be closed? If open discussion is banned, then what is the point of having it in the first place? There are certain subjects I don't know a heck of a lot about, including that one, and I am open to learning and changing. But that isn't going to happen if any and all discussion is immediately shut down, and any poster who presents a different viewpoint than the moderator is immediately banned.

Last edited:
Ah, the "Oh please" opening! The opening salvo that immediately informs the quoted that nothing they posted is being taken seriously. But please read this lengthy response anyway.

Let me balance my criticism of Superhero Hype with a compliment. The fact that these forums are heavily moderated make it a much more pleasant place in which to converse than these other places to hang out and talk about superhero movies. I looked at a few of them during my "summer vacation" and, Yeesh! Not for me! This place IS special. But that doesn't mean it is perfect and should not be subject (and open to) criticism.

thank you for the complimentary comment in regards to moderating. many forget that we do not get the pick the rules. we enforce the rules passed down by the site owners and if we were not doing it, they'd replace us with people who would. i think our mod group is pretty diverse and well rounded.

there are quite a few banned members that i think of and wish they could have another chance. not my call unfortunately, and as mentioned before, when someone has their 10th infraction, the website automatically boots them, not us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"