• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Abuse of Power Thread (Cops, Governments, Etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen so much stupidity out of the Italian courts on this case I don't know what to believe. She could have been there and killed the woman or halfway across the country for all the competence I have in this case goes.

Well after being exonerated and set free by their government for incompetence I doubt that they have the ability to suddenly solve it years later with no new evidence. I also don't see the US playing ball after all that considering the public has a rather favorable opinion of her now and will be outraged if they try and do so

It's a very ineptly handled case. From the start.

Ex-Teacher's 1-Month Rape Sentence Overturned by Montana Supreme Court

The Montana Supreme Court has overturned the outrageous one-month sentence handed down last year to a former high school teacher who was convicted of raping a 14-year-old student. The rapist, who has been free since last fall, will be resentenced by a different judge.

Although ex-teacher Stacey Dean Rambold was found to have had three sexual encounters with an underage student (who later committed suicide), District Judge G. Todd Baugh reduced Rambold's sentence by blaming the victim.

In the original sentencing last August, Judge Baugh said the 14-year-old girl was "as much in control of the situation" as her adult rapist, and declared her "older than her chronological age."

Baugh also downplayed the fact that Rambold had been kicked out of a sex offender treatment program for missing meetings. Baugh later apologized for his comments about the victim, but said he stood by his sentence.

The Montana Supreme Court cited Baugh's actions in overturning the sentence Wednesday, and ordered a new sentencing hearing with a different judge presiding. A separate disciplinary complaint against Baugh is still pending.

Prosecutors originally wanted Rambold to serve at least 10 years. Sentencing guidelines recommend a 4 year minimum.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/montana-teachers-1-month-rape-sentence-overturned

I reported on this abuse of power before I made this thread and it's great to see it overturned by saner minds. I still think the original judge should be disbarred for his obvious idiocy. Hopefully they lock this molester up and throw away the key

Montana is also the state that elected Jesse Ventura (former pro wrestler) governor. Just throwing that out there.

This is going to be controversial and probably should get its own thread but I think it's more appropriate to give this thread some attention.

Study suggests that 4% of the people we put on death row are innocent

How well does the US justice system work? Given that many states still carry out the death penalty, it's a rather significant question.

Some biostatisticians have teamed up with lawyers in an attempt to provide a scientific answer to the question. Based on their figures, at least 4.1 percent of the individuals sentenced to death will eventually be exonerated. Given the high level of scrutiny that capital cases are subjected to, the authors conclude that the percentage of innocents stuck with life sentences is even higher.

The study seems to have been inspired in part by a comment from US Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, who once claimed that US Courts have "a success rate of 99.973 percent." This, the authors say, is ludicrous. "In fact, the claim is silly," they write. "Scalia’s ratio is derived by taking the number of known exonerations at the time, which were limited almost entirely to a small subset of murder and rape cases, using it as a measure of all false convictions (known and unknown), and dividing it by the number of all felony convictions for all crimes, from drug possession and burglary to car theft and income tax evasion."

The vast majority of felony cases don't end in decisions regarding guilt or innocence. Instead, 93 percent are subject to plea bargains. Of the remainder, most convictions aren't reexamined carefully—appeals tend to focus on technicalities of the case rather than matters of guilt or innocence.

The exception, the authors argue, is death penalty cases. Here, matters of guilt and innocence are examined in detail, often for decades after sentencing. Even though these cases account for less than 0.1 percent of the prison sentences in the US, 12 percent of the individuals who are exonerated after conviction were sentenced to death. So if we're ever to have an accurate measure of the rates of erroneous convictions, this is the place.

Their study starts with the "modern" death penalty era, ushered in by a Supreme Court decision in 1973. It extends to 2004. The cutoff comes in part because it takes time—an average of more than 10 years after sentencing—for the evidence to build for exoneration. In fact, one case took 33 years between sentencing and exoneration, meaning that some of the individuals from their study period will almost certainly be exonerated in the future. This means that researcher estimates will err on the low side.

Two other factors also tend to mean that their estimate is going to be low. One is that people on death row die for other reasons, at which point attempts to exonerate them generally stop. Finally, in many cases where there are lingering doubts about guilt, individuals will have their sentences changed to life in prison (this happens to 36 percent of those sent to death row). The rate of exoneration among these individuals plummets compared to those who remain on death row, suggesting that people view the lesser sentence as a victory and stop pushing as hard for a full exoneration.

Even with all these reasons to think their estimate is low, the authors calculate that the cumulative rate of exoneration at 20 years is 4.1 percent. For contrast, over the entire period of their study, 12.6 percent of those on death row were actually executed.

Does this mean we're probably executing innocent people? The authors don't really commit to that conclusion, but they do suggest that instances of this happening will be rare, given the heavy scrutiny and relatively high rate of exonerations. But their finding certainly does mean we are regularly convicting innocent people, in stark contrast to Justice Scalia's claim.

What the authors do find disturbing is that we accept that our job is done once a person's sentence is converted to life in prison. Given that these changes are often made because of the possibility of innocence, the authors conclude that far more than 4.1 percent of these individuals are probably innocent. "Our research adds the disturbing news that most innocent defendants who have been sentenced to death have not been exonerated," the authors conclude. "Many—including the great majority of those who have been resentenced to life in prison—probably never will be."

Ars Technica

Ya I glanced over an article talking about that the other day and it doesn't surprise me at all. No system is perfect so obviously stuff like this is going to happen. At least it wasn't bigger but in reality it is since they couldn't have examined every case. And thanks for supporting the thread Teelie, I hope everyone knows anyone can post things they find in any of my threads. I don't have to be the only guy reporting stuff

This thread deserves more discussion, that's for certain.

The sad thing is they estimated on the low side and only death penalty cases, not life imprisonment. So imagine how many people are truly innocent of comitting a crime they've been put into jail for life. It could be upwards of 10% or more.

I'm not against the death penalty but it is far too quickly and freely utilized given how many are actually innocent.

Yup and sadly with the proliferation of DNA evidence and shows like CSI and Law & Order people think it is a smoking gun when in a lot of cases it isn't anywhere near the proof they think it is

Montana is also the state that elected Jesse Ventura (former pro wrestler) governor. Just throwing that out there.

I'm pretty sure that was Minnesota.

This thread deserves more discussion, that's for certain.

The sad thing is they estimated on the low side and only death penalty cases, not life imprisonment. So imagine how many people are truly innocent of comitting a crime they've been put into jail for life. It could be upwards of 10% or more.

I'm not against the death penalty but it is far too quickly and freely utilized given how many are actually innocent.

The fact that we almost certainly are killing innocent people is the main reason I'm anti-death penalty. I can handle putting innocent people in prison because they can get out on appeal. But you can't return from death.

Vet Accused of Ilegally Keeping Dogs Alive for Secret Blood Transfusions

kxynozacnpl0hrglgt1q.jpg

A veterinary clinic in Texas allegedly convinced a family to euthanize their 5-year-old Leonberger for health reasons, only to secretly keep the dog alive in a feces-covered cage for six months for blood transfusions.

Last year, Marian Harris took her family's dog, Sid, to the Camp Bowie Animal Clinic in Fort Worth to be treated for a gland issue. As the condition worsened and Sid developed problems walking, the vet reportedly recommended they put the dog to sleep. Marian agreed and told police she gave Dr. Lou Tierce permission to euthanize Sid.

Six months later, the Harris family received a call from Mary Brewer, a former technician at Camp Bowie, who claimed Sid was still alive and being held in a urine-and-feces-covered cage for blood transfusions.

"I told her, 'He's still here,' and she's like, 'Can he walk?' and I said, 'Yeah, he's here waiting on you. If you came today, he'd walk out and jump in your car,'" Brewer told NBC DFW.

Marian and her husband, Jamie, rushed to the clinic, where they found Sid, alive and in a cage.

"It was like getting punched in the stomach and then some," Marian Harris said. "This has rocked our world. My kids are like, 'How does somebody do this?' How does this happen?"

The Harrises freed Sid and immediately took him to another clinic, where vets said he didn't need to be euthanized at all. According to the Harrises' attorney, vets said Sid had been "abusively kenneled" and likely used for blood transfusions.

"He was able to walk and jump in the back of my minivan so it was an excitement to be reunited," Marian told CBS DFW. "The betrayal is so incredibly intense that nothing you have prepares you for the emotions. There's anger, there's joy that you have your dog back, there's betrayal of this intense trust. And so it's just really hard to camp on one particular emotion."

Authorities went to the clinic Tuesday and seized several animals. The Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners has called an emergency meeting in Austin; a member of the board is set to meet with Ft. Worth Police and prosecutors on Wednesday to discuss criminal charges.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Fo...ing-Dog-Alive-for-Transfusions-257225231.html

How could someone that is suppsoed to save the lives of animals do this to one? I hope they give him the max penalty for this, it makes me sick. I love dogs

California Cops Impound, Sell Cars of Poor Latinos

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/25/justice/california-police-corruption-arrests/

The prosecutor in a rural California agricultural community says that police officers there preyed upon the poor, impounding their cars then selling the vehicles when the owners couldn't afford the fees.

Six officers, including the former police chief of King City and his acting replacement, were arrested Tuesday in the corruption scheme, as was the owner of a towing company.

Monterey County District Attorney Dean D. Flippo said the alleged scheme worked liked this: Sgt. Bobby Carrillo would impound a vehicle -- at least 200 of them -- and, though he was supposed to equally use one of four towing companies, he would call Miller's Towing 87% of the time. Carrillo targeted poor Latinos who couldn't pay the money required to retrieve their vehicles, prosecutors alleged.

Man to hear things like what those cops did is just wrong man. I know some people think I like to bash the cops but I only want to bring the bad eggs into the light so things like this don't happen to the people that can least afford it. That is why this thread involves all abuses of power from anyone that is in a position over another and taking advantage of it. Hopefully if we shed light on things like this and shame them people will think twice before doing such heinous acts

Clearwater FL Cop Suspected of Drunk Driving Gets Ride Home Instead of DUI

This one is in my own backyard so I wont bother quoting the whole thing. Basically drunk cop stumbles out of bar and gets into his car, proceeds to drive off and is witnessed swerving as well as almost hitting a cab. Witnesses call 911. He is pulled over shortly thereafter. Then promptly given a ride home by his fellow officers. The clearwater police dept. only knew about this when it was pointed out on a Facebook post and then, I **** you not, this is how the officers in question responded:
Sgt. Allaster and Sgt. Young told investigators that what they did for Capogna “…is nothing we haven’t done for any citizen we don’t know.”

Take it from me, a FL resident that unfortunately has 2 DUI's both from the state of FL and rightly so for drunken mistakes made years ago THIS IS NOT how most FL residents and especially tourist are treated. The closest thing I can think of to this in FL law is how in Tallahassee if a college student gets pulled over on their 1st DUI and cooperates, then does all of the probation, court cost etc. then that DUI is not "on the record" which is amazing to me since I can have my record expunged yet the only thing that, by FL law, will not be removed is my DUI's

Here is the link if you want further details:

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/...ed-of-driving-drunk-didnt-get-dui-report-says

A deputy in Kentucky caught on camera murdering a 19 year old girl.

Witnesses say the girl started to drive off and the cop jumped on the hood and shot through the window. Ya know, rather than stepping out of the way calling for backup. The actual shooting isnt on the video just the before and after.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5240353?utm_hp_ref=tw

Cops are going to keep this **** up until the people remind them they are not judge jury and executioner. So sick of people dying because cops cant keep their gun in their ****ing holster.

Man to hear things like what those cops did is just wrong man. I know some people think I like to bash the cops but I only want to bring the bad eggs into the light so things like this don't happen to the people that can least afford it. That is why this thread involves all abuses of power from anyone that is in a position over another and taking advantage of it. Hopefully if we shed light on things like this and shame them people will think twice before doing such heinous acts

I don't think we can affect authority abuse, no matter how much we discuss it or how many cases we shed light.
You'd think that with the advent of the digital age and the exposition of authority corruption in the internet, there would be less and less incidents. I don't know if there are less cases than in the past, but I am certain this is never gonna end.

A deputy in Kentucky caught on camera murdering a 19 year old girl.

Witnesses say the girl started to drive off and the cop jumped on the hood and shot through the window. Ya know, rather than stepping out of the way calling for backup. The actual shooting isnt on the video just the before and after.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5240353?utm_hp_ref=tw

Cops are going to keep this **** up until the people remind them they are not judge jury and executioner. So sick of people dying because cops cant keep their gun in their ****ing holster.

Poor girl :csad:

Last edited:
Drunk NYPD Officer Allegedly Shot a Stranger 6 Times

NYPD officers apparently can't stop getting drunk and shooting people: Just before midnight Tuesday, Officer Brendan Cronin allegedly pulled up to a stop light in Pelham, N.Y. and fired 13 shots at a stranger's car, striking the man six times.

The New York Post reports that before the shooting, Cronin spent the day with NYPD colleagues, first taking target practice at a shooting range in the Bronx and later having drinks at a bar. As he drove home to Yonkers, Cronin reportedly stopped next to Joe "The Truck" Felice's car and began waving his gun in the air before opening fire.

From the New York Post:

Felice told police he heard the gunshots while sitting at a traffic light in the passenger seat, a source said. After realizing he had been shot, Felice slumped down and was struck five more times.

After the fusillade of gunfire, Felice looked up and noticed a bullet hole in the headrest he had been using moments before, the source said.
Felice was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he was treated for wounds to his torso, lungs, and arms. He's in stable condition.

Police still aren't sure what prompted Cronin, who was so drunk he doesn't remember the incident, to shoot Felice. "We have not been able to find any link between the two persons," Pelham Police Chief Joseph Benefico told the Post. "We have nothing to link either party to each other — no road rage, nothing."

After shooting Felice, Cronin fled the scene but was so intoxicated he kept his car's hazard lights on. Pelham police tracked him to New Rochelle, where they nearly shot him after Cronin pointed his gun out his window. Eventually, Cronin surrendered and was arrested on charges of assault.

Meanwhile, outside a strip club in Somerset, N.J., NYPD Sgt. Wanda Anthony allegedly opened fire at a car containing her ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend. Neither was hit, and Anthony was later pulled over and charged with DWI. She's been suspended without pay pending an investigation.

And last week, a drunk on-duty NYPD detective Jay Poggi accidentally shot his partner in the wrist.

http://nypost.com/2014/04/30/off-du...w&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

This is why drinking and forearms don't mix

Reports of military sex assault up sharply

In a very twisted way this is a good thing. The reporting part obviously, not the fact that it had to be reported in the first place. That more people feel confident and safe in reporting their being assaulted is good. And it may get more done to prevent and prosecute those who do commit the crimes since their victims will no longer be silent.

Reports of sexual assault in the U.S. military are up 50 percent, according to the latest annual figures reported on Thursday by the Pentagon.

The Defense Department said the sharp increase follows steps over the past year to encourage alleged victims to come forward to report such abuse and reflects more confidence in how the military responds. There is no indication the spike was due to an overall increase in actual incidents, officials said.

There were 5,061 sex assault reports in the 2013 fiscal year, which ended last September 30. That represents a 50% increase from the same period the year before.

Although the Pentagon has taken steps to address the matter following the release of troubling statistics last spring, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said officials still believe the issue is under-reported and there is more work to do.

One area of focus is to get more male victims to file claims.

"The best way to combat this crime is to prevent it," Hagel said, adding the armed forces must "live our core values and we must each be responsible for our actions."

Hagel said victims of sexual assault are "not only human beings, they are fellow soldiers, sailors and Marines. We cannot let them down."

The issue received heightened attention from the Obama administration and Congress after last year's report also showed a startling jump in reported sex assault claims.

Rep. Niki Tsongas, co-chair of the Military Sexual Assault Prevention Caucus and the top Democrat on the House Armed Services Subcommittee for Oversight and Investigations, said the figures continue to indicate a serious problem.

"The rise in reporting is encouraging, possibly signaling that legislative and military changes from recent years are having a positive impact," she said in a statement.

But Tsongas added better reporting and other steps to address the issue "does not obviate the simple fact that these heinous crimes continue to occur at an alarming rate, to both men and women."

Sex assault in the military has become a major concern for the Pentagon over the past year.

An anonymous survey from 2012 found that nearly 26,000 service members said they were the victim of an incident of sexual assault or unwanted sexual contact. But only a fraction actually filed a report.

President Barack Obama demanded the military brass "leave no stone overturned" in efforts to prevent abuse.

Directives from this year's report include calls to advance and sustain an appropriate culture within the military to report incidents as well as increased efforts to evaluate commander training in dealing with the issue.

There have been several instances in which senior officers, including generals, have been accused or charged with a variety of actions that constitute sexual assault. Some actually oversaw programs that sought to combat sexual assault.

The report also calls for a review of alcohol policies and highlights an effort to improve levels of reporting for male victims, long thought to be an under-reported demographic.

According to military law, sexual assault is defined as intentional sexual contact characterized by use of force, threats, intimidation, or abuse of authority or when the victim does not or cannot consent.

It also includes categories of sexual offenses that include rape, sexual assault, aggravated sexual contact, abusive sexual contact, forcible sodomy, or attempts to commit these acts.

The issue also generated outrage in Congress, which approved reform measures last year that included a provision preventing commanders from overturning convictions.

The Senate sought to take things further, approving legislation this year imposing modest reforms to strengthen prosecution. But proponents of tougher action were disappointed the chamber rejected a proposal that would have altered the way crimes like sex assault and rape are handled.
CNN

http://www.naturalnews.com/044965_family_farms_food_security_Michigan_government.html
Right to farm being stripped from Americans: Michigan to criminalize small family farms with chickens, goats, honey bees and more

(NaturalNews) In the latest stunning assault on Americans' right to grow their own food, the freedom-crushing state of Michigan has ruled that local governments (cities, towns, counties) can now ban any animal they wish from small residential farms. The move opens the door to the mass criminalization of backyard farms and small, residential farming operations where people might keep a few goats or honey bees for food security.

According to Michigan Public Radio (1), the ruling could ban all chickens, goats, honey bees and other animals from farms which have another residential house less than 250 feet away.

Off The Grid News(2) goes on to report:

Some homesteaders in Michigan could find themselves in a complete regulatory limbo because of the Commission's action. Blogger, writer and organic farmer Michelle Regalado Deatrick does not know if she'll be able to keep her livestock, because about half of her 80-acre farm may not be zoned for farm animals.

"We're building up a mixed production farm, planning to farm during retirement, and we have a permit in hand for a livestock facility," Deatrick said, "...Now we're having to reconsider our business plans and may sell the farm and buy a farm in a more rural area with definite [Right To Farm] protection, or move to another state that's more welcoming and protective of small farm rights."

Michigan is the same state where the DNR (Department of Natural Resources) ordered one small, local farmer to shoot all his pigs because they were the wrong "race" of pigs. This genocidal demand by the Michigan state government echoes a tyrannical anti-farming agenda at the highest levels of state government.

Michigan is also the state where Julie Bass of Oak Park was threatened with jail time for teaching her children how to grow vegetables in their own home garden. All charges against Julie were later dropped after Natural News and other independent news sources publicly shamed Oak Park bureaucrats into backing down.

Nationwide, people who attempt to grow their own food are routinely threatened with arrest and fines. One woman in Oklahoma suffered the complete destruction of her medicinal herb landscaping by local city officials who raided her home garden while she was away.

This obscene war against small farms is an attack against America herself. Our heritage, values, and culture are forever interwtined with small local farms.

Attacks against small local farms are also attacks on America's food security. Local, independent food production provides a buffer against systemic food failures that might occur, for example, after an EMP attack causes a national power grid blackout. Without power, centralized systems of food production, harvesting, transportation and retailing cannot function. But small, local farms can still produce food without electricity. So any attack against local farming is, in essense, an attack on America's national security.

And no state seems to be more determined to undermine America's national food security than Michigan, where state leaders appear to be even more insane than the leaders of Illinois.

Natural News urges farmers everywhere to fight back against this insanity and stand up for your divine right to produce your own food on your own property. Any government "authority" that attempts to take this right away from you is no authority at all: it is a tyranny.

With food prices already skyrocketing nationwide, and food security on the brink of systemic failures, only a government run by absolute fools would try to limit local food production. Perhaps when these bureaucrats are all starving one day, they can eat their regulations.

is this for real?

Last edited:
NYC Cyclist Arrested for Trying to Film a Cop with His Phone

[YT]HsX4WOQrwKU[/YT]

When 24-year-old Brooklyn resident Will Paybarah was stopped by police for running a red light on his bike on March 20, he was expecting a ticket or possibly just a warning—until he took out his phone. "When I tried to record my interaction with the officer I was arrested... in 10 seconds flat," he tells Gothamist.

The video cuts off when the officer snatches the phone out of his hand, but you can imagine how the whole thing might have gone down.

According to Paybarah, who is a graphic designer, the phone issue quickly escalated what should have been a routine traffic stop to a full-blown arrest: "After those 10 seconds I was pulled off my bike, pushed up against the metal fence, placed in handcuffs and put into the back seat of the car. Other officers came. They joked saying they were going to 'handcuff my bike to the tree.'" Paybarah was charged this week with resisting arrest, obstruction of justice, and criminal mischief.

It definitely wasn't cool for the cop to harass Paybarah, especially because New Yorkers are absolutely allowed to record police activity, but it turns out that the threat of filming the incident wasn't all the police were worried about, according to Paybarah's statement:

I was told by another officer while in the car that recording a police officer was illegal because people are using iPhones as guns and shooting cops through the camera lens...I told him that I have the right to be recording a cop and he said that there were incidents, specifically in uptown Manhattan where a kid shot a cop with his iPhone. Straight face. Very serious.
"Using iPhones as guns?" A kid who shot a cop with his iPhone? As Gothamist points out, there are phone cases with built-in stun guns but I can't off the top of my head think of any way it's possible to "shoot" someone with an iPhone. Unless he was talking about a game of some sort that lets people pretend they're shooting cops? Or, perhaps, he was speaking metaphorically?

http://gothamist.com/2014/05/02/cyclist_cop_video.php

What can I say? The NYPD strikes again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat