The Official 'Lord Of the Rings' Thread

And even HIS death was cut out of the theatrical version, as ridiculous as it was.

Listen, JRR Tolkien said that Alfrid getting flung into the mouth of a troll who chokes on him was what the entire essence of the Hobbit was all about. And they had the gull to cut that!

Don't ask me where that Tolkien quote is, but trust me on this.

Listen, JRR Tolkien said that Alfrid getting flung into the mouth of a troll who chokes on him was what the entire essence of the Hobbit was all about. And they had the gull to cut that!

Don't ask me where that Tolkien quote is, but trust me on this.
I believe it was in Tolkien's will that any future adaptation of The Hobbit needed to include Alfrid Lickspittle because he always regretted that he thought of such an amazing character only after the book was published. :o

I believe it was in Tolkien's will that any future adaptation of The Hobbit needed to include Alfrid Lickspittle because he always regretted that he thought of such an amazing character only after the book was published. :o
Is that the same will that said any Lord of the Rings video game needs Shelob to be a hot goth chick?

Well, they couldn't lose that super crucial footage of Grima 2.0 - I mean Alfrid - dressed like a woman and trying to escape with a bra full of gold, could they? /s

It's not like the funeral was for anybody important. /s
From what I've heard, all the **** with Alfrid in the third movie was forced onto Jackson by WB. Jackson wanted to kill him off alongside the Master during Smaug's attack on Lake-Town, but the studio wanted more comedy in the third movie for they make him keep the character around.

Whoever made that call, awful :o

I dont blame Peter Jackson for those movies. He was put in about the worst position you can be put in as a director

Whoever made that call, awful :o

I dont blame Peter Jackson for those movies. He was put in about the worst position you can be put in as a director
And yet he did the best he could with them. I'll go to bat for the Hobbit trilogy before I EVER defend the Star Wars prequels.

MV5BYjI1NTMzNjgtYjFmOS00YzFjLTg3MTEtMDgxZTcwZTE2NDM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUyNjc3NDQ4._V1_.jpg

Anyone watching the animated film later this year?
Definitely watching. Hope it’s good and successful so that more LOTR animation could be on the cards.

And yet he did the best he could with them. I'll go to bat for the Hobbit trilogy before I EVER defend the Star Wars prequels.
Oh, I agree Peter Jackson was absolutely trying to do his best and make them work. But he was put in a position to fail from the start. The Star Wars Prequel had entirely different sets of problems since they didn't have a major studio to deal with like Jackson did

Oh, I agree Peter Jackson was absolutely trying to do his best and make them work. But he was put in a position to fail from the start. The Star Wars Prequel had entirely different sets of problems since they didn't have a major studio to deal with like Jackson did
Except he didn't fail. The decision to make it three movies helped save the production and PJ circumvented around the meddling at least on the attempted forced "love triangle" thing (never got the impression Legolas had a romantic interest in Tauriel). And all 3 movies were hits regardless.

Except he didn't fail. The decision to make it three movies helped save the production and PJ circumvented around the meddling at least on the attempted forced "love triangle" thing (never got the impression Legolas had a romantic interest in Tauriel). And all 3 movies were hits regardless.
I am not talking financial failure. I am talking qualitatively. As far as whether or not they're good films, they're hard failures for me.

That's your opinion then. For me, still better than the SW prequels.
I dont like the Prequel Trilogy for Star Wars either. But I don't like The Hobbit Trilogy either. Both are hard failures from a quality standpoint, imo. And obviously it's my opinion. Anything I say on here unless I am quoting numbers for box office or something tangible is my opinion.

Making the Hobbit three films, to me, was what did it in.

Each of the Lord of the Rings books were longer than the Hobbit. Each got told with just one film per each.

Why did the Hobbit need three films when it was the shortest of all three books?

I can see someone saying two films, but three? I may be mistaken, but most of what was in it - PJ invented rather than staying very true to the book itself.

While Lord of the Rings is championed for its complexity and depth, The Hobbit was known for its charming simplicity in comparison (meant in the best way possible).

It’s why An Unexpected Journey works the best out of the three as it is in most spirit with the book and - mostly - focuses solely on Bilbo.

Martin Freeman is so damn good as Bilbo that, regardless with the mistakes made, I’m glad they were made when they were to be honest.

It’s why An Unexpected Journey works the best out of the three as it is in most spirit with the book and - mostly - focuses solely on Bilbo.

Martin Freeman is so damn good as Bilbo that, regardless with the mistakes made, I’m glad they were made when they were to be honest.
If anything I wish that they had been made a little sooner, preferably before New Line Cinema was absorbed into WB because they almost certainly wouldn't have interfered the way that WB did. Jackson jumping into The Hobbit right after King Kong when he was still on his A game would have been something, and to boot Martin Freeman absolutely still could have been Bilbo at that time.

If anything I wish that they had been made a little sooner, preferably before New Line Cinema was absorbed into WB because they almost certainly wouldn't have interfered the way that WB did. Jackson jumping into The Hobbit right after King Kong when he was still on his A game would have been something, and to boot Martin Freeman absolutely still could have been Bilbo at that time.
Blame The Golden Compass for that. New Line was too impatient to wait for PJ and sunk a bunch of money into trying to make a very not-family friendly book trilogy into a family film while trying to appeal to the LOTR crowd by getting Christopher Lee to do a pointless cameo and replaced the polar bear's original voice actor (look up the Comic-Con trailer; Iorek is heard briefly with a Russian accent) with Ian McKellen. They had to sell off the international distribution just to finish the movie and it backfired when it made a lot more money overseas than in the US. That's what did New Line in.

Blame The Golden Compass for that. New Line was too impatient to wait for PJ and sunk a bunch of money into trying to make a very not-family friendly book trilogy into a family film while trying to appeal to the LOTR crowd by getting Christopher Lee to do a pointless cameo and replaced the polar bear's original voice actor (look up the Comic-Con trailer; Iorek is heard briefly with a Russian accent) with Ian McKellen. They had to sell off the international distribution just to finish the movie and it backfired when it made a lot more money overseas than in the US. That's what did New Line in.
I can't fault them for attempting to get another franchise under their belt because back in the mid-2000's everyone was after the next big fantasy franchise but to be honest even having seen The Golden Compass in theaters back when it came out I've forgotten mostly everything about it in general, including that it directly contributed to New Line sinking. At least fans of that franchise got something out of it years later with the HBO series.

I can't fault them for attempting to get another franchise under their belt because back in the mid-2000's everyone was after the next big fantasy franchise but to be honest even having seen The Golden Compass in theaters back when it came out I've forgotten mostly everything about it in general, including that it directly contributed to New Line sinking. At least fans of that franchise got something out of it years later with the HBO series.
It fit HBO better than a PG/PG-13 "general audience" movie. No way a very anti-religion fantasy book written by a known atheist was gonna pass for a kids movie. That was a fool's errand.

It fit HBO better than a PG/PG-13 "general audience" movie. No way a very anti-religion fantasy book written by a known atheist was gonna pass for a kids movie. That was a fool's errand.
It seemed to be one of those things that any kid below middle school age wouldn't bother with but sure enough they still tried to market it as such complete with a line of action figures.

Making the Hobbit three films, to me, was what did it in.

Each of the Lord of the Rings books were longer than the Hobbit. Each got told with just one film per each.

Why did the Hobbit need three films when it was the shortest of all three books?

I can see someone saying two films, but three? I may be mistaken, but most of what was in it - PJ invented rather than staying very true to the book itself.

While Lord of the Rings is championed for its complexity and depth, The Hobbit was known for its charming simplicity in comparison (meant in the best way possible).
I dont think any 1 single decision did The Hobbit in. Making it 3 movies was a bad decision. So was forcing Peter Jackson into essentially rushing this in production to the point the set documentary that WB itself included shows he often showed up to set having no idea what was being shot that day. The various added reshoots hurt the movie. In general trying to make it Diet LOTR hurt it. This one was death by a thousand cuts

I dont think any 1 single decision did The Hobbit in. Making it 3 movies was a bad decision. So was forcing Peter Jackson into essentially rushing this in production to the point the set documentary that WB itself included shows he often showed up to set having no idea what was being shot that day. The various added reshoots hurt the movie. In general trying to make it Diet LOTR hurt it. This one was death by a thousand cuts

Certainly not any one decision, but one of the main ones. Unlike LOTR, most of it was invention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"